All excellent choices.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAllen Edmondstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Malvern Boottagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's San Marco Oxfordtagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's The Links Oxfordtagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Wilbert Lace-Uptagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
Related Forum Threads
- IC: Allen Edmonds Shoes and BELTS MEGA THREAD Sale!!! Mora 2.0, McTavish, Neumok, Park Ave, Fifth... Last post on Today at 1:35 pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Battle of the Longwings: Alden vs. Florsheim Limited vs. Allen Edmonds Last post on 6/20/13 at 4:36pm in Classic Menswear
- Allen Edmonds Berkley 9D PTB (Sleeker than Leeds) Last post on 7/1/13 at 1:49pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Barely worn AE Sanfords Rare color, small size! 7D Last post on 6/28/13 at 2:58pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- $100 shoe Last post on 8/3/13 at 1:20am in Classic Menswear
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Bison Made
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- Crane's Country Store
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Four Horsemen Shop
- GABE Tailored
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- Hugh & Crye
- Jeffrey George
- Kent Wang
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Malford of London
- Meermin Mallorca
- Moda Republic
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Street Bootmakers
- Passaggio Cravatte
- Paul Evans
- Portland Dry Goods
- Roden Gray
- Saddleback Leather
- Self Edge
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- United Stock Dry Goods
- Upstate Stock
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 846
Styleforum Top Picks
I was looking to pick up a pair of AE from Amazon with the sale going on and hoping for some quick advice. Looking at AE since I wear 14D and they seem to be the only place to find nice shoes in that size.
Right now, I almost never have a need to wear dress shoes. I'm in the military and don't need them for work. This would be my first pair of dress shoes to start a shoe collection to build up over the years. With that in mind, I was thinking about one of the following:
Park Avenue or Fifth Avenue in black for formal occasions. Leaning towards Park Avenue.
Fifth Avenue, Park Avenue, Strand, or Sanford in brown or walnut for more casual occasions. Currently leaning Fifth Avenue in brown.
Anyone have an opinion on one of these for a first pair of shoes?
Formal: either one
Casual: Strand or Sanford; definitely not Park Ave; probably not Fifth Ave
How about some more collection photos? Here's mine: (forgive the non-AEs). I tried to get some good pics, but with the overcast day I had to use flash to get the color differences.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Left to Right:
Front Row: Walnut grain Macneil, black calf Grayson, black calf Park Ave, black shell Leeds, RL Marlow brown shell PTB, Burgundy shell Leeds, "black cherry" shell Sanford
2nd Row: RL Marlow brown shell tassel loafer, burgundy shell Randolph, burgundy shell Bradley, brown shell Strand, RL brown shell Marlow wingtip, burgundy shell Macneil, burgundy shell Cambridge
Top Row: Alden chukka in #8 shell, Alden captoe boot in #8 shell, AE Darlton in walnut shell, AE Bayfield in brown chromexcel
No Flash (Click to show)
Closeup of the right side of 1st row
closeup of the left side of 1st row
closeup of left side of row 2
closeup of right side of row 2
shell PTBs and Chukkas (black, dark brown, burgundy, Alden #8)
brown shell no flash (Click to show)
Excellent collection, and they appear well maintained as others have pointed out. Depending on climate, perhaps another rubber soled shoe/boot? Or maybe a light brown loafer for summer/sockless wear?
Unfortunately they only make the Sanford in walnut and black. The walnut is a beautiful shoe though!
I think they would have been more interesting if they didn't have the strap/buckle. As they are, they definitely aren't for me.
It needs to be louder with more brogueing and maybe a shawl and tassels and lose the laces and make it like an Ashbury with a cinch strap. More cowbell.
I like it and might get a pair if the price is right--if I spot a returned /seconds pair at an outlet sometime down the road. I do like the pebbled look and the color of the leather.
I have been looking at these for a few days now and still can't fall in love.
As others have said, I think there is just too much going on with the boot... kind of like it can't decide what it wants to be when it grows up.
I think ordering is open until 12/31 on this, so will give it more time to see if it becomes a match. But for now, probably a "pass" for me.
- Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
- › Advice on first pair of dress shoes: Grenson vs Allen Edmonds 11 seconds ago
- › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here 1 minute ago
- › MA-1 Jackets Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts 2 minutes ago
- › A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Things that are pissing you off. 2 minutes ago
- › The WAYWT Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Bourbon. 2 minutes ago
- › Random health and exercise thoughts 3 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 4 minutes ago
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Loake Strand by wurger
- › Adidas x The Soloist Rod Laver Vin by BenMusch
- › Loake 1880 Aldwych by wurger
- › Herschel Ravine Black/Tan FA 12 by pfmicks
- › Vans Footwear The Barbour Classic Slip On Sneaker,10.5,Green by ATLnoob
- › Berg & Berg unlined silk bow tie (SS'13) by MTB-85
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques... by mimo
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits by LA Guy
- › San Francisco Shopping Map by j
- › So you want to design your own clothes? by DaveJames
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras) by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans) by alyssaw