or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 4661  

post #69901 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsheer View Post
 

If i may, my first thought would also be a PA or Carlyle in a mirror shine. That would definitely be a more versatile shoe, a shoe that you can also wear for many occasions. However in this particular case, since its a tux or, i assume, a black tie affair, i would be hesitant to use the wayfair simply because it is a blucher. As a matter of fact, the more formal oxford PA or Carlyle would probably be as "informal" as i would go with a tux.  However I am not one to follow those strict dress conventions. 

 

This is what I wore with my tux for my wedding:

 

 

 

To Boot New York "Caine" in black calf.

post #69902 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeseano View Post

Does anyone know if AE makes a plain-toe oxford in patent leather? I need something to wear with my tux for my wedding, and I love my AEs.

 

Have you considered a black whole cut instead? Not sure if AE offers one besides the Cornwallis.

post #69903 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheJox View Post
 

 

This is what I wore with my tux for my wedding:

 

 

 

To Boot New York "Caine" in black calf.

Fantastic! Get a mirror shine on those babies and you're all set.

post #69904 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunted22 View Post

I'd go w/ Park Ave in black shell personally.
I have a pair of Park Avenues in regular black leather already and I love them. I think I'd like something a little different for the wedding though.
post #69905 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheJox View Post

I'd go Carlyle, no contest.
They look great! Any downside to not going with patent leather?
post #69906 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarteaga View Post

Have you considered a black whole cut instead? Not sure if AE offers one besides the Cornwallis.
Yeah, definitely, but I'd want something more formal than the Cornwallis.
post #69907 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeseano View Post


They look great! Any downside to not going with patent leather?

 

In my opinion, none.  A pair of nice calfskin plain toe balmorals (like the Carlyle) with a mirror shine on the toes looks as good or better, in my opinion (and I know I'm not alone).  Honestly, I think patent leather kinda looks cheapish (even the real expensive ones).  I originally bought a patent version of that TBNY Caine shoe I posted above, but returned them and opted for calfskin since they looked nicer, and would be more useful than just the rare occasion I'd wear my tux.  I don't regret my decision.

post #69908 of 70737
I received a pair of Lexington in black calf on dainite sole from the recent seconds sale. They came with a very high glossy shine. Much shinier and glossier than any pair I've gotten from AE, firsts or seconds. Here is a pic:



Can anyone share any thoughts about why these are so shiny? Do you think they polished them to cover up some flaw in the leather? Did some customer shine them up with an all-over wax job and then return them? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
post #69909 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosy View Post

I received a pair of Lexington in black calf on dainite sole from the recent seconds sale. They came with a very high glossy shine. Much shinier and glossier than any pair I've gotten from AE, firsts or seconds. Here is a pic:



Can anyone share any thoughts about why these are so shiny? Do you think they polished them to cover up some flaw in the leather? Did some customer shine them up with an all-over wax job and then return them? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

 

I think Paul (the CEO) said that their more recently made shoes are being produced with a higher gloss finishing.  Some people like this, some people don't.

post #69910 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheJox View Post
 

 

I think Paul (the CEO) said that their more recently made shoes are being produced with a higher gloss finishing.  Some people like this, some people don't.

I've noticed on some recent purchases of firsts, that they have come with a shinier finish.  However these are glossed to the point of a mirror shine...


Edited by mosy - 1/25/16 at 9:13pm
post #69911 of 70737

Sizing question:

 

I measure 8.5 in length but 9 in heel to ball.  So typically I need a 9 for a proper fit.  I have the PA in black and brown and the 9D works fine.  For the Lexington, which is the same last but in a blucher, I ordered a 9D, expecting a similar fit.  Overall they feel fine, however there is some gapping near the ankles.  I'm wondering if due to the extra room of the blucher style, if I would be better suited to an 8.5D.  Does this make sense?  Does anyone here find that they size down from PA to Lexington?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

post #69912 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosy View Post

I've noticed on some recent purchases of firsts, that they have come with a shinier finish.  However these are glossed to the point of a mirror shine...

See how the shine is affecting how the shoe creases (enlarge for full effect):

post #69913 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosy View Post
 

Sizing question:

 

I measure 8.5 in length but 9 in heel to ball.  So typically I need a 9 for a proper fit.  I have the PA in black and brown and the 9D works fine.  For the Lexington, which is the same last but in a blucher, I ordered a 9D, expecting a similar fit.  Overall they feel fine, however there is some gapping near the ankles.  I'm wondering if due to the extra room of the blucher style, if I would be better suited to an 8.5D.  Does this make sense?  Does anyone here find that they size down from PA to Lexington?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

 

Many of the initial reviews of the Lexington (at least with the leather sole) commented on the bowing and gaps at the ankle. I have this issue on my left shoe quite often. While some would say this is a fit issue, the shoes all still feels quite comfortable, so I pretty much ignore it. Interestingly, the only AE blucher I own is the McGregor which doesn't bow at all.  

post #69914 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by redmusic1 View Post
 

 

Many of the initial reviews of the Lexington (at least with the leather sole) commented on the bowing and gaps at the ankle. I have this issue on my left shoe quite often. While some would say this is a fit issue, the shoes all still feels quite comfortable, so I pretty much ignore it. Interestingly, the only AE blucher I own is the McGregor which doesn't bow at all.  

 

Thanks, appreciate the info.  Any thoughts on the ultra-glossy finish (see above)?

post #69915 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosy View Post
 

 

Thanks, appreciate the info.  Any thoughts on the ultra-glossy finish (see above)?


I have a pair of Merlot PA's that had that ultra shine on only one shoe. I evened it out best I could, but the real aggravation is that their spray stuff doesn't take a wax polish well. My mirror shine on the other shoe looks much better than the sprayed on lacquer or whatever it is. Not to mention the fact that the spray goes over the vamp where I don't want to shine with wax. I believe some have said they had success removing it with Saphir Renomat or something similar. I haven't tried yet myself. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...