or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 4584  

post #68746 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Y View Post

Merry Christmas everyone. While I like the cognac mentioned above, I really want a bourbon shoe, and now that they're on sale, I'm going to pull the trigger. Software engineer manager, 56, in Arizona. Chinos and a button down shirt, sweater in cooler weather. Help me choose. Side note, I have 4 Strands, of the 13 paris of AE, no shoes in bourbon.

Carlyle



Fifth Avenue



Park Avenue



Mcallister



Strand



Thanks and Merry Christmas to everyone.


Look for a blucher

post #68747 of 70737
@Mark_Y

I'm in the same boat. My choices would be the carlyle and the Mcallister.

I see the university on sale as well. I don't have any black shoes and from what people say the 333 last is sleek. I"m in IT myself and I can wear whatever I want, just don't know if I need black shoes. But it would be great to add some versatility
post #68748 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Y View Post

Merry Christmas Eve everyone. With the new clearance sale announce, I'm thinking of adding to my AE collection. 13 and growing. That said, I'm looking for a bourbon, as I don't currently have that color. I'm tossing between the Strand and the Mcallister. Like the University, but no bourbon, but they do have a dark chili.

My office attire (software engineering mgr, mid 50s) is chinos with a button down and sweater in the AZ winters. Chinos and a nice polo in the summer. I rarely wear jeans to work, but do wear them occasionally when out with my wife. I currently have 4 "Strand":
  •  
  • Walnut
  • Chocolate suede
  • Rush Street
  • Blue Suede Strandmok


The only wings I have are a pair of Longbranch boots in brown. My questions.... is a wing more formal than a brogue? Would the Mcallister look weird with chinos? I'm leaning bourbon Mcallisters for a change from the Strand. Just not sure if they'll work in my situation. Any comments appreciated.

Thanks

EDIT: one other thought, what about the Carlyle?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace13x View Post
 

 

 

Personally, I think bourbon looks best on the Strand, but given your situation, I can see how grabbing another Strand might be redundant.  I'm going to take a stab in the dark, but I would guess that from your work description, your typical work shoes are "nicer" than at least 50% of the people around you.  If your comfortable with wearing what you have now, then you probably won't have to worry about the level of formality.  Don't know what your other AE's are, but the Carlyle an intriguing option; though I like the PA better.  I don't thing the McAllister would look weird with chinos.

 

Somehow I don't think I've been much help.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22busy View Post


I have the bourbon Carlye and it's still my favorite of 9 pair of AE shoes. I don't care to double up on the same style in different colors. I prefer to diversify a little. The Carlye is the only shoe I've considered making an exception. I REALLY want a pair in black.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Y View Post


I like those. Just not sure of the Cognac color, would like to see in person. Hard to do in AZ. One AE store in the valley and I'm not up to fighting mall nuts tomorrow.
Thanks, I enjoyed reading your comments. Your "stab in the dark" made me chuckle. Not a brag, but it is probably closer to 90% of the people around me. Engineer types wear the same pair or two of shoes until they wear out. Which usually doesn't take long as most of them are cheap crap.

I agree that the bourbon looks a bit better in the Strand than the Mcallister, just not sure I want another Strand, although I love mine. The Carlyle is growing on me.

 

FWIW, the Carlyle in Bourbon is dead sexy.  I'm not sure I'd want the Carlyle in a plainer color, but the complexity of bourbon works very well with the unornamented (but shapely) shoe that is the Carlyle.  I never gave the Carlyles a second thought until seeing a bourbon version in the wild.

 

I'd note that for the Carlyle specifically, it would have been better to purchase yesterday; SB had them on sale for $199.  Looks like the bourbon closeout price is $219.  If you want it and have a good relationship with the sales rep, perhaps call tomorrow and see if they'll honor the Christmas Eve price.

post #68749 of 70737
SPeaking of the carlyle wouldn't it be too similar to the kenilworth? I have the kenilworth in brown and wouldn't want to duplicate the same look if I can help it

So far I have

Brown Kenilworth
Chili Lasalle
Walnut Strands
Navy suede players

I don't mind adding a bourbon in the mix or maybe black. What would you guys chose?

I'm very interested in the larchmount which is on the 333 last. Problem is I have no way to try them on. One person said they went with their normal 5 last on the 333 last.

The Mcallister is a good looking shoe as well.

Decisions I tell ya.

I'm in IT and I wear dress pants and chino's 4 days a week and jeans on Fridays.
post #68750 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7_rocket View Post

SPeaking of the carlyle wouldn't it be too similar to the kenilworth? I have the kenilworth in brown and wouldn't want to duplicate the same look if I can help it

So far I have

Brown Kenilworth
Chili Lasalle
Walnut Strands
Navy suede players

I don't mind adding a bourbon in the mix or maybe black. What would you guys chose?

I'm very interested in the larchmount which is on the 333 last. Problem is I have no way to try them on. One person said they went with their normal 5 last on the 333 last.

The Mcallister is a good looking shoe as well.

Decisions I tell ya.

I'm in IT and I wear dress pants and chino's 4 days a week and jeans on Fridays.

I'm not a black shoe guy. I have one pair of black Weejuns and an old pair of Johnson Murphy's for when I have to wear a suit. The bourbon Fifth Ave are running near the top for me. I like the Carlyle, but a tad plain with chinos. I have 4 strands so looking to maybe change it up. Mcallisters in the running too.
post #68751 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpearlberg View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by smfdoc View Post

PSA. The shoe bank site prices have been updated for the winter clearance prices. icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif Go and get them.


Which specific shoes are you looking at?  I haven't noticed any changes...

Choose the size and width of the shoe, then select Closeout under status, then click Shop shoes. I believe these are all reduced prices and not just the bourbon. For example, the Benton in chili was $254 yesterday and now is $217.

post #68752 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Y View Post

Merry Christmas everyone. While I like the cognac mentioned above, I really want a bourbon shoe, and now that they're on sale, I'm going to pull the trigger. Software engineer manager, 56, in Arizona. Chinos and a button down shirt, sweater in cooler weather. Help me choose. Side note, I have 4 Strands, of the 13 paris of AE, no shoes in bourbon.

Thanks and Merry Christmas to everyone.

 

Why bals only? Why not a blutcher like the Flatiron or the Lexington. Even Mora 2.0 will give you other possibilities. I am in similar boat as you. With many pairs I still don't have anything in bourbon, but I am looking to get a pair. I am not a big fan of the color, to begin with, but that's a person thing. To me, it looks much better with plain designs like PTB and cap toe.

 

Do keep in mind that it is a strange color that requires extra caution in maintanance so that you don't strip off the black burnishing, leaving the walnut underneath exposed. Additionally, AE has very time achieving consistant color on a pair, and the few first that I have seen in stores had significant striping. The issue is more evident with simpler designs, so keep that in mind if you go that route.

 

I am personally looking at Mora 2.0, but I haven't really been able to dial in on the 108 last. Plus I am kind of "terrified" of the tiger stripes, and I would hate to go back and forth.

post #68753 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7_rocket View Post

@Mark_Y

I'm in the same boat. My choices would be the carlyle and the Mcallister.

I see the university on sale as well. I don't have any black shoes and from what people say the 333 last is sleek. I"m in IT myself and I can wear whatever I want, just don't know if I need black shoes. But it would be great to add some versatility

 

The 333 is my favorite last; sleek is a good term.  Black Universities are pretty nice - a coworker has them and I overhear compliments regularly.

My black shoes are also 333 (Rutledge, my favorite AE style) and they go over well.

post #68754 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptr1988 View Post
 

This will be my 2nd pair of Allen Edmonds. I am looking to purchase the dalton wingtip dress boots bourbon since its on sale right now I wear a 7.5 (D) width in the Strand. Do I get the same size and width, 7.5 (D) for the dalton wingtip boot?  Or get size 7.5 (E)? The strand in 7.5 (D) fits me perfectly.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle View Post
 

 

I would stick to the same size in the Dalton. You will have a bit more room in the ball of the foot, but it shouldn't be loose. You definitely won't want to size up on the width going from the 65 to 511 last.

 

+1 to FaRKle's comment.

 

The 65 is not a great last for me - I'm 11E in it, while I'm 11D in everything else.  I tried on 11E Daltons once and was absolutely swimming in them.  I would certainly not size up; your Strand size is likely to work.

post #68755 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc808314 View Post

Why bals only? Why not a blutcher like the Flatiron or the Lexington. Even Mora 2.0 will give you other possibilities. I am in similar boat as you. With many pairs I still don't have anything in bourbon, but I am looking to get a pair. I am not a big fan of the color, to begin with, but that's a person thing. To me, it looks much better with plain designs like PTB and cap toe.

Do keep in mind that it is a strange color that requires extra caution in maintanance so that you don't strip off the black burnishing, leaving the walnut underneath exposed. Additionally, AE has very time achieving consistant color on a pair, and the few first that I have seen in stores had significant striping. The issue is more evident with simpler designs, so keep that in mind if you go that route.

I am personally looking at Mora 2.0, but I haven't really been able to dial in on the 108 last. Plus I am kind of "terrified" of the tiger stripes, and I would hate to go back and forth.

Interesting what you say about the maintenance. I wasn't aware of that. But the FA, Mcallister, and Strand don't have burnishing do they? I can see the Lexington does.
I've never been a fan of Monk Straps. I have a couple pair of blutchers, milkshake suede Leeds being a favorite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet-stream View Post

The 333 is my favorite last; sleek is a good term.  Black Universities are pretty nice - a coworker has them and I overhear compliments regularly.
My black shoes are also 333 (Rutledge, my favorite AE style) and they go over well.

It looks like the University is more of a suit shoe, especially in black?? No bourbon either. I can't find a Rutledge, are these discontinued? That said, I do like the University. Sexy shoe.
post #68756 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7_rocket View Post

SPeaking of the carlyle wouldn't it be too similar to the kenilworth? I have the kenilworth in brown and wouldn't want to duplicate the same look if I can help it

So far I have

Brown Kenilworth
Chili Lasalle
Walnut Strands
Navy suede players

I don't mind adding a bourbon in the mix or maybe black. What would you guys chose?

I'm very interested in the larchmount which is on the 333 last. Problem is I have no way to try them on. One person said they went with their normal 5 last on the 333 last.

The Mcallister is a good looking shoe as well.

Decisions I tell ya.

I'm in IT and I wear dress pants and chino's 4 days a week and jeans on Fridays.

 

The 333 is slightly wider than the 65 and is longer overall (but not functionally longer; the toe is simply a bit pointier but there is no additional forward/backward room).

I'm an 11D in all lasts but the 65 and the 1943 (which doesn't fit me at all); I'm an 11E in the 65 (and fit is not ideal).  I'd say that the 333 in 11D is essentially halfway in between a 65 11D vs. 11E.  

Of note, the 108 and 333 are pretty similar for me.  If your LaSalle and Strand are the same size, I'd go with that size for the 333 shoes.  If they are different, the devil is in the details, but I'd lean toward the 108 size. 

 

Re: Carlyle vs. Kenilworth - the differences aren't blantantly obvious, but really that's up to you.  Personally, I really like the bourbon Carlyle.

post #68757 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Y View Post

It looks like the University is more of a suit shoe, especially in black?? No bourbon either. I can't find a Rutledge, are these discontinued? That said, I do like the University. Sexy shoe.

 

Yes, Rutledges are discontinued.  They were in the last lineup of independence shoes.  You can occasionally find one or two floating around ebay, but they will be challenging to acquire.  Apologies - didn't mean to tease, just saying that the 333 is a good last.

post #68758 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Y View Post

Interesting what you say about the maintenance. I wasn't aware of that. But the FA, Mcallister, and Strand don't have burnishing do they? I can see the Lexington does.
I've never been a fan of Monk Straps. I have a couple pair of blutchers, milkshake suede Leeds being a favorite.
.

All of the bourbons are burnished, black over walnut. AE does not have a regular bourbon color like black, walnut, dark brown, etc.
post #68759 of 70737
Boots and holiday pants. A Merry Christmas indeed!

post #68760 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Y View Post


I'm not a black shoe guy. I have one pair of black Weejuns and an old pair of Johnson Murphy's for when I have to wear a suit. The bourbon Fifth Ave are running near the top for me. I like the Carlyle, but a tad plain with chinos. I have 4 strands so looking to maybe change it up. Mcallisters in the running too.


This is what I was implying a previous post when i said I preferred  the PA over the Carlyle.  On its own the Bourbon Carlyle is HOT, but given your typical work attire, seems a little plain,  IMO, between the 5th Ave, PA and Carlyle, I like the 5th Ave best with chinos. My order of preference (MINUS Strands) is 5th, McAllister, PA, Carlyle.  You asked it the McAllisters would look weird with chinos, my response: not at all. But since you see to be a little Brogue heavy (with 4 pairs of Strands), the 5th Ave sort of bridges the gap with just a touch of broguing.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...