All excellent choices.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- IC: REDISCOVER AMERICA Allen Edmonds Shoes and BELTS MEGA THREAD Sale!!! Carlyle, University,... Last post on 10/22/14 at 8:20pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Battle of the Longwings: Alden vs. Florsheim Limited vs. Allen Edmonds Last post on 6/20/13 at 4:36pm in Classic Menswear
- $650 ALLEN EDMONDS Horween Shell Cordovan 10 D Bradley Goodyear Welted Shoes Last post on 9/30/14 at 6:41am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- 4 PAIRS OF EXOTIC SKIN SHOES - ALLEN EDMONDS & MEZLAN Last post on 1/29/14 at 1:13pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Allen Edmonds Berkley 9D PTB (Sleeker than Leeds) Last post on 7/1/13 at 1:49pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Andrew Lock
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 846
Styleforum Top Picks
I was looking to pick up a pair of AE from Amazon with the sale going on and hoping for some quick advice. Looking at AE since I wear 14D and they seem to be the only place to find nice shoes in that size.
Right now, I almost never have a need to wear dress shoes. I'm in the military and don't need them for work. This would be my first pair of dress shoes to start a shoe collection to build up over the years. With that in mind, I was thinking about one of the following:
Park Avenue or Fifth Avenue in black for formal occasions. Leaning towards Park Avenue.
Fifth Avenue, Park Avenue, Strand, or Sanford in brown or walnut for more casual occasions. Currently leaning Fifth Avenue in brown.
Anyone have an opinion on one of these for a first pair of shoes?
Formal: either one
Casual: Strand or Sanford; definitely not Park Ave; probably not Fifth Ave
How about some more collection photos? Here's mine: (forgive the non-AEs). I tried to get some good pics, but with the overcast day I had to use flash to get the color differences.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Left to Right:
Front Row: Walnut grain Macneil, black calf Grayson, black calf Park Ave, black shell Leeds, RL Marlow brown shell PTB, Burgundy shell Leeds, "black cherry" shell Sanford
2nd Row: RL Marlow brown shell tassel loafer, burgundy shell Randolph, burgundy shell Bradley, brown shell Strand, RL brown shell Marlow wingtip, burgundy shell Macneil, burgundy shell Cambridge
Top Row: Alden chukka in #8 shell, Alden captoe boot in #8 shell, AE Darlton in walnut shell, AE Bayfield in brown chromexcel
No Flash (Click to show)
Closeup of the right side of 1st row
closeup of the left side of 1st row
closeup of left side of row 2
closeup of right side of row 2
shell PTBs and Chukkas (black, dark brown, burgundy, Alden #8)
brown shell no flash (Click to show)
Excellent collection, and they appear well maintained as others have pointed out. Depending on climate, perhaps another rubber soled shoe/boot? Or maybe a light brown loafer for summer/sockless wear?
Unfortunately they only make the Sanford in walnut and black. The walnut is a beautiful shoe though!
I think they would have been more interesting if they didn't have the strap/buckle. As they are, they definitely aren't for me.
It needs to be louder with more brogueing and maybe a shawl and tassels and lose the laces and make it like an Ashbury with a cinch strap. More cowbell.
I like it and might get a pair if the price is right--if I spot a returned /seconds pair at an outlet sometime down the road. I do like the pebbled look and the color of the leather.
I have been looking at these for a few days now and still can't fall in love.
As others have said, I think there is just too much going on with the boot... kind of like it can't decide what it wants to be when it grows up.
I think ordering is open until 12/31 on this, so will give it more time to see if it becomes a match. But for now, probably a "pass" for me.
- Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
Styleforum Top Picks
- › Everyday Sneaker For The Average Joe? 3 seconds ago
- › THE OFFICIAL "streetwear" BALLER BOOT/SHOE THREAD ***700usd Min*** 3 seconds ago
- › Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread 1 minute ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread 1 minute ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 2 minutes ago
- › Engineered Garments FW 14 2 minutes ago
- › Peir Wu 2 minutes ago
- › Official Guitar, Amp, Pedals, and Gear Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Men’s Jewellery Trends 2014/15
- › Watch and Jewellery Trends: Black on Black...
- › Trend Forecasting 2015: Men’s Accessories
- › Patek Philippe 175th Anniversary
- › Office Casual - The Death of the Neck Tie?
- › Best Website For The Movies?
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...