or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 829

post #12421 of 50909
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingus2112 View Post

Just ordered a pair of Walnut Strands seconds from the shoebank. $199 as suggested a page or three back. They didn't have my size, so they'll be getting it from another store. She implied that holiday shipping is crazy, so I won't likely see them until next week. When I inquired a week ago, they only had two in my size so I figured i'd sacrifice the $18 (if I ordered them between 3 and 6am on friday from the store mentioned on the last page I could have gotten them for $181) to make sure they actually had my size left. $18 is $18, but i'd be pretty pissed if I got up at 3am only to find out that I missed it!
She also suggested chili edge dressing over the natural. Anybody care to comment on that? I needed chili ANYWAY, so i didn't waste my money. Just want to make sure i'm not significantly changing the shoe. I also recall talk about a lighter polish to use on the strands other than walnut. Something about the walnut polish darkening the shoe?
-James

 

I use chili edge dressing to correct the color when I scuff the sole edges (I put a little bit on a q-tip and dab the scuffs).  When I am just doing my regular polishing routine, I use natural edge dressing.  Many on here say they use chili all the time, and I am sure that is fine, but my experience is that it is slightly darker/redder than the more brownish color of the natural welt.  I think it comes down to personal preference in the long run, and you can't go wrong either way.  As for the walnut polish darkening the shoe, again some have said they have had trouble with this.  It hasn't really been my experience, but those who have say that they prefer cognac polish.  Beware though, this color is being discontinued, so get it quick if you decide to go that route.  It is under the clearance tab on AE's website.  Enjoy your Strands!

post #12422 of 50909
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingus2112 View Post

Just ordered a pair of Walnut Strands seconds from the shoebank. $199 as suggested a page or three back. They didn't have my size, so they'll be getting it from another store. She implied that holiday shipping is crazy, so I won't likely see them until next week. When I inquired a week ago, they only had two in my size so I figured i'd sacrifice the $18 (if I ordered them between 3 and 6am on friday from the store mentioned on the last page I could have gotten them for $181) to make sure they actually had my size left. $18 is $18, but i'd be pretty pissed if I got up at 3am only to find out that I missed it!
She also suggested chili edge dressing over the natural. Anybody care to comment on that? I needed chili ANYWAY, so i didn't waste my money. Just want to make sure i'm not significantly changing the shoe. I also recall talk about a lighter polish to use on the strands other than walnut. Something about the walnut polish darkening the shoe?
-James

 

Walnut or Cognac for polish, depending on your preference.  Chili for heel/sole edge dressing.  Have fun experimenting with the polish and decide what you like best.  The best thing about the color choice is you can switch if you do not like your initial result - it's not permanent.

post #12423 of 50909
Quote:
Originally Posted by catside View Post

I found these deadstock Boulevards. Any of you ever saw this style? I think they are 5 last. posting the pics to make a record of it on AE thread.


 

Mind if I ask how/where you found these? 

post #12424 of 50909
AE needs to come out with a suede cap toe balmoral. Perhaps a Fifth Avenue but a bigger cap toe.
post #12425 of 50909
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksdb View Post

AE needs to come out with a suede cap toe balmoral. Perhaps a Fifth Avenue but a bigger cap toe.

 



I agree with this wholeheartedly.

post #12426 of 50909
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksdb View Post

AE needs to come out with a suede cap toe balmoral. Perhaps a Fifth Avenue but a bigger cap toe.

 

They'll make one for you at a slight upcharge.

post #12427 of 50909
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmejson View Post

They usually are $299 on seconds.

Cordovan seconds are usually listed at $399. They rarely get down to $299. On the list the Jeffersonville outlet emailed me, the Daltons are listed at $539. So even 30% off would not get them to $299. On a more positive note, the Grayson and Cambridge in burgundy cordovan would each be about $280 with the 30% off, which is a real steal if you're looking for those models.
post #12428 of 50909
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksdb View Post

AE needs to come out with a suede cap toe balmoral. Perhaps a Fifth Avenue but a bigger cap toe.

 

They did.  Earlier in 2012, there were a bunch of suede Fifth Avenues at Nordstrom Rack, which leads me to believe it was a recently discontinued shoe.

post #12429 of 50909
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Shoes1 View Post

They did. Earlier in 2012, there were a bunch of suede Fifth Avenues at Nordstrom Rack, which leads me to believe it was a recently discontinued shoe.

Oh okay, interesting. No Nordstrom here though they are opening one soon in the next year or two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiPsi32 View Post

They'll make one for you at a slight upcharge.

Hmm might need to look into that. Don't need them yet but once I get a good rotation I would like a suede cap toe balmoral. Maybe even something with heavy brogue such as the Strand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reidrothchild View Post

Cordovan seconds are usually listed at $399. They rarely get down to $299. On the list the Jeffersonville outlet emailed me, the Daltons are listed at $539. So even 30% off would not get them to $299. On a more positive note, the Grayson and Cambridge in burgundy cordovan would each be about $280 with the 30% off, which is a real steal if you're looking for those models.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if the seconds are $399 at 30% off wouldnt they be $279?
Edited by clarksdb - 11/20/12 at 1:41pm
post #12430 of 50909
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksdb View Post


Hmm might need to look into that. Don't need them yet but once I get a good rotation I would like a suede cap toe balmoral. Maybe even something with heavy brogue such as the Strand.
 

 

I have a mocha kid suede plain cap toe bal.  It was a close out from that other American shoemaker.  They've served me very well. 

post #12431 of 50909
Quote:
Originally Posted by reidrothchild View Post

Cordovan seconds are usually listed at $399. They rarely get down to $299. On the list the Jeffersonville outlet emailed me, the Daltons are listed at $539. So even 30% off would not get them to $299. On a more positive note, the Grayson and Cambridge in burgundy cordovan would each be about $280 with the 30% off, which is a real steal if you're looking for those models.

They could have both been on sale, but both times I bought Cordovan seconds they were no more than $340. I think I might have purchased at $299 and $340 before tax.
post #12432 of 50909

I'd like to take a moment to express my gratification for Nordstrom's customer service. I ordered a pair of Cliftons and Strands during the summer sales. They fit fine at first but once broken in were a bit loose. Despite the fact that they were well worn (albeit in great shape), they took both shoes back and sent replacements in smaller sizes. This policy is far and beyond what I'd expect, but is much appreciated.

post #12433 of 50909

^^^ I purchased my first pair of AEs from Nordstrom.  I wasn't sure about the size, and the SA said wear them for a few weeks.  If you don't like them, bring them back. That kind of service is hard to beat.

post #12434 of 50909
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptoDoc View Post

I'd like to take a moment to express my gratification for Nordstrom's customer service. I ordered a pair of Cliftons and Strands during the summer sales. They fit fine at first but once broken in were a bit loose. Despite the fact that they were well worn (albeit in great shape), they took both shoes back and sent replacements in smaller sizes. This policy is far and beyond what I'd expect, but is much appreciated.

The same thing has sort of happened with my Cliftons and Park Avenue. I am ordering 9.5D from now on instead of 10D. Do you think AE will be willing to exchange used shoes?
post #12435 of 50909
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksdb View Post

The same thing has sort of happened with my Cliftons and Park Avenue. I am ordering 9.5D from now on instead of 10D. Do you think AE will be willing to exchange used shoes?

Are you TTS 10D?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread