or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 57  

post #841 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston S. View Post

Booo! The 25% off that Amazon is offering right now is better if they have the model that you are looking for. Discount will only show upon check out. Credit to curzon in the Official Events and PSA thread.

Please elaborate, i am at the checkout screen right now, I picked a shoe like instructed, and do not see the 25% discount frown.gif
post #842 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiSpiegel View Post


Please elaborate, i am at the checkout screen right now, I picked a shoe like instructed, and do not see the 25% discount frown.gif


It only applies to certain shoes, it will say "Save 25% on Select Men's Dress Shoes" in a little box...

post #843 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by blsing View Post



It only applies to certain shoes, it will say "Save 25% on Select Men's Dress Shoes" in a little box...

Ow, bother, it looks like the styles on sale are the ones I either have or don't want. Nice tip though.
post #844 of 70737
The Kenilworth is a great deal @ $209. Just one left in dk brown 10.5D!

The 5th St is also on sale.
post #845 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiSpiegel View Post

Please elaborate, i am at the checkout screen right now, I picked a shoe like instructed, and do not see the 25% discount frown.gif

Sorry my post was a bit misleading. I've edited.
post #846 of 70737

Bought my first AEs this fall. The Strands are new, picked up during the sale a few weeks ago for about $265, if I remember correctly. I overpaid, since I had to pay tax as well, but the salesman went through a *LOT* of trouble to help me find the right size. The PAs are used from eBay ($45).

 

Per the ebay shoes... they're darkened, dry, and cracked on the insole. The outsole was also dry and in two spots, beginning to crack. Luckily, they had just been resoled and reheeled. While generally ill-advised, I rescued the outers with polish, saddle soap, mink oil, and re-polishing. The insole received much saddle-soaping and mink-oiling and might yet use some Lexol.  Considering they came to me nearly unwearable, I'm happy with the results. (as per the plastic shoe-tree... I've got new cedars arriving tomorrow)

 

My next shoes should be winter boots... but they'll probably be Walnut Strands.

 

shoes-ae-sf-1111.jpg


Edited by rostov - 11/15/11 at 1:20pm
post #847 of 70737

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrick_b View Post


I love the Tresana! The cabernet brown color is really something. These are a couple of yrs old now.
221
224
245


These shoes are amazing. What is your care regimen to have shoes that are a few years old look like this? And if you don't mind, what is your process for shining shoes?

 

post #848 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by REguy View Post

My recent haul. One pair of firsts, one pair of factory seconds that I couldn't find anything wrong with. Looks-wise, the stitching on the Powell goes too far down the toe which creates a weird curve when viewed from the side. That's one of my main beefs with AE, the styling on many pairs is just a little off to my eye. However, I've got no right to complain for how much I've got into these. They'll be awesome winter shoes.

AllenEdmondsVanNessPowell.jpg
Are the black shoes Van Ness?
post #849 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostov View Post

Bought my first AEs this fall. The Strands are new, picked up during the sale a few weeks ago for about $265, if I remember correctly. I overpaid, since I had to pay tax as well, but the salesman went through a *LOT* of trouble to help me find the right size. The PAs are used from eBay ($45).

Per the ebay shoes... they're darkened, dry, and cracked on the insole. The outsole was also dry and in two spots, beginning to crack. Luckily, they had just been resoled and reheeled. While generally ill-advised, I rescued the outers with polish, saddle soap, mink oil, and re-polishing. The insole received much saddle-soaping and mink-oiling and might yet use some Lexol.  Considering they came to me nearly unwearable, I'm happy with the results. (as per the plastic shoe-tree... I've got new cedars arriving tomorrow)

My next shoes should be winter boots... but they'll probably be Walnut Strands.

350x466px-LL-9d1896f6_shoes-ae-sf-1111.jpeg

PA's look nice, not sure how I feel about wearing shoes from a stranger. But I guess if you get a good enough deal you can take it to the cobler and he will spruse em up!
post #850 of 70737
Anybody have any "in the wild" Cordovan Randolph shots they could post?
post #851 of 70737
Quote:
Are the black shoes Van Ness?

Yep, Van Ness and Powell.
post #852 of 70737


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselman89 View Post


PA's look nice, not sure how I feel about wearing shoes from a stranger. But I guess if you get a good enough deal you can take it to the cobler and he will spruse em up!


 

My wife had a bit of a gag reaction as well. However, AE owners tend to take good care of their prized possessions. They'll be my go-to "wedding and funeral" shoes. At a width of 3E-4E, I'd rather stand all day in some fitting shoes from a stranger, than some cheap D-width shoes two sizes too long. They didn't smell at all, despite the darkening and cracking of the insole. I'm happy with the repairs I've already done, but the Lexol will help when it arrives by post. I'm tempted to fine-grit sand (the insole) as well.

 

 

 

post #853 of 70737
Two words:

North Platte. icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #854 of 70737

Guys, I just took delivery of these beautiful shoes, which fit perfectly in the toe box but the heel slips.

 

akh8vo.jpg

 

Do I:

a) return and find a store that has them in stock and try different sizes

b) get heel bumpers

c) the #2 last just doesn't fit my foot and I should go for a different last

 

I'm partial to b because I'm impatient but I think a is the obvious choice. More or less I'm just annoyed that they don't fit because I wanted to wear them for Thanksgiving facepalm.gif

 

 

post #855 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMartNJ View Post

Guys, I just took delivery of these beautiful shoes, which fit perfectly in the toe box but the heel slips.

LL

Do I:
a) return and find a store that has them in stock and try different sizes
b) get heel bumpers
c) the #2 last just doesn't fit my foot and I should go for a different last

I'm partial to b because I'm impatient but I think a is the obvious choice. More or less I'm just annoyed that they don't fit because I wanted to wear them for Thanksgiving facepalm.gif


I am having the same issue with the Tresana. In my typical AE size, it has plentiful toe box space but leaves me with a slipping heel, even with a very tight lace-up (leaving almost no gap on the laces). I'm hoping sizing down will improve the fit, otherwise i don't see myself getting this model. Regarding bumpers and pads, I had a heel slip problem with my Moras, but a tongue pad did the trick. If you've never used a heel bumper, it is going to jam your toes further up the toe box, to the point that it might be uncomfortable. Aside from the fact that the bumper might aggravate your heels. The tongue pad though, pushes your foot back, keeping your toe box the same while improving your heel fit. Might be an option, but i would try to size down before making that decision.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...