or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 871

post #13051 of 43066

Sure.  Belt matches shoes, otherwise these pics will give you the gist:  I toyed around with some socks that would match the burgundy color of the lining of my jacket, but ran out of time this morning.  Suit is a MTM job from a local tailor, in somewhat heavy sharkskin.  I'm pretty happy with the suit, though the trousers ended up a little baggy for my taste (probably more trad than SF-approved).  

 

 

700

 

700

 

700


Edited by bucksfan - 12/4/12 at 12:21pm
post #13052 of 43066
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_b View Post

I have to say I much prefer the 'new' shell burgundy shade compared to the old burgundy shade. I love my Leeds & Macneil in burgundy shell but as has been mentioned, the newer ones seem much closer to Alden color 8 if you like that sort of thing (which I do).
...

Myself, I love the old brownish AE shell color. It's pretty unique. Everybody makes shoes in regular color 8. Matters of taste, I guess.

Bucksfan, your suit looks great.
post #13053 of 43066

I know this is a long shot, but anybody have a pair of Amsterdams in 11.5D they are looking to sell?  Called outlet, price is back up to 200, and they don't have that size.  Just thought I'd ask here.

 

Thanks

post #13054 of 43066
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksfan View Post

Sure.  Belt matches shoes, otherwise these pics will give you the gist:  I toyed around with some socks that would match the burgundy color of the lining of my jacket, but ran out of time this morning.  Suit is a MTM job from a local tailor, in somewhat heavy sharkskin.  I'm pretty happy with the suit, though the trousers ended up a little baggy for my taste (probably more trad than SF-approved).  







Wow man!!! Suit looks great and the shoes look stunning!!! Dare I say better than AE's walnut color? Those might be your best looking calf shoes. I can't wait for mine to arrive after that picture icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif. The space between the wingtip and the brogueing near the laces doesnt seem too short which is great IMO.
post #13055 of 43066

Thank you, I treated them with 2 coats of renovateur, and did a quick shine job with 2 coats of clear kiwi last night.  I wore them through the rain at lunch, and took the picture after that... pretty impressive.  

 

I hope yours come soon (and look great!)

post #13056 of 43066
does anyone have any experience with the 1-511 (long branch, dalton, leeds), specifically, the Bradley model?

i'm a pretty solid 10D in the 5-65 (strand and neumok) and the 8 last (delray, clifton) so i figured based on the descriptions, a 10D in the 1-511 would also work.

the (used) Bradleys just arrived, and they are TINY. super tiny. i would think they were a 8.5D or 9D, not a 10D.

how do you guys adjust from your 5 / 8 last sizes to get a proper fit in the 1 last?
post #13057 of 43066
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicutioner View Post

does anyone have any experience with the 1-511 (long branch, dalton, leeds), specifically, the Bradley model?
i'm a pretty solid 10D in the 5-65 (strand and neumok) and the 8 last (delray, clifton) so i figured based on the descriptions, a 10D in the 1-511 would also work.
the (used) Bradleys just arrived, and they are TINY. super tiny. i would think they were a 8.5D or 9D, not a 10D.
how do you guys adjust from your 5 / 8 last sizes to get a proper fit in the 1 last?

I wear the same size (12D) in Malverns (1 last), Strands and Park Avenues (5 last) and Delrays (8 last).  I find the Malvern to be more narrow than my 5 last shoes, but not as narrow as my 8 last shoes, which border on being uncomfortable.

post #13058 of 43066
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Shoes1 View Post

I wear the same size (12D) in Malverns (1 last), Strands and Park Avenues (5 last) and Delrays (8 last). I find the Malvern to be more narrow than my 5 last shoes, but not as narrow as my 8 last shoes, which border on being uncomfortable.

Interesting ...

5 and 8: 9D
1: 10C and/or 10D

A 9D Malvern is downright painful. I got rid of my 9.5D Malverns because they were too tight for my liking.
post #13059 of 43066
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicutioner View Post

does anyone have any experience with the 1-511 (long branch, dalton, leeds), specifically, the Bradley model?
i'm a pretty solid 10D in the 5-65 (strand and neumok) and the 8 last (delray, clifton) so i figured based on the descriptions, a 10D in the 1-511 would also work.
the (used) Bradleys just arrived, and they are TINY. super tiny. i would think they were a 8.5D or 9D, not a 10D.
how do you guys adjust from your 5 / 8 last sizes to get a proper fit in the 1 last?

you got that right ....
post #13060 of 43066
Quote:
Originally Posted by zazadojo View Post

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

1000

 

Very nice rich-looking color.  Great job!  Makes me think about tinkering with various shoes/boots.

post #13061 of 43066
Quote:
Originally Posted by zazadojo View Post

Thanks, I just picked up a pair of Strands and am likely to do the same thing. I used the dark brown Kiwi as well.
I kinda felt I had to try to darken mine - they were seconds, and one toe had some barely visible darker streaking. I'm not unhappy with how they turned out. Am curious, on a related note, to see how the new Bourbon finish looks in person

J
post #13062 of 43066

1000

 

