I'm referring to the bottom of the shoe. Sorry for not being clear about that.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAllen Edmondstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Malvern Boottagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's San Marco Oxfordtagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's The Links Oxfordtagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Wilbert Lace-Uptagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
Related Forum Threads
- IC: Allen Edmonds Shoes and BELTS MEGA THREAD Sale!!! Carlyle, University, Mora 2.0, McTavish,... Last post on 9/29/14 at 2:55pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Battle of the Longwings: Alden vs. Florsheim Limited vs. Allen Edmonds Last post on 6/20/13 at 4:36pm in Classic Menswear
- $650 ALLEN EDMONDS Horween Shell Cordovan 10 D Bradley Goodyear Welted Shoes Last post on 9/30/14 at 6:41am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- 4 PAIRS OF EXOTIC SKIN SHOES - ALLEN EDMONDS & MEZLAN Last post on 1/29/14 at 1:13pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Allen Edmonds Berkley 9D PTB (Sleeker than Leeds) Last post on 7/1/13 at 1:49pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Andrew Lock
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 850
Styleforum Top Picks
Pictures will get you in trouble!! Did you get the waxy brown or the dark brown? Either is a great choice. And $195?? That's way crazy! I think I paid $270 when they were on sale last month. I'm just not crazy about the grey ones. Well, I guess they're okay but I think I'd find them not versatile enough. The Long Branches are a great boot to just kick about in. Most of my boots have leather soles so these are great when the weather's not so good. Hope you really enjoy them.
I would jump on those Brantley's if they were available today.
I got the waxy brown, same as yours. I was surprised by the price as well. They were already marked down to $275.00, and the Jeffersonville, Ohio outlet was willing to give me an additional 30% off for Black Friday. What you are describing is pretty much what I intend them for (jeans on weeknights/weekends during fall and winter, or maybe for work if it is going to be very wet). I wear chinos to work every day, so they should be fine for wet work days IMO. I agree on the grey ones as well. No offense to anyone who gets them, but up close in person the grain has a strange appearance to me. It's hard to put your finger on it, but it almost doesn't quite look like leather. The grey Aberdeen and McTavish are the same way. They are almost synthetic looking in their appearance (which you can't tell from the photos).
I know that my question isn’t completely relevant in this thread, but this is really the only one I frequent here on SF, so I figured I’d post here as well. I have a pair of Paul Stuart Stuart’s choice shoes which are crafted by Grenson to their Masterpiece standards. It appears as if the sole of the shoes have some sort of soft, fabric-like top layer which is now wearing away. Does anybody know how to describe this properly? Are there any cobblers in Chicago, or anywhere for that matter, who can resole shoes to include this feature? I plan on contacting the store I purchased them from as well, just wanted to see if anybody had thoughts on SF.
You may need to post some pictures of that. I haven't ever seen this either, and an internet search didn't really bring up much. My first impulse, however, is to say that you will not be able to have a local cobbler replicate that. It is probably some sort of special concept thought up by Paul Stuart to make them different. Can you send them back to Grenson?
You really won't find much love in these threads for black wingtips. They are as heavy on the broguing as you can get, which puts them amongst the most casual dress shoes. However, black balmorals are considered most formal. So they sort of cancel each other out, which makes them not really fit a wardrobe niche very well. Not to mention that the broguing is hard to appreciate because the darkness of the black makes it hard to see as well. The merlot is far more versatile if you can overlook the savings you are seeing on the black pair.
I'll confess, they look good in the pictures. My only experience with a black brogue was when I tried on the Strand in black (only for fitting purposes, because they didn't have my size in walnut), and I really didn't like how they looked on my feet. I think that an exception to what I said above is if you have regular needs for black shoes, or if if you have all of your bases covered with other shoes, then these may be fine to have so that you can throw in some variety. However, if you are looking for a versatile shoe when building a young collection, there are better options.
Unfortunately, I wouldn't get my hopes up. I think I was extremely lucky with the find I posted above. I think the grey ones are at that price because they aren't selling and they are trying to unload them, otherwise $200.00 is an extremely low price for a boot. $275.00 for seconds is probably as good as it will get for a while unless you can combine that with another sale offer like I did.
You can still get it through Land's End. http://www.landsend.com/pp/mens-allen-edmonds-bayfield-captoe-boots~228873_-1.html
I am in no way affiliated with Allen Edmonds.
I did a search here and nothing came up, so I would like all those who enjoy their Allen Edmonds shoes to participate in this thread.
With respect to the rich boys here, this thread is for the rest of us, to also enjoy our shoes too.
As most men in North America (if not the world) cannot afford to buy Alden and up,
we do have our own 'High End' shoe options; that being primarily Allen Edmonds.
I would respectfully request that no one make silly, immature or negative commentary on this thread. (Plenty enough of that on other threads ad nauseum.)
There is a great thread over at AAAC of one of their members' visit to the Allen Edmonds factory this year (2009)
The thread is titled My Trip to Allen Edmonds a.k.a. The CEO Factory Tour
Link is here >> http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...ad.php?t=95708
Please take the time to browse through the 5 pages on that thread. I am sure there is something for everyone, in particular some 'sneak previews' of AE's 2010 Spring lineup.
Some of those models I think may even win over some of the 'hard-boiled' anti-AE souls on here.
Sample photo of AE 2010 Spring Releases (courtesy of AAAC member gman-17)
I personally own over a dozen pair of AE's, and though I occasionally drool over Lobbs (etc),
I have to be practical in my spending, and there is no other company that can give the same quality for the price, than AE. (2nd runner-up to the Florsheim Kenmoor)
Discussion & photos of your favourite Allen Edmonds shoes is requested.
Discussion of all things positive is encouraged. Please share your favourite AE's with us.
What do you like on your favourite models? etc. whether old or newer models.
To those who do not like /suppport AE product, thank you for -not- participating in this thread
- Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
Styleforum Top Picks
- › WAYWRN Composite -- 20 thumb minimum 1 minute ago
- › 3sixteen Denim Series, Bracelets, Shirts... 2 minutes ago
- › Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts? 3 minutes ago
- › When is the Next Ralph Lauren Sale? 3 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 4 minutes ago
- › The Uniqlo Thread 8 minutes ago
- › Best Dressed Statesman 9 minutes ago
- › ***SW&D Photography Thread*** 12 minutes ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 14 minutes ago
- › New Viberg for Styleforum GMTO makeups 17 minutes ago
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Men’s Jewellery Trends 2014/15
- › Watch and Jewellery Trends: Black on Black...
- › Trend Forecasting 2015: Men’s Accessories
- › Patek Philippe 175th Anniversary
- › Office Casual - The Death of the Neck Tie?
- › Best Website For The Movies?
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...