or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 818

post #12256 of 51050
Quote:
Originally Posted by g.michael View Post


That's why I was paying close attention to it. Legal wording is funny these days (and I'm not a lawyer), so I wondered if you hand feed something through a sewing machine (as AE does), does that give you legal right to say "hand-stitched" vs. "hand-sewn". Alden can say "hand-sewn" because somebody is actually using two needles and and awl and actually manually sewing their LHS loafer. Shades of gray. Either way, the shoe looks extremely nice.

 

You are right that you have to approach wording with some skepticism these days.  My first impression was that Alden is just using a heavier gauge thread on their LHS.  The thinner thread on the Patriot makes it look a bit more machine like.  I find that AE is amongst the best when it comes to transparency and they know they are under a lot of scrutiny, so I would like to think they aren't playing with words in order to be deceitful. 

post #12257 of 51050
Quote:
Originally Posted by random-adam View Post


Byrons were on the #4 last. The first AE shoe I ever bought... wore 'em just yesterday. smile.gif

Something I've wondered for a while: what's the difference between the Byron and the Fifth Avenue? They look identical to my untrained eye. Is it simply the same design made on a different last?

post #12258 of 51050
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjr4884 View Post

 

Do you like the rutledge in burnished walnut?  You arleady have a brogued wingtip, and merlot is by far the best color for that.  I have a similar line up, walnut strands, merlot mcallisters, and shell brown strands.  plain cap toe is next, and i think the rutledge will be the winner either in black or burnished calf.

 

Yeah, I could use a plain cap toe, but I guess if I were to get one it would be in a darker, more conservative color in dark brown or black. The thing with the Rutledge is that I'm still on the fence on the perforations. I prefer the typical broguing, but I'm waiting to see if they'll grow on me.

post #12259 of 51050
Quote:
Originally Posted by g.michael View Post

That's why I was paying close attention to it. Legal wording is funny these days (and I'm not a lawyer), so I wondered if you hand feed something through a sewing machine (as AE does), does that give you legal right to say "hand-stitched" vs. "hand-sewn". Alden can say "hand-sewn" because somebody is actually using two needles and and awl and actually manually sewing their LHS loafer. Shades of gray. Either way, the shoe looks extremely nice.

So would your recommendation be go TTS for the Patriot or 1/2 size down to account for stretch of a loafer?
post #12260 of 51050
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpent View Post

 

Do you have trouble with your pants not cooperating with your OTC socks?  I have just about given up on OTC's because of the static that builds up and makes my pant legs cling unnaturally.  It drives me nuts.  I don't have the problem with mid-calf socks.  I should mention that I predominantly wear slim-fit chinos due to my overly casual work environment.  It may just be the closer fitting heavier material, and I may not have the issue with suit/dress trousers. 

 

I do sometimes - some pants do better than others.  I find it varies with pant material and closeness (i.e. tapered leg vs. straight).  I tend to wear either suit pants or dress slacks, mostly in wool, and almost always cuffed.  I find that the cotton OTC socks (like the JAB ones) tend to be a little less binding.  

post #12261 of 51050

Berkshires today:

 

 

 

 

700700

post #12262 of 51050
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsylentStorm View Post

 

Yeah, I could use a plain cap toe, but I guess if I were to get one it would be in a darker, more conservative color in dark brown or black. The thing with the Rutledge is that I'm still on the fence on the perforations. I prefer the typical broguing, but I'm waiting to see if they'll grow on me.

 

I think the brogue pattern is great... yea its a little different/modern, but I think they look really sharp and sleek.  The toe and the cap location are perfect which mean the most to me...

post #12263 of 51050
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksfan View Post

 

I do sometimes - some pants do better than others.  I find it varies with pant material and closeness (i.e. tapered leg vs. straight).  I tend to wear either suit pants or dress slacks, mostly in wool, and almost always cuffed.  I find that the cotton OTC socks (like the JAB ones) tend to be a little less binding.  

 

Great to know.  Thanks!

post #12264 of 51050
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsylentStorm View Post

I'm looking for suggestions on my next AE purchase. I already have:

Black Flatirons
Brown Fifth Streets
Merlot McAllisters
Walnut Strands

While I plan on getting a brown shell Strand at some point, that may have to wait until next year as a birthday gift for myself. In the meantime, I'm debating between the Walnut burnished calf Jeffersons or the Bourbon Larchmonts. 

Any thoughts?

If it had to be either of those two, I would go with the Larchmonts. As much as I love my Walnut Jeffersons, I think it would be a little redundant in your case. I would have to agree with jjr4884 though, that another style of shoe like the Rutledge would compliment your shoe collection more nicely.
post #12265 of 51050
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksdb View Post

So would your recommendation be go TTS for the Patriot or 1/2 size down to account for stretch of a loafer?

I tried these on again today--personally i say size down 1/2 size. There is just too much room in these all over--from the heel to toe to side, and they will loosen up a little more as my foot settles into the cork footbed. Moving down, however, will bring in the issue of tightness across the strap, so I am not sure if I will actually do that. May just send them back and move on.

I've been comparing these to the Alden LHS, but just to clarify, I do not have the Alden LHS, just the unlined version of the LHS from Brooks Brothers, which is a great fit at 11B and very comfortable now that my foot has settled into it. I have heard different views on whether the Alden LHS and its Brooks Brothers counterpart result in the same fit. Incidentally, the AE person I spoke to said the new 6 last was very comparable to the 5 last--narrow but shorter. I will agree that it is shorter, but outside of that it is not comparable to the 5 last. My 11B 5 last shoes from AE fit way more snug than this last. She suggested TTS or going up a half size--no way for me.

I have some pics and will try to post tonight.
post #12266 of 51050

Side note: Their Thanksgiving sale is starting on Sunday.

post #12267 of 51050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigg View Post

Side note: Their Thanksgiving sale is starting on Sunday.

I haven't gotten that flier. What shoes are on sale?

post #12268 of 51050
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingus2112 View Post

Off topic, but those are some amazingly awesome pants!!
-J

Thanks! Snagged them from a Polo outlet last summer (they're actually Rugby) for about $30 IIRC and that was their first time out.
post #12269 of 51050
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpent View Post

 

Do you have trouble with your pants not cooperating with your OTC socks?  I have just about given up on OTC's because of the static that builds up and makes my pant legs cling unnaturally.  It drives me nuts.  I don't have the problem with mid-calf socks.  I should mention that I predominantly wear slim-fit chinos due to my overly casual work environment.  It may just be the closer fitting heavier material, and I may not have the issue with suit/dress trousers. 

Ladies and gentleman, this forum has officially gone TOO FAR!

post #12270 of 51050
Guys I have the bourbon stand would brown shell strand be too close to have both
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread