or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 898

post #13456 of 48720
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingus2112 View Post

Cross post. . .
from the seller:
So shell for sure?? icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gificon_gu_b_slayer[1].gificon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
They ship out today, so i'll take more and better pics when they get here! smile.gif
-James Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Congrats. You should also post pics after they come back from AE recrafting.
post #13457 of 48720
Quote:
Originally Posted by catside View Post

Congrats. You should also post pics after they come back from AE recrafting.

I will - which also begs the question: AE for recrafting or somewhere like B. Nelson? Prices are around the same. I would think the advantage of B. Nelson would be greater attention to detail. If you look in the comments section of the recrafting section on the AE site, there are a number of negative reviews - even recent ones. I would say that this isn't the norm, but all of the negatives seem to be from things overlooked - coming back with the uppers untouched, visible holes near the welt from stitching, etc.

Obviously I won't ever be able to have them recrafted by AE if I go somewhere else, but it's still an option.

-J
post #13458 of 48720

I like B Nelson's work and they offer JR soles, which isn't available at AE as far as I know. 

post #13459 of 48720
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingus2112 View Post


I will - which also begs the question: AE for recrafting or somewhere like B. Nelson? Prices are around the same. I would think the advantage of B. Nelson would be greater attention to detail. If you look in the comments section of the recrafting section on the AE site, there are a number of negative reviews - even recent ones. I would say that this isn't the norm, but all of the negatives seem to be from things overlooked - coming back with the uppers untouched, visible holes near the welt from stitching, etc.
Obviously I won't ever be able to have them recrafted by AE if I go somewhere else, but it's still an option.
-J

 

I plan to use B. Nelson some days for my C&J's or other shoes that I'm not sending back to Europe for recrafting.  That said, I absolutely plan to use AE for recrafting my AE's.  My understanding is that there is a benefit to using the original manufacturer's last for the shoe as it is recrafted.

post #13460 of 48720
I like B Nelson's work from what I have seen. Major advantage with AE is the redone cork bed. If the soles are good, just replace the heel tap, use venetian cream several applications to get rid of dryness or reno , I have never used myself but maybe saphir cordovan cream, and brush for an hour or so to get rid of that excess wax (dark areas) accumulated over years. I use a motorized shoe brush which you can make by getting a buffing head for your drill -soft ones of course, like a car buffing thingy- from home depot. For 10 bucks you will have very nice shoes with some character.
post #13461 of 48720
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Shoes1 View Post

 

If Jay works on commission, I hope he sees a much sooner reward for this invaluable service he provides.  If you do not have a regular SA, consider ordering through Jay.

Agreed. Just had an exchange with Jay and he secured a pair of boots for me. 

post #13462 of 48720
Quote:
Originally Posted by khe86 View Post

I like B Nelson's work and they offer JR soles, which isn't available at AE as far as I know. 

They have the soles, so I'm not sure why they couldn't do it. They use JR soles for all OEM shell shoes.
post #13463 of 48720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston S. View Post


They have the soles, so I'm not sure why they couldn't do it. They use JR soles for all OEM shell shoes.

 

Then I stand corrected. I don't see the option on the website and simply assumed it wasn't offered in the standard package. 

post #13464 of 48720
Quote:
Originally Posted by khe86 View Post

Then I stand corrected. I don't see the option on the website and simply assumed it wasn't offered in the standard package. 

You'd probably have to make a special request for it for non-shell shoes, but I would be surprised if you sent a pair of shell shoes back for recrafting and they didn't come back with JR soles.
post #13465 of 48720
Sir Winston seems to be correct but examine these photos to see if they are JR. BTW, those uppers are not refinished.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?25918-Allen-Edmonds-MacNeil-Recraft-pictures
post #13466 of 48720

Now a sizing question on boots. I generally wear 10D/E in the 5 last (D is a better fit once the shoe is broken in imo) and the 10D Dalton (1 last) fits very well when I tried them on yesterday.

 

My question is, for the Ralph Lauren boots, which is in the 2 last, would a 10D fit comfortably?

post #13467 of 48720
Quote:
Originally Posted by catside View Post

Sir Winston seems to be correct but examine these photos to see if they are JR. BTW, those uppers are not refinished.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?25918-Allen-Edmonds-MacNeil-Recraft-pictures

Fedora Lounge! Not the first place i'd expect to see a post on recrafting! Forgive my ignorance - are the JR soles shell? Is that why they're preferable? I was actually considering doing the combination soles. Loving them so far on my patriots!

-James
post #13468 of 48720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla View Post

Hey fellas!
I wanted to buy the "Strand with Combination Tap Sole" AE shoes online (so I can use them in winter), but I'm pretty much scared about the sizing. I downloaded the fit guide from AE's website and my measurement according to the guide is 9.5D, but in the size conversion chart (on the same fit guide) says that a 9.5 would be an equivalent to 43.5 size which I'm definitely never been, my usual size would be a 41 - 41.5. That would not be much of an issue If I could return them easily, the problem is that I'm at the end of the world.
Does anyone know about the sizing equivalence on these shoes? Has anyone had any experience sizing with the fit guide? Has anyone been on my same situation? I appreciate any help you can give me.

bump!
post #13469 of 48720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla View Post


bump!

 

I don't know if you are in the U.S., but, if you are, you could always head down to an Allen Edmonds retailer (Nordstrom, or one of their one of their own stores). The strand is a pretty common shoe for them to stock, and 9.5D is a pretty common size. If they don't have it in stock, you could try on something else (like the Park Avenue or McAllister) to pin down your size. Once you do that, you'd be pretty safe ordering the version with the tap sole.

post #13470 of 48720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla View Post


bump!

I just posted that you should check a retailer (it's a post that's in moderation), but I reread your post and saw that you're not in the country. Since that's the case, it's tough to say what to do. It may be somewhat due to the specific shape of my foot, but I've found I can wear pretty much the same size in any Cole Haan shoe as I do in a 5-last Allen Edmonds shoe (actually, my size carries across every reputable shoe company I've tried). Maybe Cole Haan is more common in Chile. Still, if you want a custom sole like that, you may have to gamble on the fit once you make some better measurements. You could always try the regular sole, which would leave you a return option and might be available from a Chilean distributor or retailer. You could possibly add some kind of taps later. Maybe custom orders should come after you've found your size from AE.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread