or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 4544  

post #68146 of 70737
What conditioner/lotion would you say will darken color? I am looking to darken a pair, but Bick 4 and AE cleaner/conditioner won't do it.

I also have some Lexol sitting around for furniture, but haven't tried it on shoes.
post #68147 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count de Monet View Post
 

 

The brown punch is a great shoe and if you end up with an FA in dark brown, it will be very versatile.  (Having said that, if the punch cap were paired with a really tweedy jacket and thick cavalry twills, etc., that might be a bridge too far for me.)

 

As for me, I likely regard most LWB's as little more formal on the food chain than you. 

 

I agree completely about a punch cap with tweed (unless it was walnut). I'm certainly a little more formal with my perspective. I tend to see anything not plain toe or black as acceptable with dressier OD/OT combos like those I usually wear and do so. I don't think LWB in dark brown are out of the question for it, just not what I'm used to. However, I generally wear full brogued or burgundy loafers with my tweeds (only 2... I do live in Mississippi after all), so I could definitely work in the McGreggors with my tweed and corduroy jackets, and I honestly wasn't thinking about them. You may have just talked me into grabbing a pair. We'll see. Problem is, I also have this 40% off one item coupon at BB. Though I'm not a fan of the poron insole, a brown pair of strands with the tap-sole are tempting for ~260. 

post #68148 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabru View Post


Thanks guys, pants are BB Red Fleece

Thanks for the info, and - sigh - @Kahuna75 is right; I won't be fitting in those skinny size pants.
post #68149 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabru View Post


Thanks guys, pants are BB Red Fleece
Are they the herringbone chinos?
post #68150 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc808314 View Post

What conditioner/lotion would you say will darken color? I am looking to darken a pair, but Bick 4 and AE cleaner/conditioner won't do it.

I also have some Lexol sitting around for furniture, but haven't tried it on shoes.
If you want to darken your shoes, try a shoe polish cream in a darker color.
post #68151 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace13x View Post


 
Are those on the 809 or the B34 last?  I've found info on the AE website that says both.  I tried on a pair at a BCF that fit PERFECT.  No price on them, so I asked.  They called a manager who took them into the back and after a full half hour came back with $159.99.   I felt like he just made that number up, so I passed on principle.  They're really nice, but I'm happy with my Dundee's for now.

809, I believe.
post #68152 of 70737

Does anyone know what kind of leather the saddle part of these shoes is?  

For those who might be wondering, they have black Vibram soles in a crosshatched pattern with an "AE" in a circle in the center of the sole and only say "The hand crafted world of Allen-Edmonds Made in USA" inside, with no model name.

post #68153 of 70737
I think the folks at BCF might be getting wise to the value of their AE shoes. I stopped by a local store a few days ago, found a pair of 'Legend' golf shoes for $35, and flipped them for a small profit. I thought, that was fun, let's try it again. There were a few more pairs of AEs on the clearance rack today, but instead of $34.99, they were red tagged at $69.99. Now, that's still an incredible value if you're going to wear them but it pretty much takes away the necessary margin for flipping censored.gif

I had another thought while perusing the shelves: between Shoe Bank, BCF, B&S, etc., you can score a wide variety of styles for $150 or less. That's about the same (or less) than you'll pay for a recrafting. Factor in the resale value of even a well used pair of AEs and it can be less expensive to buy a new pair than recraft something already in your rotation. Now, this line of thinking obviously doesn't apply to shell, SMUs, etc. but for run of the mill stuff, AEs can be more 'disposable' than I previously considered. I have a few core pairs that I'll keep as long as possible but the lesser worn pairs will find themselves on the bubble come recraft time.
post #68154 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roycru View Post
 

Does anyone know what kind of leather the saddle part of these shoes is?  

For those who might be wondering, they have black Vibram soles in a crosshatched pattern with an "AE" in a circle in the center of the sole and only say "The hand crafted world of Allen-Edmonds Made in USA" inside, with no model name.


That is sharkskin, my friend.  

post #68155 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster Brown View Post

I think the folks at BCF might be getting wise to the value of their AE shoes. I stopped by a local store a few days ago, found a pair of 'Legend' golf shoes for $35, and flipped them for a small profit. I thought, that was fun, let's try it again. There were a few more pairs of AEs on the clearance rack today, but instead of $34.99, they were red tagged at $69.99. Now, that's still an incredible value if you're going to wear them but it pretty much takes away the necessary margin for flipping censored.gif

I had another thought while perusing the shelves: between Shoe Bank, BCF, B&S, etc., you can score a wide variety of styles for $150 or less. That's about the same (or less) than you'll pay for a recrafting. Factor in the resale value of even a well used pair of AEs and it can be less expensive to buy a new pair than recraft something already in your rotation. Now, this line of thinking obviously doesn't apply to shell, SMUs, etc. but for run of the mill stuff, AEs can be more 'disposable' than I previously considered. I have a few core pairs that I'll keep as long as possible but the lesser worn pairs will find themselves on the bubble come recraft time.

 

My experience has been up and down at BCF.  Mostly down, because they tend not to have stuff in my size, but their pricing seems to be all over the place.  Generally, I find AE at either $89.99 or $99.99.  Mix of first and seconds.  The other somewhat common prices are $114.99 and $139.99.  I don't think I've seen anything more than $139.99 other than the Gobi's I mentioned in reply to Newberry.  I did score Spiaggia's for $44.99 and Katmai's for $59.99 (Katmai at MJM which is owned by BCF).  The latter is partly the reason for passing on the Gobi's.  The Katmai's had been $115, but I stopped in a week later and they were marked down.  

 

If I golfed or new anything about golf shoes, I probably passed by some bargains since I run across quite a few of them.

 

As a side note I also found 5 pairs of Oxblood Daltons for tiny feet.  I think it was 3 pair 5.5EEE and 2 either 5EEE or 6EEE.  I didn't think they made them that small, but thats how they were marked.  I think they were $140 or $115.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newberry View Post


Found these AE Gobi chukkas my size in snuff suede at The Rack for $150. Good deal or no? What do the AE experts think?

 

 

I think that is good, especially if the last works for you.  The pair I tried were super comfortable.  I don't want anyone to misconstrue my remarks on passing on the pair I saw for $160 as thinking it was a bad deal.  I just didn't like what I felt was a somewhat arbitrary price by the manager.  


Edited by ace13x - 12/9/15 at 1:18am
post #68156 of 70737

Curious if anyone who owns the cornwallis can tell me how they size compared to the 65?

post #68157 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count de Monet View Post
 

 

So, I don't guess I've ever seen a flat welt, single sole LWB in the wild either.

see larchmont

post #68158 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace13x View Post
 


 

Are those on the 809 or the B34 last?  I've found info on the AE website that says both.  I tried on a pair at a BCF that fit PERFECT.  No price on them, so I asked.  They called a manager who took them into the back and after a full half hour came back with $159.99.   I felt like he just made that number up, so I passed on principle.  They're really nice, but I'm happy with my Dundee's for now.


The Gobis at BCFs here on the eastern seaboard never ran for more than $139.00. I saw them as low as $99 until they removed them from stock across the board here in NYC about four months ago. That manager DID pull that price out of his keister, which is unfortunate. My guess is that the pair you found was a leftover and they had no AE reference save for their boot SKUs and just gave you one of those to be expedient. (That said, $139.00 is the MAX I've ever seen pricing for AEs at BCF—I spent $139.00 for my Bleecker Streets and Shaker Heights', but I got my black calf Haights for $99 as I did my Mojaves a month or so ago.)

post #68159 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterellington View Post
 


The Gobis at BCFs here on the eastern seaboard never ran for more than $139.00. I saw them as low as $99 until they removed them from stock across the board here in NYC about four months ago. That manager DID pull that price out of his keister, which is unfortunate. My guess is that the pair you found was a leftover and they had no AE reference save for their boot SKUs and just gave you one of those to be expedient. (That said, $139.00 is the MAX I've ever seen pricing for AEs at BCF—I spent $139.00 for my Bleecker Streets and Shaker Heights', but I got my black calf Haights for $99 as I did my Mojaves a month or so ago.)


Yes, I posted a follow up on that.  Again, not that $160 is a bad price, they had no seconds mark (do they second mark the dainite soles?) and I didn't notice any flaws.  My guess is they'll languish there for a long while.

post #68160 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace13x View Post
 


Yes, I posted a follow up on that.  Again, not that $160 is a bad price, they had no seconds mark (do they second mark the dainite soles?) and I didn't notice any flaws.  My guess is they'll languish there for a long while.


Yeah, they'll mark the Dainites. And $160.00 is an excellent price as long as the issue making it a second isn't something egregiously visible. Crazy part here in NYC is that the process vary from BCF to BCF. I've seen the same shoe range in price by forty dollars.

 

And I have a sneaking suspicion that Buster Brown is right about the buyers there getting hip to what's rolling through there. I've been to those BCFs enough to know what moves and what doesn't, and they've gotta know what the HOT items are on those shoe racks, so I'm guessing they'll up there prices by $20 bucks or so because even that'd be a steal.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...