or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 725

post #10861 of 46881
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitshine123 View Post

I ordered the Patriot, but I'm a little worried about the fit. In my experience, the fit initially should be tight, and it loosens up quite a bit after a few months. The patriot fits me just right out of the box, and I'm scared that it will be too big in the future. Any opinions?

 

I have had real problems with this in the past, to the point that I am a bit hesitant to buy loafers.  I really like them, but I have had two experiences with loafers fitting well in the store and then loosening up over a couple of months worth of wear to the point that they began to slip on my heels.  I started to develop a bad habit of curling my toes like I was subconsciously trying to "grip" the bottom of the shoe while I was walking.  By the end of the work day my feet would ache because of it, and I learned later that it is not healthy for the feet to do this.  I don't think that there is a universal rule, but the SA told me last time that I should make sure the shoes are on the border of being uncomfortably snug/tight when trying them on in the store.  This may mean a half size down or more, depending on how they feel and the last type.   

post #10862 of 46881
Quote:
Originally Posted by atoms View Post

That's fine. I generally wear a 9D and use Medium trees as well. The toe end isn't meant to fit all the way down. The metal should compress in and exert force once released.

+1. I also use Woodlore medium shoe trees in all of my 9D shoes including the Fifth Streets.
post #10863 of 46881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigg View Post


The Patriot is way too loose for me. I got the same size that I usually wear in the 5 last.

Thanks--that's what I'm worried about but I already ordered the same size. Will probably end up trading for a half size down.
post #10864 of 46881
So is the Patriot the best loafer from AE? How is it better than the Kenwood? Also, would loafers be better suited for the spring/summer for a place like Toronto?
post #10865 of 46881
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellsbebc View Post

I have two pairs of shoes I picked up in a recent AE seconds sale.  Walnut Player's and walnut Rush (Independence collection), both 10D.  Never worn because they did not fit properly. 

 

Only looking to recoup my spendings ($150 each).  Thought I would give you guys the first opportunity.  Will grab pictures tomorrow.  Any interest?
 

I'd definitely love to see the Walnut Players. Interested in them myself.

post #10866 of 46881
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksdb View Post

So is the Patriot the best loafer from AE? How is it better than the Kenwood? Also, would loafers be better suited for the spring/summer for a place like Toronto?

You can wear them during the fall and winter too IMO. I think you just need to stick to darker colors.

Some other observations. I think the Kenwood is a beefroll penny and it is a handsewn shoe compared to the Patriot which is a Goodyear welted shoe.
post #10867 of 46881
Quote:
Originally Posted by g.michael View Post


Thanks--that's what I'm worried about but I already ordered the same size. Will probably end up trading for a half size down.


Do you think that'll fix it?

They don't make any narrow sizes.

post #10868 of 46881
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksdb View Post

So is the Patriot the best loafer from AE? How is it better than the Kenwood?

It is in my opinion because I prefer penny loafers to tassel loafers, and among penny loafers, I prefer non-full strap and non-beef roll. The Alden LHS is my personal favorite, and the Patriot is the closest AE has come to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksdb View Post

Also, would loafers be better suited for the spring/summer for a place like Toronto?

Better suited than lace ups, or better suited for spring/summer than year round?
post #10869 of 46881

Any thoughts about the Patriot with jeans?

post #10870 of 46881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigg View Post


Do you think that'll fix it?
They don't make any narrow sizes.

The Patriot is available in B (narrow) width. I ordered 11B (my normal size in 5 and 8 last). If it's too floppy I'll try 10.5B.
post #10871 of 46881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigg View Post

Any thoughts about the Patriot with jeans?

It would look awesome--it's how I plan to wear mine half the time.
post #10872 of 46881
Quote:
Originally Posted by g.michael View Post


The Patriot is available in B (narrow) width. I ordered 11B (my normal size in 5 and 8 last). If it's too floppy I'll try 10.5B.


Interesting, narrow widths are not available in smaller sizes (I'm an 8)

post #10873 of 46881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston S. View Post


You can wear them during the fall and winter too IMO. I think you just need to stick to darker colors.
Some other observations. I think the Kenwood is a beefroll penny and it is a handsewn shoe compared to the Patriot which is a Goodyear welted shoe.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Doble View Post


It is in my opinion because I prefer penny loafers to tassel loafers, and among penny loafers, I prefer non-full strap and non-beef roll. The Alden LHS is my personal favorite, and the Patriot is the closest AE has come to it.
Better suited than lace ups, or better suited for spring/summer than year round?

 

I would add for a different perspective that many people feel that the hand-sewn moccasin constructed loafers like the Kenwood are more comfortable though.  That is why alot of the companies out of Maine, like Quoddy, have such a cult following.  Many say to go after the goodyear welted options due to their durability/recraftability.  However, the Kenwood is recraftable, so that arguement breaks down a bit.  I think it is a case of subjectivity and to each their own. 

post #10874 of 46881
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpent View Post

I would add for a different perspective that many people feel that the hand-sewn moccasin constructed loafers like the Kenwood are more comfortable though.  That is why alot of the companies out of Maine, like Quoddy, have such a cult following.  Many say to go after the goodyear welted options due to their durability/recraftability.  However, the Kenwood is recraftable, so that arguement breaks down a bit.  I think it is a case of subjectivity and to each their own. 

This is a fair point, and one that I did not consider.
post #10875 of 46881
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpent View Post

I have had real problems with this in the past, to the point that I am a bit hesitant to buy loafers.  I really like them, but I have had two experiences with loafers fitting well in the store and then loosening up over a couple of months worth of wear to the point that they began to slip on my heels.  I started to develop a bad habit of curling my toes like I was subconsciously trying to "grip" the bottom of the shoe while I was walking.  By the end of the work day my feet would ache because of it, and I learned later that it is not healthy for the feet to do this.  I don't think that there is a universal rule, but the SA told me last time that I should make sure the shoes are on the border of being uncomfortably snug/tight when trying them on in the store.  This may mean a half size down or more, depending on how they feel and the last type.   

+1 to the "on the border of being uncomfortably snug/tight" initial sizing. They become comfortablly snug after you break them in.

 

Heel slippage is the last thing you'd want when wearing loafers

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread