or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 4651  

post #69751 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dario65 View Post
 

 

 

Not a big deal at all to me. Chances are you're going to get a scratch or mark like that anyway while wearing them.

post #69752 of 70737
I have had a really good shoe week and wanted to share my haul.

Been chasing a pair of whiskey LHS's since I sold my Aldens due to fit issues about a year ago. These were delivered on Tuesday and I could not be more pleased............



I like the look out of the box but expect them to patina similar to the dundee's in my signature. And the 'cherry on top' is that my winning bid was slightly less than half of my max.

My MTO Burgendy Strands are one of my favorite style shoes. I saw these on the Bay and hesitated for roughly 30 seconds before pulling the trigger. Paid full price, but could not pass up the opportunity to get an incredible shoe in a rare color than may never be made again....




And lastly, a repeat post from Monday, these were delivered fro AE recrafting on Monday. Had the double-leather swapped out for Dainite (my first experience with this sole). So far, so good.......



Good week.
post #69753 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnc View Post

I have had a really good shoe week and wanted to share my haul.

Been chasing a pair of whiskey LHS's since I sold my Aldens due to fit issues about a year ago. These were delivered on Tuesday and I could not be more pleased............



I like the look out of the box but expect them to patina similar to the dundee's in my signature. And the 'cherry on top' is that my winning bid was slightly less than half of my max.
 

 

 

Very jealous.  I'd love a pair of loafers in natural or whiskey shell.  I love my natty shell Daltons.

post #69754 of 70737

Before posting to the shoe care thread, I figured I'd pose the questions here... since I know a few of you have experience with "self" burnishing.

 

I'm wanting to darken the toe and heel of my walnut First Avenues and would love some pointers. What would be the best color to use? I have the following options: AE tube polish in dark chili, bourbon, or black and Meltonian in brown, navy blue, or cognac. Anything else to consider?

 

Also, I am wanting to "play" with my walnut Daltons somewhat. I have a few other walnut boot options, so I figured I could darken these over time with light coats all over. If it were you, what color would you start with?

 

Thanks, fellas!

post #69755 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by middlepP View Post
 

Before posting to the shoe care thread, I figured I'd pose the questions here... since I know a few of you have experience with "self" burnishing.

 

I'm wanting to darken the toe and heel of my walnut First Avenues and would love some pointers. What would be the best color to use? I have the following options: AE tube polish in dark chili, bourbon, or black and Meltonian in brown, navy blue, or cognac. Anything else to consider?

 

Also, I am wanting to "play" with my walnut Daltons somewhat. I have a few other walnut boot options, so I figured I could darken these over time with light coats all over. If it were you, what color would you start with?

 

Thanks, fellas!


It kind of depends what shade you want them to end up.  If you use black, you'll get a darker tone more similar to bourbon (my understanding is AE's bourbon is actually just walnut that is heavily burnished with black polish at the factory).  If you use a medium or dark brown, you'll still darken them a bit, but the process will certainly be more gradual.  By using chili or a similar shade, in my experience, the shoes will pick up a bit more of a burnt red tone, which can also be nice.

 

One precaution on using black on walnut straight away - don't glob it on; the color difference is so stark, it can look really blotchy if you try to do too much all at once.  At least that was my experience.  Go slow and light on the applications.

post #69756 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22busy View Post

I just noticed that they added some new colors to the Maritime boat shoes. I think I'll be picking up a pair this summer.

I agree. The muted, almost pastel like, colors on the Maritimes make them look like a great summer boat shoe. Question is whether I pick up a pair. I've already told myself I'm on a budget and no more shoes in 2016. Bwahahaha!
post #69757 of 70737

Anyone know the name of this shoe? Its from the AE by Allen Edmonds line.  I'm not really hot on loafers, but I really dig these.  Too big for my feet though.  :brick:

 

 

post #69758 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeyhoatie View Post

Speaking of "rotations." Glad to see the term "filthy barn weasels" has stayed in it. I'm looking forward to the day when I have enough funds kicking around to knock 1-2 more pairs off my list and have a rotation worth sharing.

Chin up, man. Post some pics as you're enjoying and appreciating what you have! We all enjoy seeing each other's AEs in the wild. nod[1].gif
post #69759 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnc View Post

My MTO Burgendy Strands are one of my favorite style shoes. I saw these on the Bay and hesitated for roughly 30 seconds before pulling the trigger. Paid full price, but could not pass up the opportunity to get an incredible shoe in a rare color than may never be made again....




And lastly, a repeat post from Monday, these were delivered fro AE recrafting on Monday. Had the double-leather swapped out for Dainite (my first experience with this sole). So far, so good.......



Good week.

 

 

What color are these strands? They are such a beautiful olive tone.

post #69760 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burzan View Post
 

 

 

What color are these strands? They are such a beautiful olive tone.


That has to be walnut shell.

post #69761 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burzan View Post


What color are these strands? They are such a beautiful olive tone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polojock615 View Post


That has to be walnut shell.

Could be truffle. I tried on a pair of Dundees that looked exactly like that. They didn't fit tho, so I had to acquit.
post #69762 of 70737
First day really wearing my new Rutledges... The leather on the upper is incredible. Are the other Indy line shoes made from the same leather and quality?
post #69763 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattRiv View Post

First day really wearing my new Rutledges... The leather on the upper is incredible. Are the other Indy line shoes made from the same leather and quality?
Yep. Love my Jeffersons and Rutledges. Got them both for a steal, wish I'd picked up the others when they were still available on clearance.
post #69764 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattRiv View Post

First day really wearing my new Rutledges... The leather on the upper is incredible. Are the other Indy line shoes made from the same leather and quality?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by naspratt View Post


Yep. Love my Jeffersons and Rutledges. Got them both for a steal, wish I'd picked up the others when they were still available on clearance.

 

The Indy leather is double-tanned and ends up pretty buttery.  The closeouts of Jefferson/Rutledge/etc. last year represented some of the best AE deals I've seen.  Really top-notch shoes.

post #69765 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattRiv View Post

I returned home from a business trip in San Francisco to find those Rutledges that I ordered during the flash sale. Fits much like my PAs through the foot with a more Eurostyle toe box.

Great looking shoe. Buttery soft leather (my first Indy shoe) inside and out. One question though, the leather all over the shoes has some "creasing effect" on it, not sure if that's common with the leather used on these shoes as it's got a different feel. I think the defect on these is inconsistent burnishing, which I will fix.

Any of you put a vibram sole on these? What do you think of them as seconds? I will probably keep them regardless as I got them for a great deal.
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

I love that rogue burnishing wheel - making good shoes less expensive!  Looking forward to pics of the de-burnishing . . .

 

My guess is that the shoes were in the box a while; I saw this with one of the Rutledge pairs I picked up.  Several have noted that Indy line shoes don't polish to as high a glass as typical calfskin AE shoes - just speculating, but polish may not penetrate as much on that lovely buttery leather.  Some conditioner (I like Bick 4) should help.

 

One thing to watch - I've seen a few pairs of Rutledges where the heels were misaligned.  Essentially, if you force the heel to sit flat, the sole under the ball of your foot will be up in the air.  It was pretty extreme on one pair I bought and I sent them in for replacement heels (shoes can be seconds due to cosmetic defects, but not structural ones, so AE fixed that on the house).  May not be an issue, especially if you put vibram / topy soles on, but FYI.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...