1000


Hey everyone... long time lurker on this thread, just joined! These are some Elgins I just bought from eBay... they were a great deal and are absolutely beautiful, very well made shoes but sadly, they do not fit. :( They're 8.5D, I'm guessing I fell victim to the common problem of the rough series shoes fitting a bit too loose. So I have nothing to do with them now. I'd be interested to know if Allen Edmonds ever does exchanges on things like this, I've heard amazing tales of them taking losses to satisfy a customer - good strategy, as those stories always make their way onto the internet! Anyway, that's my (sad) first experience with Allen Edmonds. And I am definitely not trying to spam, but if anybody here is interested in these you'd make my day! :) Thanks for all the help along the way people! 

post #13063 of 43066



Bucksfan - Sincere thanks, these are frickin amazing.

I've gone over them with a fine toothed comb looking for the reason that it might be a second.

Inside and out, I've found NO defects, not even tiny/borderline ones, which is impressive since I've had way too many first quality AE shoes/boots come in with obvious defects.

I ordered the Rust/Russet pair, in 9.0 (Perfect fit for me in the 5-Last) as well as 8.5 (Thought I might size down half a size to be safe if the 9 was too large).

I also ordered a Tan pair in 9.0 (Took a gamble on the sizing by not ordering in 8.5 as well), they should come in by Thursday and I am hoping that they are equally as nice.

Turns out the 9.0 is PERFECT, so I would call these true to size, just like my 744LTDs. I am wearing them now and they are insanely comfortable.

The Tan color is likely going to be too bright out of the box for my taste (Looks to be the same color as awful timberland boots), so I will darken them.
post #13064 of 43066
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpent View Post

Question for anyone who may have experience here.  I snagged some 10.5 D brown Long Branches during Black Friday from the Jeffersonville outlet.  Got 'em for $195.00.icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gifWhen I recieved them, the right boot was beyond my tolerance for a seconds defect.  I didn't take a picture, but the leather in the plain space just above the wingtip (where the creases should occur) was all wrinkled and stretched looking.  It essentially looked like it had been creased sideways (perpendicular to the place the normal creasing would occur).  So I had them send me another pair, and they arrived yesterday.  They pretty much look perfect, and I had a hard time figuring out what made them seconds.  The issue is, this time they sent me a 10 D by mistake.  My heart sank at first, but I decided to try them on anyway.  Wearing my normal dress socks, they were snug.  I put the 10.5 D pair back on and decided that they may be a bit large if I am wearing the same dress socks (when I tried them on the first time I was wearing a thicker hiking sock).  I am a 10.5 D in all my other AE's so far and I know the 1-511 last fits my foot perfectly.  This pair of Long Branches almost felt similar to a 7 lasted shoe on my foot (and 7 lasted shoes do make my toes a bit more snug due to the taper, but I wear them anyway).  I know it may just come down to a simple choice of wearing a thinner dress sock as opposed to a thicker hiking sock, but I am wondering if I should reasonably expect them to stretch just enough to end up fitting perfectly.  Also, they have the thicker foam insole, and I am not sure if it will slightly compress over time allowing more room for my foot.  Essentially, I am feeling like I may be slightly between sizes in this boot.  In 10.5 D with thick socks they fit well, but with dress socks there is a little room for movement.  In 10 D, with dress socks they are snug, and I assume thicker socks would be way too tight.  I am inclined to keep them under the assumption that the snugness may alleviate slightly after breaking in and I will definitely wear them around the house for a few days before deciding.  I just thought I would put this out there in case anyone has some words of wisdom.  If I decide to keep them I'll post pictures soon!

 

You've got some good feedback already so just a few comments:

- To me, a big factor in fit is that I prefer more room in the toe box than less.  I don't like very snug shoes/boots or having my toes cramped.  So I think your preference on this might be worth consideration.

- With boots, you don't really have to worry about appearance of socks as much as with shoes.  So to me it comes down to what kind of socks do you prefer wearing?  Dress or thicker ones?  In cooler climates, you'd get by with wearing thicker socks through more of the year.

 

Anyway, good luck with your decision.

post #13065 of 43066
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennkim View Post


Bucksfan - Sincere thanks, these are frickin amazing.
I've gone over them with a fine toothed comb looking for the reason that it might be a second.
Inside and out, I've found NO defects, not even tiny/borderline ones, which is impressive since I've had way too many first quality AE shoes/boots come in with obvious defects.
I ordered the Rust/Russet pair, in 9.0 (Perfect fit for me in the 5-Last) as well as 8.5 (Thought I might size down half a size to be safe if the 9 was too large).
I also ordered a Tan pair in 9.0 (Took a gamble on the sizing by not ordering in 8.5 as well), they should come in by Thursday and I am hoping that they are equally as nice.
Turns out the 9.0 is PERFECT, so I would call these true to size, just like my 744LTDs. I am wearing them now and they are insanely comfortable.
The Tan color is likely going to be too bright out of the box for my taste (Looks to be the same color as awful timberland boots), so I will darken them.

MORE PICS
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread