Those look great. Nice winter weather boot!
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAllen Edmondstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Malvern Boottagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Wilbert Lace-Uptagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryBootstagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShell Cordovantagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Murlsquirl, 4/3/15
Related Forum Threads
- The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread Last post on 8/29/15 at 5:14pm in Classic Menswear
- Size 9 Shoes: Grenson Tassel Loafers and Tommy Hilfiger Oxford Boots Last post on 11/27/11 at 5:58pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on 8/29/15 at 12:44pm in Classic Menswear
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E $2,200 Last post on 8/4/15 at 11:58pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
Last edited: 8/10/15
- What is Styleforum Wearing: 9.18.12Last edited: 1/4/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
- What is Styleforum Wearing: 9.18.12
Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 738
Styleforum Top Picks
Further, will the difference between full and split toes really have a substantial effect on the shoes? There's nothing wrong with this, but I've noticed people appear to be becoming more and more concerned with things that aren't really all that important. Just wear, take care, and be happy!
I have had experience with both as well. I have to say that I prefer the full toe trees on my AE models. I think that there is a misconception that the tree has to fill up every last bit of the shoe. It doesn't. It just needs to take up the majority of the space, be large enough to straighten out the shoe and keep it from bowing up, and smooth out the creases on the toe. My experience with the combination trees is that they are a bit more finnicky and sometimes don't fully expand within the shoe, which isn't a problem with the full toe trees. I remember someone saying that they didn't think the full toe trees are not as good with 7 lasted shoes as well, but they seem great on my Sanfords.
I find it just be very shoe-specific as to which trees fit best, assuming you're not getting lasted trees designed for that exact shoe. I like the full toe trees, but sometimes they won't fit. And the split-toes are finicky, as well. So I've ended up with an assortment.
My experience has been that split-toes are good for loafers, as they are usually narrower, and boots, as I often can't get the full toe trees to fit. But I like to use the full toe trees when I can.
Better to have trees than no trees. And I think don't sweat exact fit too much, as long as you aren't damaging the shoes with them.
The Strand, Kenilworth, Larchmont, Flatiron, and Neumora in bourbon calf become available starting tomorrow according to the AE Fall supplement catalog. Not sure if that date will still hold, but I'm really looking forward to seeing how the new bourbon color looks in the wild! Might just have to get a new pair of Strand's or Larchmont's.
Mario, I'm glad you threw this out there. I think all this talk and asking for advice about sizing and stretching in general is mostly nonsense and probably leading people in a bad direction.
People should get their feet properly measured and default to that shoe size, unless recommended specifically by the manufacturer (e.g..: this last always runs 1/2 small). If you have to mess around with the sizing, then the shoe is just not right for your foot. Sizing up or down in length or width just creates other problems. This is one of the reasons AE makes different lasts - to accommodate different foot types.
And if CXL stretched so much as to change the sizing, do you think reputable manufactures like AE would be using it, or at least not giving out advice?
Seriously, all these gyrations are way out of hand. They will only lead people to trouble.
the sizing advice given by SF Affiliate Oak Street Bootmakers for their CXL shoes says to account for a fair bit of stretching due to the leather.
Today is your lucky day!
Wow, should have been careful what I wished for. There goes my money in the next sale.
How are the combination soles?
I've only worn the LB's once but I can tell you that they are extremely comfortable (expectedly more than the leather-soled Daltons) and I know that I will get great use out of them. Keep them!
I have the combination sole on my Cronmoks and I prefer it over the leather sole because they are much more durable in wet weather. If I'm ever caught in the rain in my leather soled AEs without my Swims, I can always count on the water seeping through the leather outsole and into the insole. I at least feel a bit more protected with the combination tap sole.
- Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
- › Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread 1 minute ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, EG, GG, Bonafe, Saint Crispin's -... 1 minute ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 2 minutes ago
- › Ongoing Bespoke Projects 2 minutes ago
- › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here... 7 minutes ago
- › Vanson/Styleforum/Thurston Bros slim fit Japanese double rider MTO 10 minutes ago
- › Stephan Schneider. You'll Always Find Me In The Kitchen At Parties. 11 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 12 minutes ago
- › THE OFFICIAL "streetwear" BALLER BOOT/SHOE THREAD (Guidi, CCP,... 14 minutes ago
- › The Architecture Thread 14 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Announcing the winner of the Kent Wang...
- › Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
- › Mohair: A Little-Known Hot-Weather Cloth
- › The Myth of the Nice Guy: Baseball’s...
- › Three Gin Cocktails for Summertime
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015