or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 742

post #11116 of 48539
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc1234 View Post

I ordered a pair of Dalton's during the recent AE sale and I love them, but last night when I took the laces out to polish them up a bit, I noticed some leather cutting that seemed sloppy. I'm wondering if the cutting in the photo below on the left boot (outlined in red) would be considered a defect, or just variations from a handmade item? Seeing as they cut these from patterns, I would not expect such a messy cut to be used in a shoe, but maybe my expectations are to high? Thoughts before I email this photo to AE customer service?
Thanks!

Larger image here: AE_Dalton_Boot_Stitching.jpg 1111k .jpg file

 

It appears from the photo that the same crescent shaped cut-out is visible on both boots, or am I mistaken?  I feel like that may be a deliberate notch that is there to indicate the "center" of the tongue base. When the closing department that stitches all of the leather pieces together is working on closing the upper, they have marks to guide them (which are mostly silver leather marker lines that come off with buffing).  I have a pair of Finches, and the center pinking point on the saddle is slightly longer than all of the others, which I believe is for the same purpose.  In the end it is personal preference, but if it is not visible when the boots are laced up, I would just keep them.


Edited by MoneyWellSpent - 10/15/12 at 12:28pm
post #11117 of 48539
Quote:
Originally Posted by violethour1951 View Post

Does anyone know if there's a walnut shell offering from AE recently?

No, but I did just get a pair of walnut shell dalton seconds that were part of the run last year.

post #11118 of 48539
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpent View Post

It appears from the photo that the same crescent shaped cut-out is visible both boots, or am I mistaken?  I feel like that may be a deliberate notch that is there to indicate the "center" of the tongue base. When the closing department that stitches all of the leather pieces together is working on closing the upper, they have marks to guide them (which are mostly silver leather marker lines that come off with buffing).  I have a pair of Finches, and the center pinking point on the saddle is slightly longer than all of the others, which I believe is for the same purpose.  In then end it is personal preference, but if it is not visible when the boots are laced up, I would just keep them.

Looks perfectly fine to me too--I would keep them and enjoy.
post #11119 of 48539
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksdb View Post

Thanks I will certainly wait for you to post your experience so please do. My gut feeling though is I should go a half size down.

50/50 has been my success rate on loafers in going TTS or sizing down a half so I am more than happy to report my experience if it helps someone else.
post #11120 of 48539
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooter View Post

That's what I am leaning toward, but the grey is pretty nice in person. Maybe I'll wait till the Bayfields show up and see how much I like them. 


Are the Bayfields going to be made again? Same choices?

post #11121 of 48539
Quote:
Originally Posted by seer View Post


Are the Bayfields going to be made again? Same choices?

No idea, I bought mine from Lands End. 

post #11122 of 48539
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpent View Post

It appears from the photo that the same crescent shaped cut-out is visible on both boots, or am I mistaken?  I feel like that may be a deliberate notch that is there to indicate the "center" of the tongue base. When the closing department that stitches all of the leather pieces together is working on closing the upper, they have marks to guide them (which are mostly silver leather marker lines that come off with buffing).  I have a pair of Finches, and the center pinking point on the saddle is slightly longer than all of the others, which I believe is for the same purpose.  In the end it is personal preference, but if it is not visible when the boots are laced up, I would just keep them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.michael View Post

Looks perfectly fine to me too--I would keep them and enjoy.

Thanks guys. Makes sense on the notch for centering. The boot on the left is a much bigger notch and looks uneven close up, which is what was annoying me. I didnt notice this with the laces on, so most likely its very difficult to see when worn. I'll take a closer look with them laced up on my foot. They are super comfortable and the coloring is perfect, so I'd definitely hate to exchange them out.
post #11123 of 48539
I own 7 different pairs of Edmonds and take ridiculously good care of them all and I have to say:

Some of you are absolute lunatics when it comes to what you perceive as an unacceptable in your shoes. And don't try to take that as a compliment. I mean that some of you are just completely insane. These are dead animal skins that you wear on your feet and beat them into the pavement with each step you take. Calm down, wear your shoes and shut the fuck up.
post #11124 of 48539
Quote:
Originally Posted by NefariousSabatour View Post

I own 7 different pairs of Edmonds and take ridiculously good care of them all and I have to say:
Some of you are absolute lunatics when it comes to what you perceive as an unacceptable in your shoes. And don't try to take that as a compliment. I mean that some of you are just completely insane. These are dead animal skins that you wear on your feet and beat them into the pavement with each step you take. Calm down, wear your shoes and shut the fuck up.

I love you

post #11125 of 48539
Quote:
Originally Posted by NefariousSabatour View Post

I own 7 different pairs of Edmonds and take ridiculously good care of them all and I have to say:
Some of you are absolute lunatics when it comes to what you perceive as an unacceptable in your shoes. And don't try to take that as a compliment. I mean that some of you are just completely insane. These are dead animal skins that you wear on your feet and beat them into the pavement with each step you take. Calm down, wear your shoes and shut the fuck up.

This is bad ass shoe talk! 

post #11126 of 48539
Quote:
Originally Posted by NefariousSabatour View Post

I own 7 different pairs of Edmonds and take ridiculously good care of them all and I have to say:
Some of you are absolute lunatics when it comes to what you perceive as an unacceptable in your shoes. And don't try to take that as a compliment. I mean that some of you are just completely insane. These are dead animal skins that you wear on your feet and beat them into the pavement with each step you take. Calm down, wear your shoes and shut the fuck up.

The SF equivalent of HTFU. icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #11127 of 48539
Quote:
Originally Posted by NefariousSabatour View Post

Calm down, wear your shoes and shut the fuck up.

The fact that this makes so much sense means it's inherently anti-SF.
post #11128 of 48539
So, after all of my bitching about the Lubbock about their finishing and quality, I tried them on again over the weekend at home while wearing jeans and I changed my mind about my first opinion. Overall, they are a sturdy shoe with the double sole. They are not perfect, but they are intended to be a casual shoe and are interesting--after all, that is what I want in a casual shoe.

I was wearing them around the house thinking about life and getting a better feel for their fit when my girlfriend came home and said that she loved them (she knows about shoes and my extensive collections of EG and C&J etc). I was a little unsure of fit as there is some movement. However, when I first bought my RL cordovan penny loafers, they also moved around a lot on my feet till I broke them in. These actually move less than those but I guess I was more forgiving of RL due to my bias towards C&J cordovan.

I then wore them out to brunch and to the dog park. I ran into a buddy (who is a professed Alden/AE hater) and he complemented me on them. Overall, I am happy with them and they serve their purpose. I have now officially joined the AE club. Now to break them in.

shog[1].gif
post #11129 of 48539
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bpc View Post

Soliciting feedback from any Neumok owners - how does the Neumok fit compared with the Park Ave (PA)?

In trying to determine my size for the Cronmok's I was ordering the AE store gave me Neumoks to try on. I tried the same size as my PA's and they felt fine. They were a tad roomy but so are my PA's in 8EEE to accommodate my one wider foot. They were the suede model and felt like I was wearing slippers. Outstanding, I think I will pick them up at a later sale. My Cronmoks have not arrived yet to comment on.
post #11130 of 48539
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc1234 View Post

I ordered a pair of Dalton's during the recent AE sale and I love them, but last night when I took the laces out to polish them up a bit, I noticed some leather cutting that seemed sloppy. I'm wondering if the cutting in the photo below on the left boot (outlined in red) would be considered a defect, or just variations from a handmade item? Seeing as they cut these from patterns, I would not expect such a messy cut to be used in a shoe, but maybe my expectations are to high? Thoughts before I email this photo to AE customer service?
Thanks!
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 


Larger image here: AE_Dalton_Boot_Stitching.jpg 1111k .jpg file

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpent View Post

 

It appears from the photo that the same crescent shaped cut-out is visible on both boots, or am I mistaken?  I feel like that may be a deliberate notch that is there to indicate the "center" of the tongue base. When the closing department that stitches all of the leather pieces together is working on closing the upper, they have marks to guide them (which are mostly silver leather marker lines that come off with buffing).  I have a pair of Finches, and the center pinking point on the saddle is slightly longer than all of the others, which I believe is for the same purpose.  In the end it is personal preference, but if it is not visible when the boots are laced up, I would just keep them.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.michael View Post


Looks perfectly fine to me too--I would keep them and enjoy.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc1234 View Post


Thanks guys. Makes sense on the notch for centering. The boot on the left is a much bigger notch and looks uneven close up, which is what was annoying me. I didnt notice this with the laces on, so most likely its very difficult to see when worn. I'll take a closer look with them laced up on my foot. They are super comfortable and the coloring is perfect, so I'd definitely hate to exchange them out.

 

I have the walnut shell Daltons and they have the exact notch in both boots.  So they must be part of the pattern.  They're not visible on mine and cause no harm.  I would keep and enjoy them.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread