or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 864

post #12946 of 53266

Does anyone know if there's an upcoming sale on shoe tree or should I just grab AE's at $20?

post #12947 of 53266
Jos a bank runs a 3 for 1 deal occasionally.
post #12948 of 53266
Quote:
Does anyone know if there's an upcoming sale on shoe tree or should I just grab AE's at $20?

 

 

Shoe bank is selling them for $15.99 right now. Going to pick up a few myself.

 

Unrelated question that should probably go in the shoe care thread but I thought I'd try asking here first.

 

I've just started working recently and have never bought any nice shoes before. I just splurged and got a few pairs these past few weeks and need some pointers on how to care for them. I've tried reading through the shoe care threads but they are immensely long and a bit of information overload, especially since I'm unfamiliar with a lot of the terms/types of shoes/products/etc.

 

Right now, I have a pair of black AE Park Avenues, black AE McAllisters, walnut AE Strands, dark brown Bruno Magli Calvon, and dark brown Bruno Magli Mydrone.

 

In terms of caring for these, what do I have to do? I've seen comments from people saying that I have to care for them before I even wear them. Do I just use a cleaner/conditioner before I wear for the first time?

 

Also for products, is this enough or do some of these serve duplicate purposes?

 

AE Horsehair Shine Brush (do I need multiple brushes for different colors (e.g., 1 for black, 1 for brown?)

AE Horsehair Dauber (same question regarding multiple for different colors)

AE Conditioner/Cleaner

AE Premium Shoe Polish (1 black and 1 dark brown, or neutral???)

Saphir Renovateur

AE Shoe Trees

 

If that's enough, what's the basic process for care? Every week or two weeks I'm supposed to...?

 

Sorry for the newbie question but I'm really lost in this. Thanks!

post #12949 of 53266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karembeu View Post

Unrelated question that should probably go in the shoe care thread but I thought I'd try asking here first.

 

Right now, I have a pair of black AE Park Avenues, black AE McAllisters, walnut AE Strands, dark brown Bruno Magli Calvon, and dark brown Bruno Magli Mydrone.

 

AE Horsehair Shine Brush (do I need multiple brushes for different colors (e.g., 1 for black, 1 for brown?)

AE Horsehair Dauber (same question regarding multiple for different colors)

AE Conditioner/Cleaner

AE Premium Shoe Polish (1 black and 1 dark brown, or neutral???)

Saphir Renovateur

AE Shoe Trees

 

<snips>

 

 

Everyone has a different process, but what you listed will work just fine.

 

If you want to be more economical, I have good results using:

- Kiwi horse-hair brush from the supermarket (it is advised to use one for each colour, but I do not abide by this, personally)

- Old shirts or fabric for wiping down shoes, applying and buffing product

- Kiwi wax polish, you would want Black, Brown and Neutral or Tan for the Walnut

- Whatever decent shoe trees are on sale, Jos A Banks or $10 ones from Nordstrom's Rack

post #12950 of 53266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Iron View Post

Yes it is. I did not post about these on the 1K thread, selfish of me but in case the 10D are too large I wanted to slant things in my favor that they would still have a 9.5D available on Wednesday when I will know for sure. I'm tempted to order the brown\tan too.

 

I don't have time right now to reply to your post on the other thread headed out the door and will send you a PM later when I get home later. But to answer your other question quickly: these are the best bang for the buck for what you want IME- Perfket Hunters They are in the picture I posted there next to my Russell's.

 

I used to live near you although I was on the other side of the Sound... So the Olympics rule and the Cascades drool... laugh.gif j/k

Thanks CI, I will check out the meindl boots next time I am at cabelas. :)

post #12951 of 53266
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmdsimpson View Post

Can you elaborate on the defects? This is good to know.

I wore them maybe 10-12 times over the course of five weeks and the toe cap started to come unstitched. Looking at it more closely, it appears the toe cap was not fully sewn on. There was a solid inch that was not sewn on and I suspect they had been glued to stay down. I emailed AE, who told me to contact Wolverine. I emailed Wolverine, who told me, "tough luck."

After I get them fixed, I'll likely sell them and never purchase a damn thing from Wolverine again. I understand they're seconds, but they're still over $600 and it's massively frustrating they A) would sell a boot with such a defect in the first place and B) not stand behind the product afterward. Wolverine is, as far as I am concerned, a shit company and I have no interest in their products anymore.
post #12952 of 53266
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioImpemba View Post

Everyone has a different process, but what you listed will work just fine.

 

If you want to be more economical, I have good results using:

- Kiwi horse-hair brush from the supermarket (it is advised to use one for each colour, but I do not abide by this, personally)

- Old shirts or fabric for wiping down shoes, applying and buffing product

- Kiwi wax polish, you would want Black, Brown and Neutral or Tan for the Walnut

- Whatever decent shoe trees are on sale, Jos A Banks or $10 ones from Nordstrom's Rack

+1. I use the Allen Edmonds cleaner/conditioner and premium shoe polish. But I also use a little black kiwi wax on the toe caps of my Park Avenues. The brand of brushes doesn't really matter, as long as they are horsehair (some of them are more comfortable in your hand, though). I do use a separate brush for black/brown, although I don't know if this is a must. I'm also a big proponent of using old t-shirts as polish rags; they work just fine.

post #12953 of 53266

Bootspell can you tell me what color polish you plan on using. I was thinking of some saphir burgandy wax or maybe something black cherry to darken them up a bit

post #12954 of 53266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Haines View Post

Bootspell can you tell me what color polish you plan on using. I was thinking of some saphir burgandy wax or maybe something black cherry to darken them up a bit

I would like to know this as well.

 

I've been looking at pictures of the krause boot and it is hard to gauge the color.  I currently have saphir mahogony cream polish but i'm thinking the saphir burgundy might be a better color.  We'll just have to wait and see once I receive a pair.

post #12955 of 53266
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioImpemba View Post


Everyone has a different process, but what you listed will work just fine.

If you want to be more economical, I have good results using:
- Kiwi horse-hair brush from the supermarket (it is advised to use one for each colour, but I do not abide by this, personally)
- Old shirts or fabric for wiping down shoes, applying and buffing product
- Kiwi wax polish, you would want Black, Brown and Neutral or Tan for the Walnut
- Whatever decent shoe trees are on sale, Jos A Banks or $10 ones from Nordstrom's Rack

+1. Basically, go easy on the product. In your situation, I'd go with a brush for black and one for brown. When you add burgundy shoes, get a separate brush for those. Treat the shoes with some sort of conditioner / cleaner periodically, and then brush them up and use a clean shirt or polishing cloth.

Then, apply the polish from the can to your old t-shirt and onto the shoe. Let it "haze" then use the right brush to brush it off. Buff with a clean shirt or polishing cloth, and consider whether they need a second light coat.

When they look like they need it, do it again. If you want to lengthen the time between polishing sessions, I have had good success with a damp rag followed by brushing with a horsehair brush after wearing (yes, on calfskin shoes as well as shell shoes).

Daubers can be skipped, in favor of old t-shirts. Kiwi wax is good stuff, just go easy on it.
post #12956 of 53266
What do you guys think of AE carnuba wax? I have that for my black and burgundy shoes (though the Premium Polish for walnut and brown)? Will be using it with Saphir Reno. I assume that you use the wax first and then Reno?
post #12957 of 53266
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioImpemba View Post

 

 

Everyone has a different process, but what you listed will work just fine.

 

If you want to be more economical, I have good results using:

- Kiwi horse-hair brush from the supermarket (it is advised to use one for each colour, but I do not abide by this, personally)

- Old shirts or fabric for wiping down shoes, applying and buffing product

- Kiwi wax polish, you would want Black, Brown and Neutral or Tan for the Walnut

- Whatever decent shoe trees are on sale, Jos A Banks or $10 ones from Nordstrom's Rack

 

Thanks Mario, Firefox, and bucks. This will give me a good basis to work off of.

post #12958 of 53266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Haines View Post

Bootspell can you tell me what color polish you plan on using. I was thinking of some saphir burgandy wax or maybe something black cherry to darken them up a bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmejson View Post

I would like to know this as well.

I've been looking at pictures of the krause boot and it is hard to gauge the color.  I currently have saphir mahogony cream polish but i'm thinking the saphir burgundy might be a better color.  We'll just have to wait and see once I receive a pair.

As itsmejson says, we have to wait and see what color arrives and how the pair each receives is IRL. There could be variation.

If I end up wanting to just darken them (as opposed to making them more brown), I might just apply AE cleaner/conditioner as I've seen that darken some of my boots. I've also found that neutral Meltonian cream darkens as well. Otherwise, I'll just use my usual Saphir Reno. More later when the boots arrive. Hope others will share what they're doing as well.
post #12959 of 53266
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksdb View Post

What do you guys think of AE carnuba wax? I have that for my black and burgundy shoes (though the Premium Polish for walnut and brown)? Will be using it with Saphir Reno. I assume that you use the wax first and then Reno?

I just bought some, but haven't used it yet. I would recommend Reno then wax.
post #12960 of 53266
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksdb View Post

What do you guys think of AE carnuba wax? I have that for my black and burgundy shoes (though the Premium Polish for walnut and brown)? Will be using it with Saphir Reno. I assume that you use the wax first and then Reno?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksfan View Post

I just bought some, but haven't used it yet. I would recommend Reno then wax.

 

And so do I. Reno is basically the same as AE cleaner\conditioner, but I like Reno a bit better. I like AE wax for a high polish. The premium polish contains cream and wax and isn't quite as high of a shine in my experience. Both work well. AE has several videos on shoe care that are basic but good. http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/ShoeCareView?catalogId=40000000001&langId=-1&storeId=1

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootSpell View Post

As itsmejson says, we have to wait and see what color arrives and how the pair each receives is IRL. There could be variation.
If I end up wanting to just darken them (as opposed to making them more brown), I might just apply AE cleaner/conditioner as I've seen that darken some of my boots. I've also found that neutral Meltonian cream darkens as well. Otherwise, I'll just use my usual Saphir Reno. More later when the boots arrive. Hope others will share what they're doing as well.

 

My thought is that the boots pictured on the wingtip site have been burnished. There was a discussion about burnishing by the factory vs. doing it your self awhile back. As said we will have to wait and see what they look like in real life. My thoughts so far are black shoe cream on the stitching like the wingtip picture and go from there. I did darken my dublin leather McTavish with neatsfoot oil after seer did his and they turned out well, that may be one path. Not sure what the finish on these boots is like and will just have to wait and see. Also interested in what others will do once they are in hand.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread