or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 4593  

post #68881 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by brycelarkin View Post
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Going with the Strands in Brown Burnished Calf. Thanks for all of the help!

 

I actually have two more question:

 

  1. I'm planning on buying the Strands this month and having them sit in my closet til I start working this June. Should I do anything with regards to leather care in those 6 months before I start working? I read that you don't want the leather to dry though it being my first pair of leather shoes, I'm not entirely certain.
  2. I also want to get a second pair of shoes so that I can rotate shoes and not have to wear the same ones two days in a row. What would you guys recommend if I'm planning on wearing mostly navy and charcoal pants and in relaxed business casual environment? I don't want to spend more than $500, but also don't mind doing so if the quality:price ratio is much better.

 

Thanks again.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post


I would suggest something in burgundy or black for those colors. Pick up something different, like a blucher/derby or a sleek loafer.


I agree with this, though I would lean towards burgundy and reserve black for a nicer suit shoe in the future. Don't count chili out either if you like a style that doesn't come in merlot or oxblood. 

post #68882 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd1101 View Post



Newest acquisition. Love the fit of this last.

 

I haven't tried the fit yet, but I do love the look of this new last.  It reminds me a bit of Meermin's new rey last.  Looks great.

post #68883 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by brycelarkin View Post
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Going with the Strands in Brown Burnished Calf. Thanks for all of the help!

 

I actually have two more question:

 

  1. I'm planning on buying the Strands this month and having them sit in my closet til I start working this June. Should I do anything with regards to leather care in those 6 months before I start working? I read that you don't want the leather to dry though it being my first pair of leather shoes, I'm not entirely certain.
  2. I also want to get a second pair of shoes so that I can rotate shoes and not have to wear the same ones two days in a row. What would you guys recommend if I'm planning on wearing mostly navy and charcoal pants and in relaxed business casual environment? I don't want to spend more than $500, but also don't mind doing so if the quality:price ratio is much better.

 

Thanks again.


1.  They'll be fine with just a good brushing; the leather won't dry out in that amount of time.  That said, personally I'd probably hit them with AE's color-matching cream polish then brush the heck out of them first thing when I got them, but that's just my routine.  

 

2.  I'd consider a blucher.  If it were me, I'd go with something like the Flatiron in bourbon.  It's still sleek and will look great with slacks, but it's also easy enough to dress down, even with some nice jeans.  I think the bourbon also looks great with most grays and navy, though some others on the forum might quibble with that.  I'd also consider the Macneil in chili burnished.  

post #68884 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolarrow View Post
 

AE/RL Singletons today:

 

OANuArJ.jpg


I really like the light brown/chili sole edge on these.  

post #68885 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count de Monet View Post
 

 

In for a penny, in for a pound:  burgundy shell LWB's.:)  A brown semi-brogue and a burg blucher would be a nice 1 and 2 for what you are currently wearing.

 

In any event, I'd also suggest sitting down right now and trying to map out 5-6 "must haves" to cover not only current work needs but a broad range of events for which nicer shoes will be required.  Save up while being on the lookout for those half dozen models and then pounce as finances and opportunity allow.  Stick to your list.  It's a good way to avoid having three things for one sort of application yet having voids for other needs. (I speak from experience).  You can also spend more per model if you have fewer models, at least for a while.

 

Good luck in your new situation!


+1.  This is good advice.

post #68886 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by redmusic1 View Post



I agree with this, though I would lean towards burgundy and reserve black for a nicer suit shoe in the future. Don't count chili out either if you like a style that doesn't come in merlot or oxblood. 

Chili is a great color indeed.
post #68887 of 70737

ebay haul, AE cordovan belt for $85. Sun faded in the front a bit but otherwise in amazing condition. The color variation depends highly on the angle you look at it. Cleaned it up and it looks amazing.

 

 

post #68888 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by brycelarkin View Post

Hi guys,

I'm currently a college senior who just got a full time job in finance and am starting this summer after I graduate. I went through all of college with only one pair of $50 square toed black dress shoes I bought from Macy's. They're falling apart now.

I have an idea of how everyone dresses at my work and it's bus casual where the junior people and most of the senior people are in slacks and a dress shirt while a few senior guys show up in jeans and a polo. I plan on going in slacks and a dress shirt.

I want to invest in a pair of shoes that'll last me 10+ years. I'm currently looking at two options: AE Strands in Brown Burnished Calf or Kent Wang's Handgrade Brogue in Calf Med Brown.

With regards to pricing, both options have student promotions going on.

Allen Edmonds' has a student bundle at $350 for shoes, belt, and shoe tree which ends up being $381 with tax. I don't really need the belt and shoe tree from AE since I can get them cheaper elsewhere.

Kent Wang's has a 15% discount for students but has shipping and no tax which ends up being $422.75.

What do you guys recommend? I'm primarily going to be wearing charcoal or navy pants to work and am looking for a brown colored shoe.

I also plan on holding a graduation party and using that money to buy another pair of shoes in order to have a two shoe rotation going.

Thanks for taking the time to read everything.

tl;dr
Need work shoes
Spend $381 on AE Strands or $422.75 on Kent Wang shoes?

Brown Burnished Park Avenues imo, but I know people on here love Strands
post #68889 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by feeble View Post

Brown Burnished Park Avenues imo, but I know people on here love Strands

Meh, brogues dress down more easily than oxfords. I wouldn't wear stitch caps with business casual wear or jeans, which is his stated office attire.
post #68890 of 70737

Weeks ago I posted a picture of a pair of Fairgate shoes my cobbler had dyed, even though I had made no such request. They looked like plastic, the color was off and I would not wear them. After a long delay this exterior coat was removed and the shoe was returned to a more natural color. In natural light they are actually a pretty pleasant brown. The real reason I took them in was to sand down the sides of the heels, soles and welts, and to add eyelet grommets. At the end of the long mistakes and misadventures in their shop the shoe is now wearable and I think will improve with brushing and wear. I guess my take home lesson is to really make sure my instructions to cobblers are clear and that they are very familiar with cordovan.

 

post #68891 of 70737
They did a nice job with the heel stack.
post #68892 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by feeble View Post


Brown Burnished Park Avenues imo, but I know people on here love Strands

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post


Meh, brogues dress down more easily than oxfords. I wouldn't wear stitch caps with business casual wear or jeans, which is his stated office attire.


I agree with PC concerning the stated wear and brogues, but I simply can't pass up another opportunity to complain about my struggle to call slacks and button up, much less jeans and polo, business casual. Including jeans and polo in the same sentence with bc also inclines me to believe that by "slacks" he means cotton chinos and not wool dress slacks, in which case I would definitely stay far away from the PA's. My personal experience with cotton chinos and jeans is that they tend to drape better with a blucher, for which it appears there is no option with the student deal. 

post #68893 of 70737
You're right, I misspoke (Er, typed). It is purely casual attire. Business casual would be wool trousers and sport coats / Blazers, tie.

I think for the OP's intended use, even strands are on the formal side. I know some folks wear them with jeans, but that always makes me cringe. uhoh.gif
post #68894 of 70737
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smfdoc View Post
 

Weeks ago I posted a picture of a pair of Fairgate shoes my cobbler had dyed, even though I had made no such request. They looked like plastic, the color was off and I would not wear them. After a long delay this exterior coat was removed and the shoe was returned to a more natural color. In natural light they are actually a pretty pleasant brown. The real reason I took them in was to sand down the sides of the heels, soles and welts, and to add eyelet grommets. At the end of the long mistakes and misadventures in their shop the shoe is now wearable and I think will improve with brushing and wear. I guess my take home lesson is to really make sure my instructions to cobblers are clear and that they are very familiar with cordovan.

 

 

This has happened to me as well. I think that a lot of cobblers started out as shoeshine guys/gals and they always want to shine up ANY pair of shoes that they get in. 

post #68895 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post

You're right, I misspoke (Er, typed). It is purely casual attire. Business casual would be wool trousers and sport coats / Blazers, tie.

I think for the OP's intended use, even strands are on the formal side. I know some folks wear them with jeans, but that always makes me cringe. uhoh.gif

 

I don't wear jeans myself, but I don't mind a strand with nicer creased chinos. However, they just don't drape right for me, too stiff, so I quit trying. Linen, on the other hand, seems to drape quite nicely with them, and I like it, even if it is on the more casual side. I haven't seen enough pics of a dressier jean with strands to comment, but even if I didn't cringe, it seems like I would at least cock my head sideways. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...