or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 4549  

post #68221 of 70737


The "old" man's shoe today, the Wilbert. Love them, very comfortable.
post #68222 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbj08 View Post
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Hello all!  

 

I have a spreadsheet of all my shoes to help keep track of how much I'm spending (and to compare how much I paid vs. MSRP).  After some recent acquisitions from the Black Friday sale, I was updating my spreadsheet and became quite satisfied with my rotation.  To my eye, there are no longer any gaping holes.  But I wanted to pass it through here and see if anyone had suggestions for certain colors or styles I may be missing out on.

 

**Disclosure:  I am currently not a fan of monk strap or split toe shoes.  This may change in the future (Delrays look quite nice).

 

Black

(1) McAllister

(2) McTavish

(3) Park Avenue

 

Burgundy Shell

(4) Cambridge

(5) Dalton (may sell - too dark)

(6) MacNeil #1 (for dress)

(7) MacNeil #2 (for casual)


Chili

(8) Carlsbad loafer w/ linen

 

Dark Brown / Chocolate Brown

(9) Dalton

(10) Leeds

(11) Strand (may sell)

(12) San Marco

 

Bourbon

(13) Fifth Avenue

(14) Strand

 

Milkshake Suede

(15) Leeds

 

 

Thanks in advance!

 


How about an all weather boot like the First Avenue in brown grain or walnut grain?  Also, AE brown shell cordovan is nice & in-stock.  If you sell your brown calf Strand, the brown cordovan Strand is my favorite AE shoe (though you also have it in Bourbon) or the brown shell Dundee is another nice makeup.

post #68223 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR Magat View Post
 


How about an all weather boot like the First Avenue in brown grain or walnut grain?  Also, AE brown shell cordovan is nice & in-stock.  If you sell your brown calf Strand, the brown cordovan Strand is my favorite AE shoe (though you also have it in Bourbon) or the brown shell Dundee is another nice makeup.

 

Thanks for the suggestions!  We're on the same page, here.

 

I've been attracted to the new brown grain shoes AE has been pushing in their catalogues, and my only foul-weather boots are Bean Boots, so First Avenues with Dainite in the brown grain could kill 2 birds with one stone!

 

And I've had an obsession with the brown shell Strands for quite a while - but hardly worn pairs never seem to come up on the B/S or on eBay (because no one wants to sell them!).  So I think I'm going to have to wait a bit to pull the trigger on any more full-priced shell.

post #68224 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbj08 View Post
 

Hello all!  

 

I have a spreadsheet of all my shoes to help keep track of how much I'm spending (and to compare how much I paid vs. MSRP).  After some recent acquisitions from the Black Friday sale, I was updating my spreadsheet and became quite satisfied with my rotation.  To my eye, there are no longer any gaping holes.  But I wanted to pass it through here and see if anyone had suggestions for certain colors or styles I may be missing out on.

 

**Disclosure:  I am currently not a fan of monk strap or split toe shoes.  This may change in the future (Delrays look quite nice).


B

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

lack

(1) McAllister

(2) McTavish

(3) Park Avenue

 

Burgundy Shell

(4) Cambridge

(5) Dalton (may sell - too dark)

(6) MacNeil #1 (for dress)

(7) MacNeil #2 (for casual)


Chili

(8) Carlsbad loafer w/ linen

 

Dark Brown / Chocolate Brown

(9) Dalton

(10) Leeds

(11) Strand (may sell)

(12) San Marco

 

Bourbon

(13) Fifth Avenue

(14) Strand

 

Milkshake Suede

(15) Leeds

 

 

Thanks in advance!

 

 

You're missing a suede Chukka. Either the Dundee 2.0 in snuff or loden would be a good choice. However, I prefer my suede chukkas on dainite so you might have to go outside of AE if you want to go that route.

 

If not a suede chukka, maybe a suede loafer. 

post #68225 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWTeal View Post
 

 

You're missing a suede Chukka. Either the Dundee 2.0 in snuff or loden would be a good choice. However, I prefer my suede chukkas on dainite so you might have to go outside of AE if you want to go that route.

 

If not a suede chukka, maybe a suede loafer. 

 

I've only recently gotten into suede, so I appreciate the suggestions!  Any thoughts on suede colors for loafers?  

 

In fact, the other half only yesterday suggested the Cavanaugh in suede, particularly in navy.  

post #68226 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna75 View Post

Terrific looking...for some reason I have not gotten to the point of wearing a loafer with socks...one day I will have to bite the bullet and just do it
Me too! I don't know how to wear loafers with socks!
Edited by watchidiot - 12/10/15 at 1:14pm
post #68227 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet-stream View Post


Short question, long answer:

65-lasted strands: 11D. Have never been happy with the fit, my smallest two toes have always been cramped in both directions. However, 11.5D is too loose.

65-lasted Rush Streets: 11.5D. Love the fit. Not too loose, though close.

I'm an 11D in everything else and have been happy with that size. 333 was initially snug but has broken in perfectly (the buttery leather of the independence line probably helps), 201 is good, and everything on the 108 has fit perfectly. I have more room than I need above my foot in the toebox in the 65 and 201 lasts (there is space between the top of my foot and the shoe), while the 333 and 108 are "flatter" and have less excess material.

I really like the Cornwallis look but 11D is too snug and 11.5d is just a bit too loose. If 11E does not work I will have to pass, I think. FWIW, the 1943-lasted shoes I have seen are a bit narrower at the widest part of the shoe than either the 65 or 333, and then taper more sharply toward the tip, which is shorter than those other lasts. Based on my experience, if a 65 is borderline too short and/or too narrow for your two smallest toes, I would guess that the same size will not work in the 1943.
Hope this helps!


Thank you! That does help. 

post #68228 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by feeble View Post

@mcbeck congrats, I'm in the same boat and just bought the same shoe. Park Avenue in burnished brown. Had to take advantage of the student offer smile.gif.



The AE sales rep talked me into buying the following: waterproofing (but I read that was only for mok and suede shoes, it makes calfskin leather peel or causes discoloration?), a horsehair brush, conditioner and dark brown polish. I was going to sit down this weekend figure out what I'm supposed to do. Hopefully I don't ruin anything.



I also bought a pair of Badlands in brown and the La Merche in terra Dallas. I have no idea what sort of polish I'm supposed to use on terra Dallas.



I hesitate to turn this into a shoe care thread since there is one already, just wanted to let you know you aren't the only new person in the AE club smile.gif.

 



Thank you!

I was also able to find and Ask and Answer thing on the Allen Edmonds site about care of their shoes. The Allen Edmonds support person pretty much gave the same advice on their brown burnished shoes as your AE sales rep. http://www.allenedmonds.com/gifts/gifts-by-price/gifts-under-50-2/premium-shoe-polish/SF549.html?dwvar_SF549_color=514#start=1 (just did a word search for "burnished" and found a few that applied.

And I apologize to the thread for bringing up shoe care in this thread! I overlooked that message thread ... and for some reason, I can't do searches of the forum (either on my desktop computer or through Tapatalk with my iPad or Android phone).
post #68229 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post


He's a gastroenterologist so he has good reason smile.gif

It's only temporary, thank God. Though by tomorrow I'll be practically detoxed, so may as well try to stay clean...


Ha!  When I see mine, I drain the last of a 20 oz coffee and toss the cup.  Nurse takes my BP 118/78.  My Hepatologist asks,  "How are you feeling?"  I say, "Great but I'm drinking a lot of coffee." He shrugs and says, "You can have all the coffee you want."  I have 3 or 4 of those 20oz every day.

post #68230 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Bum View Post

Hey look, the Wolverine 1000 Mile 744 Cordovan Boots I was posting questions about here 1+ months ago are showing up on Ebay.  



 



http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Wolverine-1000-Mile-744-LTD-SHELL-CORDOVAN-Boots-13-D-Brown-Leather-RARE-/181946654677?hash=item2a5cdd9fd5:g:f5sAAOSwnH1WYOxh



 



Thanks a lot a$$hole. I went back in to Nordstrom Rack to buy those for actual use and they were surprisingly gone...just so you could try and profit by $150.  Hope your business goes bankrupt and you have no one to love on Xmas. I'm going to troll this guy on Ebay. Bah Humbug.


 



That sucks, but I'm pretty sure Nordstrom Rack does returns. If they do, you should have grabbed them. For things like that, the time to buy them is when you see them...

FWIW, for that money I'd buy Alden Shell...
post #68231 of 70737
I decided to keep them today. Breaking in quite nicely actually. The lace holes seem to work a bit better too now without scratching the laces too much. I have no idea how you guys sanded them though. I gave that up after trying it on two of them and starting to scratch the leather without much effect otherwise.



I'll need to get rid of the bit of black though. No idea what that is. The leather looks a bit strange in that place too.

Now for a question: Would you wax polish these ever? If so, where? The whole wing? Front part only?
post #68232 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by tharkun View Post

I decided to keep them today. Breaking in quite nicely actually. The lace holes seem to work a bit better too now without scratching the laces too much. I have no idea how you guys sanded them though. I gave that up after trying it on two of them and starting to scratch the leather without much effect otherwise.



I'll need to get rid of the bit of black though. No idea what that is. The leather looks a bit strange in that place too.

Now for a question: Would you wax polish these ever? If so, where? The whole wing? Front part only?

I have the Freiburg in that color and I thinking of going with burgundy or oxblood polish. But that's because I want to get even closer to red. I might try little black in few spots every so often to maintain the burnishing.
post #68233 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohneokc View Post

Maiden voyage of the new Clark Streets - very comfortable from the start.

Sorry, not a coffee drinker, so no coffee mug in the shot


Which color are these? I like them.
They look more "golden" than my natural CXL pair, but not nearly as dark as my brown pair.
post #68234 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreams99 View Post

Which color are these? I like them.
They look more "golden" than my natural CXL pair, but not nearly as dark as my brown pair.

The box says "brown". All I used was some AE Leather Lotion and buffed them.

Chris
post #68235 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWTeal View Post

You're missing a suede Chukka. Either the Dundee 2.0 in snuff or loden would be a good choice. However, I prefer my suede chukkas on dainite so you might have to go outside of AE if you want to go that route.
.... 

That's what I finally ended up doing. The Loake 1800 "Kemper," or the slightly darker rebranded by Herring version, has Dainite and a flat welt. Even with duties the price is about the same. A pretty versitile shoe and a tad more formal than the Dundee.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...