True, but I didn't realize how easy it is to screw up shoe sizing.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAllen Edmondstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Malvern Boottagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Wilbert Lace-Uptagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryBootstagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShell Cordovantagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Murlsquirl, 4/3/15
Related Forum Threads
- The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread Last post on 1/2/17 at 4:34pm in Classic Menswear
- Size 9 Shoes: Grenson Tassel Loafers and Tommy Hilfiger Oxford Boots Last post on 11/27/11 at 5:58pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on Today at 4:42 am in Classic Menswear
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E $2,200 Last post on 9/13/15 at 2:32am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
Last edited: 2/9/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Allen Edmond Park Avenue sizingLast edited: 1/27/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOsLast edited: 5/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 606post #9077 of 707378/24/12 at 1:51pmQuote:
Very true I thought I was an easy 12D until I learned my length is an 11.5, my arch is a 12 and I'm on the border between a D width and and E width. And then try to transfer that to the various lasts and their individual nuances. . . .post #9078 of 707378/24/12 at 2:05pmpost #9079 of 707378/24/12 at 2:43pm
lol. I seized the day, but unfortunately I haven't seized the shoes... My Brannock measurements are 9 C for my left foot and 9 B/C (in between) for my right foot. AE didn't have these sizes in stock but called-in a 9C and 9B, they should be here by next Thursday. Hopefully this resolves the bowing issue for me. Phi Psi, do you have the Park Ave's? If so, what width did you ultimately decide? Thanks.post #9080 of 707378/24/12 at 4:31pmpost #9081 of 707378/24/12 at 5:43pm
My heel to toe length is a solid 11C (as fitted at the AE store). But the 11C doesn't fit me; it's too tight. I got my own Brannock device. I measure an 11.5 B/C heel to ball. The 11.5C is a little loose. The 11.5B is a little tight.
I actually went with the Alden shell cap toe in 11.5B, on order from Alden NY. Shell cordovan is generally a little looser than the calf version. However I wear the Neumok (also #5 last) in 11.5B, and they fit great.
The advantage to the AE store is that they will order two or three sizes for you, and you pick the one you like best.
Make sure you ask the SA if they are comparing the heel to toe and the heel to ball measurements. You want the larger of the two.
Again, read the Brannock instructions so you know what the SA should be doing. The AE store did not fit me properly. You need to know yourself how the measurements should be taken.Quote:Originally Posted by TRIALnERROR
lol. I seized the day, but unfortunately I haven't seized the shoes... My Brannock measurements are 9 C for my left foot and 9 B/C (in between) for my right foot. AE didn't have these sizes in stock but called-in a 9C and 9B, they should be here by next Thursday. Hopefully this resolves the bowing issue for me. Phi Psi, do you have the Park Ave's? If so, what width did you ultimately decide? Thanks.post #9082 of 707378/24/12 at 6:58pmQuote:
yes - I go up 2 inches from my pants waist size and I use the middle hole on the belt.
33 is kind of tricky - but I would probably go with the 36 belt
Chrispost #9083 of 707378/24/12 at 7:15pmQuote:
thanks, i might just try and return for a different version of the same size.
i also tried tightening the laces a lot more, which did help, but didn't fix the bowing out comletely. i'd like to minimize it as much as possible.post #9084 of 707378/24/12 at 8:36pmQuote:
Many AE belts run small; if 33, I'm next to certain AE will tell the customer to go to 36 (not 34). And I would agree.post #9085 of 707378/24/12 at 8:39pmpost #9086 of 707378/24/12 at 8:46pm
stopped into the local store in new orleans last weekend.. great service from the SA, but was surprised to see a pair of loafers I tried on were made in DR.. is this new? maybe due to them being lower priced, iirc $190. still would have purchased had they had my sz, but no luck.post #9087 of 707378/24/12 at 9:04pmQuote:Originally Posted by kwhitelaw
stopped into the local store in new orleans last weekend.. great service from the SA, but was surprised to see a pair of loafers I tried on were made in DR.. is this new? maybe due to them being lower priced, iirc $190. still would have purchased had they had my sz, but no luck.
Not sure how new it is, but it is definitely a more casual and lower price point line that they are developing. Trying to compete with the Johnston and Murphys of the world, I suppose. At least they are very open about where particular shoes are manufactured.post #9088 of 707378/24/12 at 9:23pm
I also am experiencing bowing on my first pair of AE's I bought a month ago - 8D Park Avenue. I tried on an 8.5D and they were just a bit too big. My bowing is slightly less than what's been posted recently and interestingly, it's only on the left shoe. To me that says the quality control isn't quite perfect. If the exact same size shoe on one foot has no bowing but the other does it just seems like a quality issue. My feet are symmetrical as far as I can tell.
However, the bowing doesn't bother me enough to warrant a return or complaint. As long as it fits well and feels comfortable while walking around I don't see a reason to return them. Mine were also shipped directly from a factory because I wasn't satisfied with the creasing I found in the pairs at various Nordstroms.post #9089 of 707378/24/12 at 9:25pm
I know this is the "appreciation" thread and while I am quite appreciative of my first real dress shoes, the one thing I wish the Park Ave had was a longer cap on the toe. It seems a bit too short. For my next shoe I wanted a brown 5th Ave but since the cap toe is essentially the same size as the PA, I am looking at other brands.post #9090 of 707378/24/12 at 9:27pm
There have been a few discussions here about the cap toe length. I would suggest contacting AE
And letting them know your thoughts. It's the only way to get it changed I think. Be sure to mention that you decided to go with another vendor because of this issue.
This thread is locked
- Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
- › Official Sales Alert thread 28 seconds ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 1 minute ago
- › Crockett & Jones MTO Central 1 minute ago
- › Cars We Drive! 2 minutes ago
- › OFFICIAL President Trump Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Suitsupply NYC 3 minutes ago
- › Poor man's watch thread 3 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 6 minutes ago
- › BNWT $800 AMI by Alexandre Mattiussi Blazer size 48EU/38US 10 minutes ago
- › The official John Elliott B&S&T thread 11 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...