Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAllen Edmondstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Malvern Boottagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's San Marco Oxfordtagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's The Links Oxfordtagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Wilbert Lace-Uptagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
Related Forum Threads
- IC: Allen Edmonds Shoes and BELTS MEGA THREAD Sale!!! Mora 2.0, McTavish, Neumok, Park Ave, Fifth... Last post on Yesterday at 5:50 am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Battle of the Longwings: Alden vs. Florsheim Limited vs. Allen Edmonds Last post on 6/20/13 at 4:36pm in Classic Menswear
- 4 PAIRS OF EXOTIC SKIN SHOES - ALLEN EDMONDS & MEZLAN Last post on 1/29/14 at 1:13pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Allen Edmonds Berkley 9D PTB (Sleeker than Leeds) Last post on 7/1/13 at 1:49pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Barely worn AE Sanfords Rare color, small size! 7D Last post on 6/28/13 at 2:58pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Andrew Lock
- ASPECD Apparel
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gentry NYC
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Andrews Sartorial Luxury Collection
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- Nice Laundry
- No Man Walks Alone
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 732
Styles mentioned in this thread:
I've had this happen. Shoes were fine. Put trees in them when they dry and let them rest for another day.
The Byron is a classic captoe bal and the weybridge is a medallion toe bal. Can't go wrong with either one, but the weybridge is definitely more unique and more versatile, IMO. I used to own them both, but now I just own the weybridge. Also the weybridge is on the 8 last, one of AE's best.
Nice shoes! Are the Clifton's still in production? I can't seem to find them on AE's website, but they are shown on Nordstrom's website.
My SA is always good to me, so I asked him since they make all shell MTO now if they can simply put the poron instead of the hard insole, and a natural colored outsole. He was glad to take down those details at no charge. Heck, I got the Rediscover sales price on it. I have always been an advocate of shopping at the AE brick & mortars for reasons like this.
Nice! I'm enjoying mine as well. Maiden voyage is today.
I have come to believe that this is one of the issues that is blown out of proportion on this forum. I don't mean anything offensive by it at all , because believe me, I took a very deep breath before walking out in the rain for the first time in a pair of my nice shoes. I also had heart palpitations while feverishly searching the internet for what to do after I had a shoe soaking a while back on my way home during a heavy thunderstorm. I think the simple issue is that we cringe at the thought of paying hundreds of dollars on something, only to go out and scrape it up, get it dirty and wet. We lose touch with the fact that shoes have been fulfilling this purpose since the beginning of time, and they are made to hold up in adverse conditions. I posted a few days ago about a pair of Bostonians that I have relegated to beater rainy weather shoes. I am eager for them to "die" so that I can justify replacing them with another pair of AE's, and yet they keep holding on. I think this is a decent laboratory experiment showing that if cheap shoes do this well when they are being put in the worst conditions, how much better should a nice pair hold up? I think that the realistic approach to caring for your shoes after they get wet (like the one outlined by AE in their video library) or one of the many others available online, is perfectly adequate. Let them dry with some newspaper inside them, lay them on their sides to allow air to circulate around the soles, put your trees in them after they are mostly dry, and condition/polish them afterwords. I know that there is a difference in durability between heavy cowhide leather that is used for boots and saddles, etc, and the more delicate calf skin used for nicer dress shoes.... However, the difference lies more in the ability to take a beating from heavy use as opposed to being splashed with some rain water. I know people have had other experiences and may have some stains or welts show up on their shell, etc., but I think these are the exceptions to the rule. Millions of men wear dress shoes every day, and I don't see people running around with horrible stains and such all over them.
Patriots to work yesterday. After wearing for a day, I really enjoyed them. They were very comfortable and seemed to fit better as the day went along. I would say they fit pretty true to size, compared to Park Ave and the like. at least for me.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Reminds me of the Alden leisure hand-sewn loafer, but with a more pointed toebox. Looks like a great fit on you.
One of my first AE experiences was wearing my walnut Strands, when my car broke down. I walked home 5 miles through shrubbery and tarmac, 2 of those miles were in the pouring rain.
I dried them out for a couple of days, like others on this thread have pointer out. Then gave them some conditioner and polish, they were good as new.
I don't baby my shoes anymore, as they have proven resilient.
- Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Theard 35 seconds ago
- › The Great Cascadia Boot Thread 35 seconds ago
- › Engineered Garments FW 14 59 seconds ago
- › Meermin Mallorca Shoes 1 minute ago
- › Things you just don't get 2 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 4 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 4 minutes ago
- › LuxeSwap - Official Affiliate Thread 5 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 8 minutes ago
- › JACKET IDENTIFICATION 9 minutes ago
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Loake Strand by wurger
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Pullovers)