So I've been reading that the McTavish fits larger (sometimes a full size) than the Strand. This is odd. Aren't they on the same last?
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAllen Edmondstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Malvern Boottagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Wilbert Lace-Uptagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryBootstagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShell Cordovantagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Murlsquirl, 4/3/15
Related Forum Threads
- The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread Last post on 12/1/16 at 8:15am in Classic Menswear
- Size 9 Shoes: Grenson Tassel Loafers and Tommy Hilfiger Oxford Boots Last post on 11/27/11 at 5:58pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on Today at 8:00 pm in Classic Menswear
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E $2,200 Last post on 9/13/15 at 2:32am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
Last edited: 2/9/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Allen Edmond Park Avenue sizingLast edited: 1/27/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOsLast edited: 5/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 666post #9977 of 707379/23/12 at 2:12am
I'm also wondering about the Malvern. I'm normally a 10.5. My feet are about 10.25 inches long. I have an opportunity to buy a pair of new suede Malverns in size 10. Will that work? With cheaper chukkas people tend to say to buy them smaller than your normal size. And how well will the suede hold up if it occasionally gets a little rain on it?
Also, I'm considering buying this used burgundy split-toe. I think it's an Ashton. Does it look worth buying? Will those creases come out if I leave shoe trees in them for a while?post #9978 of 707379/23/12 at 5:38ampost #9979 of 707379/23/12 at 5:56am
So, I was looking at the AE site last night and saw the Cronmok's. I started drooling over the tan leather, but the more I looked at the Navy leather, the more badass I decided they are. But I'm not sure what I'd wear a navy boot with. I'm an academic, and wear jeans about 95% of the time.
Any ideas for what to pair them with or looks you can link me to?post #9980 of 707379/23/12 at 6:04amQuote:
When the LE Cap Dundee came out I drove 3 hours to pick up a pair of Malvern because the SA told me the Dundee was basically the Malvern and I wanted to check the fit. Which when the Dundee was released I found out was not correct. In the store the Malvern was snug but not too bad so I ended up purchasing them. I wore them in the house for a couple of hours and realized that they were too tight in the toe box. I called the store and they offered to stretch them, so I did that myself at home. But they never did stretch out enough (brown pebble calf) so I ended returning them. When I ordered the LE Dundee's that are now being offered the CS person at AE told me the Malvern has memory foam in it which makes it thicker than other #1 last shoes. The Malvern has Danite soles and from what I have read they are OK in the snow but if you walk on tile once you come inside and are wet several people have mentioned they are extremely slick. I really did want them to work but it was a no go for me.Quote:
Most of my shoes are on the #5 last and that last fits me best, I am a 10D in that last including the Strand. But all 3 of my rough collection shoes one of which is the McTavish fit best in 9.5D. I would start down half a size from your Strand size.post #9981 of 707379/23/12 at 6:07amQuote:Quote:
I'm trying to be patient with the burgundy shell Dalton webgems I've got on order. I was advised that because they're a 14B, they could take a bit longer to ship than would a more common size. As long as I have money down on shoes that aren't yet available I can generally keep myself from lusting too hard after other shoes that I can neither justify nor afford...
...but YOU GUYS AREN'T HELPING. These are gorgeous! Keep the photos coming.post #9982 of 707379/23/12 at 6:26ampost #9983 of 707379/23/12 at 6:47ampost #9984 of 707379/23/12 at 7:06amI decided to take care of the water damage on my black shell Leeds today. The horsehair brush did nothing -- but an old t-shirt and some Venetian shoe cream quickly got the toes back to respectability. Ready for autumn now with some raw denim and flannel shirts:post #9985 of 707379/23/12 at 8:27amI would guess (and hope) that they had to do it in order to make the shoes eligible for recrafting. Our BB in New Orleans is next door in the Canal Place mall to the AE store. When I saw the AE models at BB earlier in the year I quizzed my SA about it, particularly how they had differentiated the models (tap sole, insole) and whether recrafting was possible. He said that he doubted it since BB wasn't being forthcoming about the AE brand. We both speculated that a nice quid-pro-quo would be to acknowledge the brand in return for the recraft services.
Not an authoritative answer, but it would make sense from a corporate strategy & customer service perspective.post #9986 of 707379/23/12 at 8:28amQuote:Quote:
Hmmm... Well, mine says "Exp date: 10/13"-- I'd assume yours will probably be the same.post #9987 of 707379/23/12 at 8:30ampost #9988 of 707379/23/12 at 8:42amQuote:Originally Posted by rmaurer
I would guess (and hope) that they had to do it in order to make the shoes eligible for recrafting. Our BB in New Orleans is next door in the Canal Place mall to the AE store. When I saw the AE models at BB earlier in the year I quizzed my SA about it, particularly how they had differentiated the models (tap sole, insole) and whether recrafting was possible. He said that he doubted it since BB wasn't being forthcoming about the AE brand. We both speculated that a nice quid-pro-quo would be to acknowledge the brand in return for the recraft services.
Not an authoritative answer, but it would make sense from a corporate strategy & customer service perspective.
Interesting. That makes sense.
Also interesting is that the BB shoes first had the tap sole, but now a version is also available on AE shoes. There's really no reason the BB shoes can't be recrafted, except for marketing reasons.post #9989 of 707379/23/12 at 8:49amSo I'm looking for another pair to rotate for work along with my PA during the rediscovery sale but I have a few questions.
1) Is a second quality strand worth it at $200? Im worried that the defect with it will be bigger than I'd like.
2) If i wear 9e on the PA do I order the same size for the strands? Same last
3) I'm also interested in the Norwich or Kenilworth or maybe possibly the fifth avenue in burnished brown but
Stylewise its too close to the PA.. Price for first quality FA seems good at $230. I'd like the norwich but I'm
Not sure if its worth it at $260. Im thinking about getting the norwich then getting the strands when the next
Nordstrom sale comes around, what do you guys think?
4) Any recommendations for shoes I can wear with a suit and dress down with jeans?
5) Should two pairs of shoes be enough for work? Im working five days a week in a suit.. Of course I will be
Looking to purchase a third pair down the road..post #9990 of 707379/23/12 at 8:51am
This thread is locked
- Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
- › Why Hillary will be the next POTUS 18 seconds ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 8 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 10 minutes ago
- › John Lobb Appreciation Thread 12 minutes ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 14 minutes ago
- › Momotaro 17 minutes ago
- › Justin Fitzpatrick Laurelhurst loafers 11 UK Shoe Snob classics! ... 23 minutes ago
- › STYLEFORUM GIVES 2016 - OUR ANNUAL HOLIDAY CHARITY AUCTIONS FOR THE... 24 minutes ago
- › www.ehaberdasher.com - affiliate page 26 minutes ago
- › CARMINA 2 eye brown calf derby Skoaktiebolaget 10.5 UK BNIB Rare... 31 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...