or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 836

post #12526 of 53223

Hey all, quick question regarding putting a topy/vibram sole on a pair of AEs? I have a pair of well-used McTavishs that I really love. I am currently living in Turkey so can't send them in easily/cheaply to get recrafted when the time comes. Would I be able to put a rubber sole on the existing, used sole? Or does it need a fresh and clean sole? 

post #12527 of 53223

All Amok questions:

 

I own a pair of Amoks in brown suede, purchased last summer. They do squeak, but after a while it's not really noticeable. I sized same in Amok as shoes in 5 last (PA, Strand, etc.)

 

Hope that helps.

post #12528 of 53223
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmar View Post

I like them.  The price is pretty good.  But I'll pass this time around since I'd only wear them once a year.  But those colors look good together--and they always look better in real life than in the pictures.  And extra laces too.  I'd wear them if I had a Christmas party to go to.

Here are my Christmas AE's - these are bit more bold


Chris
post #12529 of 53223
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksdb View Post

Seems like the new bourbon polish is not out yet. Which color polish should I use for the bourbon color shoes?
Also, does anyone have any experience with any of the belts from Hansen's Clothing? For around $45 each they seem like a good alternative to spending extra for AE belts.
http://hansensclothing.com/display.asp?id=7672&sra=5

Those belts look very decent, but I admit I don't have any. I do, however, order Robert Talbot ties from Hansen's. Generally speaking they sell high quality merchandise.
post #12530 of 53223
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohneokc View Post


Here are my Christmas AE's - these are bit more bold

Chris

Those are sharp.  You could hang them on the tree as ornaments to get a little more use out of them during the Christmas season.

post #12531 of 53223
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohneokc View Post

Here are my Christmas AE's - these are bit more bold

Chris

Wow, they are very similar to the ones in your avatar. You must have a very good collection to feel the need to add those to the rotation happy.gif.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy View Post

Those belts look very decent, but I admit I don't have any. I do, however, order Robert Talbot ties from Hansen's. Generally speaking they sell high quality merchandise.

Thanks for your reply. I'm a bit curious if the ones I quoted are 100% calfskin and where they are made.

EDIT: It says the belts are kipskin. What is that exactly?

EDIT #2: Kipskin from Google: From young adult cows, this soft leather is somewhere in between calfskin and cowhide..

Not sure if I should go with these or AE calfskin belts...
post #12532 of 53223
Anyone have any reviews on the wide basic belt? They look fine but on AE the reviews are pretty negative.
post #12533 of 53223
Just called my local Allen Edmonds outlet in Birmingham and got a pair of Elgin's for $99 as per their doorbusters sale. All of their discontinued shoes are $99 through 10pm tomorrow night. I'm interested in maybe another pair or two during this sale, if anyone can help me think of some of their other discontinued models I would appreciate it. I currently have the Daltons in walnut, Maxfield in chili, Pomona in a dark brown, and now Strand in tan. If you have any other recommendations, feel free to let me know.
post #12534 of 53223
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksdb View Post

Anyone have any reviews on the wide basic belt? They look fine but on AE the reviews are pretty negative.

What confuses me is that the wide basic dress gets some pretty bad reviews:

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF39501_1_40000000001_-1

Where as, the Manistee Belt gets pretty much, great reviews:

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF74011_1_40000000001_-1

They should both be made out of the same leather right?
post #12535 of 53223
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksdb View Post

Anyone have any reviews on the wide basic belt? They look fine but on AE the reviews are pretty negative.

I have 3 - walnut, brown, chili - and I am very happy with all 3.

Chris
post #12536 of 53223
Yes I have the Manistee and chose it because partly of the good reviews. I might add the wide basic but then the chocolate suede players will be $ 99. Anyone have these? Could be good at that price for jeans and beater shoes.
post #12537 of 53223
Any one call the jeffersonville store yet tonight
post #12538 of 53223
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksdb View Post

Anyone have any reviews on the wide basic belt? They look fine but on AE the reviews are pretty negative.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohneokc View Post


I have 3 - walnut, brown, chili - and I am very happy with all 3.
Chris

I also have a few of these belts - walnut, brown, chili & black - very happy with all 4.

 - one thing I might add is that since there are 2 belt keepers it sometimes keeps you from centering your belt because it gets stuck at the belt loop on your pants.  What I did to fix that was to remove the outer belt keeper.

post #12539 of 53223
Quote:
Originally Posted by adsmith4 View Post

Just called my local Allen Edmonds outlet in Birmingham and got a pair of Elgin's for $99 as per their doorbusters sale. All of their discontinued shoes are $99 through 10pm tomorrow night. I'm interested in maybe another pair or two during this sale, if anyone can help me think of some of their other discontinued models I would appreciate it. I currently have the Daltons in walnut, Maxfield in chili, Pomona in a dark brown, and now Strand in tan. If you have any other recommendations, feel free to let me know.

what other shoes were on the discounted list?  I maybe interested in those elgins.

 - Does anyone know how sizing is with the elgins?

 

I wear:

9E - McTavish

9.5E - PA & Strand

10D - Dalton

post #12540 of 53223
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmejson View Post

I also have a few of these belts - walnut, brown, chili & black - very happy with all 4.
 - one thing I might add is that since there are 2 belt keepers it sometimes keeps you from centering your belt because it gets stuck at the belt loop on your pants.  What I did to fix that was to remove the outer belt keeper.

Do you guys have the brown or dark brown wide belt? Wondering which will go better with brown Delray.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread