or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 781

post #11701 of 52371
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJTraveler View Post

Just got an email from AE that select shoes in grey are on sale for $199.  This includes the Long Branch, Pierpont, and Aberdeen.  Some really nice savings there!

I was surprised to see the McTavish also included.

Chris
post #11702 of 52371

I just spotted the Park Avenue in Bourbon today on the AE website!  They didn't mention in the catalog supplement that the PA would be part of the Bourbon line.  It looks excellent IMO, and a great alternative option for those looking for a PA in brown.  This makes me wonder what other shoes may end up being made in Bourbon that they haven't previously mentioned.  I think the McAllisters should be part of the line as well (the Amsterdam is beautiful and popular after all). 

 

700

post #11703 of 52371
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohneokc View Post

I was surprised to see the McTavish also included.
Chris

How come? Is there something special about it?
post #11704 of 52371
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpent View Post

I just spotted the Park Avenue in Bourbon today on the AE website!  They didn't mention in the catalog supplement that the PA would be part of the Bourbon line.  It looks excellent IMO, and a great alternative option for those looking for a PA in brown.  This makes me wonder what other shoes may end up being made in Bourbon that they haven't previously mentioned.  I think the McAllisters should be part of the line as well (the Amsterdam is beautiful and popular after all). 

 

700

 

I like the looks of that!  I notice the Parkways and Kenilworths are also available in bourbon.  I will withhold final judgement until I see them in person, but it seems as though AE has found and committed to a really good medium brown tone.  I can definitely see adding 2 or 3 of these to my collection.

post #11705 of 52371
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpent View Post

 

May I ask how old your Strands are?  I ask because they seem to be exibiting a similar amount of wear to the soles in the toe area as my AE's do.  Have you found that the wear in that area has reached a sort of "plateau" and not continued to progress?  I can't quite bring myself to get into the metal/plastic taps realm, and I am hoping that they will slow down as they adjust to my walking pattern. 

I've had the strands now for about half a year.  I would say that I really haven't even noticed the wear in the sole at all, but now that I look at it, it is pretty pronounced.  However, I know that my walking style does place a good amount of pressure on my smallest toe, so it isn't a surprise to me.  

 

Personally, I wouldn't get taps installed- I would much rather just recraft them when necessary.  I should also add that I've worn these shoes in some pretty bad conditions, and I haven't dressed the edges recently.  Doing that would most certainly make them at least appear to look nicer in photos. 

 

Regarding the Jeffersons, yes, they can look exceedingly dark at times, but in most lighting conditions, they come off as a dark brown.  

post #11706 of 52371
Quote:
Originally Posted by sygyzy View Post

How come? Is there something special about it?

I thought the McTavish was fairly popular and wouldn't warrant discounting.
post #11707 of 52371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrydog View Post

Any opinions on the Independence Line? I like a couple of the styles but was put off by the very soft toe cap. I prefer a very hard toe cap and the Independence were quite soft and "dentable" if that term makes sense. Left me worried as to whether they would maintian their shape.

 

I have the Williams and have enjoyed them.  They are definitely higher quality than the other lines.  Not sure what you are referring to with the soft toe cap, but I would not worry about losing shape.

post #11708 of 52371
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ShinAkuma0 View Post

700

 

Thanks. Rarely see pics of these.

post #11709 of 52371
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJTraveler View Post

Just got an email from AE that select shoes in grey are on sale for $199.  This includes the Long Branch, Pierpont, and Aberdeen.  Some really nice savings there!

I have no clue why but I like the Pierpont for some reason. I cannot for the life of me envision it working in real life and yet I still look at the site and think about it getting a pair. baldy[1].gif

 

Thankfully I have a decided a pair or two of their boots is the direction for now.

post #11710 of 52371
How do folks feel about the Combination sole available on some models? Brooks Bros has thair preferred customer sale on now and I'm debating pickup up a pair from them. Unfortunately, the Brown Fifth Ave and Black Strands are my only option... decisions, decisions.
post #11711 of 52371

Anybody have any feedback on the Long Branch?  With the grey ones on sale, I'm wondering if these can stand up to a Chicago winter.  Anybody worn these in the winter?  I wouldn't be wearing them out to shovel snow or anything, but would be stepping in snow/salt while walking around the city.  

post #11712 of 52371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd V View Post

How do folks feel about the Combination sole available on some models? Brooks Bros has thair preferred customer sale on now and I'm debating pickup up a pair from them. Unfortunately, the Brown Fifth Ave and Black Strands are my only option... decisions, decisions.

How much is the discount at the Brooks Brothers sale going on and when does it end?
post #11713 of 52371
25% with the BB credit card and 15% without. I believe it ends Nov. 4th. Even at BB's high prices, with 25% off, it is hard to find Allen Edmonds first quality shoes at that price.
post #11714 of 52371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pink View Post

Anybody have any feedback on the Long Branch?  With the grey ones on sale, I'm wondering if these can stand up to a Chicago winter.  Anybody worn these in the winter?  I wouldn't be wearing them out to shovel snow or anything, but would be stepping in snow/salt while walking around the city.  

 

I have the brown "waxy" LB's but I've only had them for about three weeks.  They seem quite sturdy with thick leather that I think would be quite durable in inclement weather.  The Vibram sole and heel provide good grip and should work in rain/snow (like you said, as long as you're not planning on shovelling snow or going for walks in the snow!).  I'd think they'd work in midwest winters.

post #11715 of 52371

 

 

"Offer is valid 10/26/12 - 11/4/12 until 11:59 pm Eastern Standard Time'

 

-Chad

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread