Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAllen Edmondstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Malvern Boottagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Wilbert Lace-Uptagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryBootstagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShell Cordovantagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Murlsquirl, 4/3/15
Related Forum Threads
- The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread Last post on 8/18/16 at 7:15am in Classic Menswear
- Size 9 Shoes: Grenson Tassel Loafers and Tommy Hilfiger Oxford Boots Last post on 11/27/11 at 5:58pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on 8/26/16 at 2:42pm in Classic Menswear
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E $2,200 Last post on 9/13/15 at 2:32am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
Last edited: 2/9/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Allen Edmond Park Avenue sizingLast edited: 1/27/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOsLast edited: 5/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 588post #8807 of 707378/18/12 at 4:30pmpost #8808 of 707378/18/12 at 4:35pmQuote:Originally Posted by mudmutt
Been reading forum for a couple of months now (first post) and made my first AE purchase. I tried the Strand locally and was fitted for an 11D. After doing research on the forum and finding out about the AE Factory Seconds I purchased a pair of Cordovan Bradley's in the 11D also. My foot is not narrow at all and when I read about the Strand is says the 5-65 last is "long and narrow". So I felt comfortable that the Bradley would be an equivalent fit, if not a bit roomier in the ball of the foot or toe area.
I've been trying to break them in by wearing them in the house last night and this morning. My right foot (which is the slightly larger of my two) feels very snug on my little toe. Enough that if I try and "stretch" my toes out I can see where my little toe is pushing out on the leather of the shoe.
So after all this background, here's my question(s). I expect that the shoe will stretch/break-in a bit more and that it could end up being completely comfortable to wear. I hate to think it wouldn't and that I should have gone up another half size. The other concern is the way the leather is on the Bradley. If my toe is pressing against the outside of the shoe enough to stretch the leather, will this stretching ultimately make the shoe stretch in the one spot making the shoe not look correct anymore?
I know this is the whole downside to purchasing online, but I was very eager to get the Bradley's and couldn't beat the cost of getting the factory seconds (which look to be great). I appreciate any advice in advance.
What I have in these two models:
9D walnut calf strand
9D dark brown shell strand
10D burgundy shell bradley
With my strands I wear thin socks typically. With my bradleys I wear a medium-thickness sock typically. There is no possible way I could wear a bradley in 9D.post #8809 of 707378/18/12 at 5:08pmpost #8810 of 707378/18/12 at 7:44pm
I don't own the Rutledge, but I tried it on with the intention of buying. While I did not purchase it due to the last not being a great fit for me, I would dare to say that the profile and styling make this the nicest looking cap toe (and one of the nicest looking shoes, period) in the AE lineup.post #8811 of 707378/19/12 at 2:40amQuote:Originally Posted by JubeiSpiegel
Made the drive to the Brooks Brothers CountryClub store to compare the AE pert. cap toe vs. the C&J pert. cap toe. A side by side comparison, so you all can look at the proportion differences:
THe C&J looks better in proportions, and the leather quality and details are a bit better. But at retail, i don't feel it is twice as good as the AE, i was hoping it would be more sleek in person.
I agree with your judgement regarding the proportions. The main issue I have with the AE pert. cap toe (which is basically a fifth avenue with slightly changed details) is the shortish looking toe cap.
The price differential cannot be used as a proxy for quality since it is distorted by tariffs: In the US, C&J will be massively more expensive than AE (I think C&J Benchgrade goes for a ~$570 before taxes vs. AE for $335 before taxes), but this is caused by tariffs imposed on shoes made in the EU. In Europe, the C&Js would be around 340EUR (excl. VAT) and AE would be 330EUR (excl. VAT), this time it is the EU imposing tariffs on US-made shoes.post #8812 of 707378/19/12 at 10:31ampost #8813 of 707378/19/12 at 10:32ampost #8814 of 707378/19/12 at 11:52amAnyone know which AE model this Brooks loafer is? Is it the Presidio?
http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=1219&Product_Id=1518590&Parent_Id=1215&default_color=BLACK&sort_by=lowestPrice§ioncolor=§ionsize=post #8815 of 707378/19/12 at 11:58ampost #8816 of 707378/19/12 at 1:43pmQuote:Originally Posted by kmdsimpson
Anyone know which AE model this Brooks loafer is? Is it the Presidio?
Yes, it is indeed their version of the Presidio. I think the sole is different, however. There may also be other minor differences as is common in BB versions of many AE/Alden varieties.post #8817 of 707378/19/12 at 1:46pmQuote:
Thanks! Yes, the sole is different. It is the standard BB/AE sole - the rubber Topy-like outsole on the front half.post #8818 of 707378/19/12 at 1:55pmQuote:Originally Posted by New Shoes1
The welt and the cap toe line are the major differences between the two. Also agree that $420 for the Peal is tough to justify. For me, there was no way I would ever buy 5th Avenues and I had a few hundred in gift cards, which was why I went with the Peal on sale. For what it's worth, my next cap toe will probably be Meermin.
On the BB website, the Peal version (i.e., C&J benchgrade) is $598 and the AE version is $368. I prefer the Peal version for the reasons identified earlier in this thread - proportions, location of cap, etc. However, $598 for C&J benchgrade is out of whack, when a guy can get C&J benchgrade models from PLAL (and a few British vendors) for around $400. $400-ish is a nice price for C&J benchgrade. I would not pay $598 for this shoe. For that price tag I would go with black shell.post #8819 of 707378/19/12 at 2:43pmpost #8820 of 707378/19/12 at 4:01pm
This thread is locked
- Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
Currently, there are 884 Active Users (112 Members and 772 Guests)
- › Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or... 6 minutes ago
- › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 9 minutes ago
- › What Movies Are You Watching Lately 10 minutes ago
- › LuxeSwap - Official Affiliate Thread 16 minutes ago
- › Equus Leather - Bridle Leather Belts - Official Affiliate Thread 19 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, ... 1 hour, 21 minutes ago
- › ***The Official Rick Owens Thread*** 1 hour, 25 minutes ago
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 1 hour, 35 minutes ago
- › Church's Pembrey Prestige White Moccasin in a size 10F UK 1 hour, 38 minutes ago
- › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread 1 hour, 38 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding