or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 779

post #11671 of 46922
Quote:
Originally Posted by envgeo View Post

First post, so go easy. Bought a pair of walnut strands with the v tread Sunday. Should be delivered in a few weeks and I got a 20% discount using the partners card in Dallas (charity function that gives you 20% off at over 500 retailers after you donate/buy a card). Was looking for a black shoe, but just fell in love with the walnut strands and couldn't turn my back on them.

The same thing actually happened to me as well. Went into BB for a more formal pair of shoes, left with the walnut strand along with a black captoe oxford. They really are great shoes.

post #11672 of 46922
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsey shoes View Post

I believe they still make the Jefferson in walnut as well... possible that you can get the broken-in leather feel of the Independence collection and your walnut wing at the same time.

 

How exactly does the leather differ? The burnishing almost makes it look like a cross between Walnut and Bourbon.

post #11673 of 46922
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentyman View Post

 

How exactly does the leather differ? The burnishing almost makes it look like a cross between Walnut and Bourbon.

Not sure of the entire process, but the description on the AE site says "premium double-aged" calfskin... I can tell you the end result is a much softer feeling upper than the traditional calf models in my opinion.

If you have not tried one yet, go down to a brick and mortar store and check out the difference in feel for yourself... but be careful, because you may walk out with them!

post #11674 of 46922
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsey shoes View Post

Not sure of the entire process, but the description on the AE site says "premium double-aged" calfskin... I can tell you the end result is a much softer feeling upper than the traditional calf models in my opinion.
If you have not tried one yet, go down to a brick and mortar store and check out the difference in feel for yourself... but be careful, because you may walk out with them!

Agreed, the softness of the leather compared to my other AEs was what really stood out to me when I first got them.
post #11675 of 46922

ugh.....looking over the tan Cronmoks I picked up from the South Coast Plaza store last week and noticed the toe medallion is way off on the right boot. Going to the store tomorrow for exchange, good thing I have not used them.

post #11676 of 46922
Quote:
Originally Posted by facet View Post

Agreed, the softness of the leather compared to my other AEs was what really stood out to me when I first got them.

 

Do you think there's any effect on the durability? How does it affect creasing?

post #11677 of 46922
Any pictures in the wild of the Jefferson (preferably in brown)? Please post someone!
post #11678 of 46922
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksdb View Post

Any pictures in the wild of the Jefferson (preferably in brown)? Please post someone!

Best I have is this one.

 

 

 

The dark brown actualy looks black.

 

1000

 

 

 

 


Edited by dddrees - 10/30/12 at 2:48am
post #11679 of 46922
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmaurer View Post

I'm traveling right now so don't have photos, but I just received a pair of the burgundy shell Park Avenues that I ordered during the sale. I specifically waited until they were out of stock in my size (10.5C) so that I would get the new shell darker finish. Indeed, they are much darker than the old finish that I felt was too pink-hued. These are closer to Alden's #8, although more red/black than eggplant. Very, very, nice, rich finish.
If you're going to get a pair of the burgundy shells I would highly suggest calling ahead to make sure you get the new finish.

Agreed. For burgundy or black shell, you should place the order by phone with specific instructions that they have the new finish. A CS rep. from AE told me this is the best way to guarantee getting the new finish.
post #11680 of 46922
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksdb View Post

Any pictures in the wild of the Jefferson (preferably in brown)? Please post someone!

I have this shoe. The leather is buttery soft. nod[1].gif
post #11681 of 46922
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpent View Post

I'm looking for any experience or advice on the Burgundy Shell Cordovan Park Avenues.  The local AE outlet near me has a pair of seconds in my size.  Looking at them in person, they don't have any obvious defects.  I'm just not sure about the color.  They aren't a very deep burgundy IMO, and almost have a very slight dark pinkish twinge to their color.  Has anyone else had this type of experience?  I guess it is possible that the white bloom that was on them was making them look lighter/pinker than they otherwise would after brushing, etc.  The blooming was very apparent around the stitching which almost looked like white toothpaste residue.  If the color will not become richer/darker than what I saw, then it is safe to say that I don't care for their color.  I would also hesitate to buy such expensive shoes under the assumption that polish may help correct the color.  I am afraid that I don't have any pictures.  Thoughts? 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmaurer View Post

I'm traveling right now so don't have photos, but I just received a pair of the burgundy shell Park Avenues that I ordered during the sale. I specifically waited until they were out of stock in my size (10.5C) so that I would get the new shell darker finish. Indeed, they are much darker than the old finish that I felt was too pink-hued. These are closer to Alden's #8, although more red/black than eggplant. Very, very, nice, rich finish.
If you're going to get a pair of the burgundy shells I would highly suggest calling ahead to make sure you get the new finish.

 

It sounds like this might be the issue I had with the shoes I mentioned above.  I like the looks of the new finish as well, but I haven't ever seen it in person so that I can compare it to the old burgundy finish.  The pair of Park Avenues that I was talking about above seemed to be slightly "pinker" than the other burgundy models on the shelf that I saw that day.  Again, it may have been due to the "blooming."  Maybe I will hold off since the new finish sounds more like my idea of what a burgundy shoe should look like.  Please post photos when you have time, because I am seriously considering a pair of these!   

post #11682 of 46922
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksdb View Post

Any pictures in the wild of the Jefferson (preferably in brown)? Please post someone!


Here are my Walnuts:

700

post #11683 of 46922
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksdb View Post

Any pictures in the wild of the Jefferson (preferably in brown)? Please post someone!

I'll try my best to remember to post some pics when I get home tonight.  PM me if I don't.

post #11684 of 46922
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post

Best I have is this one.



The dark brown actualy looks black.






Nice, would you say it only looks black in the picture or in real life too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigg View Post


Here are my Walnuts:

Wow they look great!!!!!!!!!! That walnut looks a lot darker than I would have thought, which to me is a good thing. Is that just the patina the shoe took over time?
post #11685 of 46922

Yeah, that walnut jefferson is stunning.
 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread