I got tired of waiting for Allen Edmonds to bring something like this back again so I went ahead and sprang for a pair of Aldens like the one in this picture but I'd rather have Allen Edmonds.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAllen Edmondstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Malvern Boottagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Wilbert Lace-Uptagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryBootstagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShell Cordovantagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Murlsquirl, 4/3/15
Related Forum Threads
- The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread Last post on 1/31/17 at 1:56pm in Classic Menswear
- Size 9 Shoes: Grenson Tassel Loafers and Tommy Hilfiger Oxford Boots Last post on 11/27/11 at 5:58pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on Today at 1:07 pm in Classic Menswear
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E $2,200 Last post on 9/13/15 at 2:32am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
Last edited: 2/9/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Allen Edmond Park Avenue sizingLast edited: 1/27/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOsLast edited: 5/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 4642post #69616 of 707371/18/16 at 3:40pmpost #69617 of 707371/18/16 at 6:49pmpost #69618 of 707371/18/16 at 7:01pmQuick question. How much of a difference is there quality wise between the AE Gobi Chukka (snuff suede) and the Alden Unlined Chukka (snuff suede)? Obviously the Alden one will be higher quality but is there really a major difference? I actually have the Gobi. I would just like to know how they compare to the Aldens. Thanks!post #69619 of 707371/18/16 at 7:09pmpost #69620 of 707371/18/16 at 7:19pm
I've been curious about this, too. I also have to wear business suits at least five days a week. I bought the smooth brown MacNeils when they went on clearance early in the fall, but haven't worn them yet -- I've been trying to further "wear out" a couple of older pairs before I bin them. But, since I haven't worn them, I've been considering returning them for a pair of the brown grain 2.0s, which would be "more different" from the other pairs of brown shoes I own and would be more versatile in bad weather and with cords and tweed sportcoats.
Quote:post #69621 of 707371/18/16 at 7:20pmpost #69622 of 707371/18/16 at 7:26pmpost #69623 of 707371/18/16 at 7:36pmQuote:
Agreed - very nice. I need to get more natural edges. Hmmm... maybe need to modify a couple of pairs I have...post #69624 of 707371/18/16 at 7:37pmQuote:
I think you're right.
Open lacing instead of closed.
Split welt instead of flat.
Brogueing instead of plain.
Grain leather instead of smooth.
The grain MacNeil, with or without the new sole, is a great option for odd jacket and tie, especially tweedy, "country" fits, not to mention tieless days. But, all the casual characteristics mentioned about make pairing them with a suit too much of a reach in my view.post #69625 of 707371/18/16 at 7:47pmpost #69626 of 707371/18/16 at 8:18pmpost #69627 of 707371/18/16 at 9:07pmQuote:Originally Posted by Count de Monet
Regarding your Hopkinsons, how do you like them? Any problems with the cap toe or creasing in that area? Is the leather softer and/or grainier like some Indy line offerings in the past? Does that "stich" thing just below the bottom of the laces look as high and wide as it appears on the AE website? Any thoughts would be appreciated. In my rare opportunities to be in a brick and mortar AE store, they've never had this shoe.
* * *
I guess the closest I have to duplications are:
* oxford wingtips and LWB's both in burgundy shell (Cambridges and vintage Florsheim Imperials);
* oxford wingtips and LWB's both in dark brown calf (Jefferson 1.0's and RL x AE Sandersons).
If I were starting from scratch and wishing to adhere to Manton's six shoe "streamlined" set, I would think the Jefferson in brown and the gunboat in burg shell would check a couple of boxes so no need for the Cambridge or Sanderson. However, now that I have them, I can't see tossing any of them. The Cambridge particularly was a bit of a grail for me.
Since I was home today I'll show you the pics I took earlier.
There is some creasing but not as bad as normal calf, the leather feels very similar to my Ferragamos and CJ leather shoes. It feels more supple than my AE Jefferson 1.0.post #69628 of 707371/19/16 at 2:25amQuote:
Could someone please give me a hand with the above two unanswered queries - cheers.post #69629 of 707371/19/16 at 2:47am
I don't fit 5 or 7 last, so I can't help you.
As for the dark chili, it's darker. They're both good colors, close, one's just a touch darker than the other. Dark chili is better because I like it more, and because it's universal. There's pretty much no color or fabric you'll normally find pants made out of that it doesn't go with.post #69630 of 707371/19/16 at 5:11am
This thread is locked
- Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
- › Antonio Meccariello Shoes 1 minute ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 5 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice,... 7 minutes ago
- › Nespresso Club 7 minutes ago
- › Truman Boots 8 minutes ago
- › Ermenegildo Zegna Blue Sport Coat 52L 42L Recent Made In Italy... 8 minutes ago
- › Any One for a Scotch? 10 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 15 minutes ago
- › Raffaele Caruso - retailers in London? 15 minutes ago
- › Zam Barrett Dialogue/ Zfactorie - Official Affiliate Thread. 16 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...