or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - Page 706

post #10576 of 52260
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulinski View Post

These look really nice. They actually look completely different than the picture from hohneokc. From the photo, it looks like there is no red/orange at all. Is this true IRL also?

 

Yes, they do  look different.  And yes, they are true to color on here.  Very dark almost wine.  

post #10577 of 52260

What is the general consensus in this thread on the Walton?  The great reviews on AE's website, and the fact that they obviously brought it back and added it to their "Timeless Classics" collection because of popular demand makes it seem like more people would have them and comment on them.  Just curious. 

post #10578 of 52260
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptoDoc View Post

I really want a pair of these. Do you think there would be any hiding somewhere in tone of the Shoe Banks in an 8.5E? I can't seem to find a black shoe I like (other than the Fifth Street boot), but would definately love these black Hales.

My experience is that they have a computerized inventory, so if you call one shoebank they should be able to tell you if there's one somewhere else. I have an advantage living in Milwaukee, there are several in the area, and they will even move pairs around from one store in the area to the one closer to me. And that was actually just to try on a shoe in the right size and last so that I could get on the wait list for the shoe I actually wanted, not even for an immediate sale. They certainly scored customer service points that day.
post #10579 of 52260

what.. I thought shoes sold directly by Amazon are brand new..

post #10580 of 52260
Quote:
Originally Posted by etran27 View Post

what.. I thought shoes sold directly by Amazon are brand new..

They are as new as the shoes sold at any other shoe store.  At any store, your shoe may have been sitting for months, tried on a few times, returned after wearing it on carpet or fresh from the factory.  Jokerman is saying he prefers to buy at AE so he can insist on getting a shoe shipped directly from the factory.

post #10581 of 52260
Quote:
Originally Posted by wigglr View Post

 

Where is the ball of your foot? The toes shoudn't go all the way to end

lol.. hard to tell. I think the ball of my foot is just above the flaps for the laces? but where i have my finger in the picture is just above my toe

post #10582 of 52260
Quote:
Originally Posted by etran27 View Post

lol.. hard to tell. I think the ball of my foot is just above the flaps for the laces? but where i have my finger in the picture is just above my toe

 

That seems fine to me. WHat is more important is the ball not where your toes are! My toes don't go to the end

post #10583 of 52260

just ordered a pair of burgundy shell MacNeils from the shoebank. Fingers crossed the "defects" are only minor. 

 

edit: almost bought a pair of chocolate Daltons too!

post #10584 of 52260
Quote:
Originally Posted by etran27 View Post

lol.. hard to tell. I think the ball of my foot is just above the flaps for the laces? but where i have my finger in the picture is just above my toe

While you are wearing the shoe, if you squeeze the shoe with your hand right over the widest part of your foot where your joints of your big toe and pinky toe are, then you are feeling the ball of your foot.  The widest part of your foot (ball) should roughly fit into the widest part of the shoe.

post #10585 of 52260
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpent View Post

While you are wearing the shoe, if you squeeze the shoe with your hand right over the widest part of your foot where your joints of your big toe and pinky toe are, then you are feeling the ball of your foot.  The widest part of your foot (ball) should roughly fit into the widest part of the shoe.

 

The highlighted red area, in other words...

post #10586 of 52260

thanks for the input guys. if you get like a size c or n is that supposed to affect the widest part of the shoe or the area below it?

post #10587 of 52260
Quote:
Originally Posted by etran27 View Post

thanks for the input guys. if you get like a size c or n is that supposed to affect the widest part of the shoe or the area below it?

I am not totally positive, but I would think it would effect all of the width slightly... not necessarily just one part of the shoe.  In other words, the whole shoe will be proportionally one size different in width.

post #10588 of 52260
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpent View Post

I am not totally positive, but I would think it would effect all of the width slightly... not necessarily just one part of the shoe.  In other words, the whole shoe will be proportionally one size different in width.

i see.

 

since, the fifth avenue is a long and narrow shoe, would a 7.5 d be a better pick over a 8 n? i'd get 8 d again, but amazon doesn't have the size. i want a pair of black shoes for interviews

post #10589 of 52260
Quote:
Originally Posted by etran27 View Post

thanks for the input guys. if you get like a size c or n is that supposed to affect the widest part of the shoe or the area below it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpent View Post

I am not totally positive, but I would think it would effect all of the width slightly... not necessarily just one part of the shoe.  In other words, the whole shoe will be proportionally one size different in width.

Yes, the whole shoe will (normally) be more narrow. Most US shoemakers make the heel two letters more narrow than the ball, but do not specify this. Old AE will say COMB indicating this combination last, but they've stopped printing it I believe because it is just standard. Some, like Alden, still print both the ball and heel width in the shoe. A slightly wide shoe would be C/E or E/C depending on how the company arranges it. Standard is B/D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by etran27 View Post

i see.

since, the fifth avenue is a long and narrow shoe, would a 7.5 d be a better pick over a 8 n? i'd get 8 d again, but amazon doesn't have the size. i want a pair of black shoes for interviews
Standard advice with the 5 last (and it is what I do) is to go a half size shorter and one width wider. My "normal" AE size is 10.5E, so in the 5 last (Park Ave) I take a 10 EE. (Unfortunately that size is not terribly common, so I currently only have one pair of shoes on that last. frown.gif

EDIT: etran27, I just looked back at your Delray post. before you order ANYTHING else, make sure you know how the shoe ought to fit. As someone has already pretty much said, if you have the shoes on and press your thumb against the widest part on the inside of the shoe you should feel that joint at the base of your big toe - where the elderly among us have bunions cloud.gif This point on your foot is the ball. The part of the shoe you should press on should be very obvious visually. The part of the foot your thumb is pressing on will also be obvious to you. If you are pressing behind that joint, your shoe is too short. If you are pressing in front of it (basically on the toe) your shoe is too long.
Edited by Patrologia - 10/4/12 at 11:18am
post #10590 of 52260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrologia View Post


Yes, the whole shoe will (normally) be more narrow. Most US shoemakers make the heel two letters more narrow than the ball, but do not specify this. Old AE will say COMB indicating this combination last, but they've stopped printing it I believe because it is just standard. Some, like Alden, still print both the ball and heel width in the shoe. A slightly wide shoe would be C/E or E/C depending on how the company arranges it. Standard is B/D.
Standard advice with the 5 last (and it is what I do) is to go a half size shorter and one width wider. My "normal" AE size is 10.5E, so in the 5 last (Park Ave) I take a 10 EE. (Unfortunately that size is not terribly common, so I currently only have one pair of shoes on that last. frown.gif
EDIT: etran27, I just looked back at your Delray post. before you order ANYTHING else, make sure you know how the shoe ought to fit. As someone has already pretty much said, if you have the shoes on and press your thumb against the widest part on the inside of the shoe you should feel that joint at the base of your big toe - where the elderly among us have bunions cloud.gif This point on your foot is the ball. The part of the shoe you should press on should be very obvious visually. The part of the foot your thumb is pressing on will also be obvious to you. If you are pressing behind that joint, your shoe is too short. If you are pressing in front of it (basically on the toe) your shoe is too long.

lol okay. so i can feel the joints for the width, so i guess the width is fine. but since there is about an inch from the tip of my toe to the end of the shoe, it's a little long right? or is an inch from the end of my toe to the end of the shoe a good enough amount of space. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread