or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 4532  

post #67966 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dario65 View Post

Those look fantastic. Is that the original color? 

Yes, that is the color since new.
post #67967 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMT1 View Post

Shaker Heights today. I need to break these out more, I always seem to forget how ridiculously comfortable they are.
  Warning: Super-Rad Boots (Click to show)




Happy Wednesday, all.

 

Whoah, Your Shakers are killer. They're my absolute favorite AE casual makeup of all time. Just gave mine some TLC last night (poor lighting conditions).

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace13x View Post
 


I sure hope so.  Frankly, some of the custom MTO's on this thread go right past good looking straight to simply AMAZING.  Kahuna75's Shaker and Peppercorn78's Natty Dundee's to name just two are masterpieces; and I don't think they would be all that difficult to mass produce and maintain quality.  To each his own, but I'd rather they put effort into designs like those, than the Pine River I posted the other day.

 

My apologies to Kahuna and Peppercorn if AE takes note and your designs become commonplace.  Though few if any will get their natties to look like Peppercorn's.

 

Technically, my Natural Dundees were "stock" items from the Horween/AE trunk shows last year. They were offered in very limited quantities and for a very limited time, though. The problem with making this makeup part of the lineup is that the leather is too scarce for AE to source is large enough quantities to mass produce. The shells used for "Natural" have to be as pristine and perfect as possible (since they don't get dyed, and every minor perfection shows), and there just aren't that many of them around. 

 

But yeah, peruse the MTO thread's history for some of the amazing creative designs from our "golden age," and there are plenty that would make great additions to their lineup. Paul G did confirm that the First Avenue boot was directly inspired by our Eagle County craze.

post #67968 of 70737
Okay, asking this here is a like asking the regulars at a dive bar if I should have another drink, but here goes. I'm thinking about a pair of McTavish in tan and they're in my size on the Shoe Bank at $157. Good but not great (I've been spoiled by some recent purchases). Do I order now or wait for the next Shoe Bank sale? I think there's room for the price to come down further but it's a discontinued model so I could end up relegated to eBay. What say you all?
post #67969 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster Brown View Post

Okay, asking this here is a like asking the regulars at a dive bar if I should have another drink, but here goes. I'm thinking about a pair of McTavish in tan and they're in my size on the Shoe Bank at $157. Good but not great (I've been spoiled by some recent purchases). Do I order now or wait for the next Shoe Bank sale? I think there's room for the price to come down further but it's a discontinued model so I could end up relegated to eBay. What say you all?

Wait for sales. If it doesn't go on sale, then you can pull the trigger.

My 2 cents

Edit. This thread seems awfully quiet as of late. What's going on? Normally I ask a question and it gets answered in 15 mins
post #67970 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7_rocket View Post


Wait for sales. If it doesn't go on sale, then you can pull the trigger.

My 2 cents

Edit. This thread seems awfully quiet as of late. What's going on? Normally I ask a question and it gets answered in 15 mins

 

I don't think discontinued models go on sale.  It's not gonna drop below the $157.

 

If you like it, buy it.

post #67971 of 70737

Wore my walnut Lombards today.  Yes, I know that they don't look very well tied.  One of my fingers isn't working right (until I have the procedure to fix it) so I'm not able to do a proper job of tying my shoes......

post #67972 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster Brown View Post

Okay, asking this here is a like asking the regulars at a dive bar if I should have another drink, but here goes. I'm thinking about a pair of McTavish in tan and they're in my size on the Shoe Bank at $157. Good but not great (I've been spoiled by some recent purchases). Do I order now or wait for the next Shoe Bank sale? I think there's room for the price to come down further but it's a discontinued model so I could end up relegated to eBay. What say you all?

Get 'em. I have them and they're one of my most favorite shoes.

As shoes4play said, I don't think clearance styles go on sale.
post #67973 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster Brown View Post

Okay, asking this here is a like asking the regulars at a dive bar if I should have another drink, but here goes. I'm thinking about a pair of McTavish in tan and they're in my size on the Shoe Bank at $157. Good but not great (I've been spoiled by some recent purchases). Do I order now or wait for the next Shoe Bank sale? I think there's room for the price to come down further but it's a discontinued model so I could end up relegated to eBay. What say you all?

In the past 2 years, the lowest we've seen close out seconds on this kind of shoe is 2/300. So yeah, this is probably as low as she goes.
post #67974 of 70737

A cautionary tale. I was in Burlington Coat today and found a pair of Adams loafers from the Independence collection. $89, so it seemed like a really great deal. I checked in the shoe and one had white lettering on the size and the other was black. One said 8.5D and the other said 9D. Then I noticed that the left was a single oak sole and the other a double oak. Externally, they were identical. It pays to check your shoes before you plop down the cash.

 

PS, no, there was not another pair there that was the exact opposite.

post #67975 of 70737
So my 9 3E Sauk Drive started hurting the pinky toe over the weekend so I ordered some 9.5 3E. The difference is HUGE IMHO. The pinky is more than fine now. I thought I'd post some pics since someone asked for pics on 3E width vs D before. These show what a half size with same width does. My finger points to the top right point of my pinky toe. I think I could have done 9.5 2E but probably not 9.5 E. With wool socks it's going to be fine I'd say.





You can also see the effect that was described a bit earlier with the leather looking weirdly bumpy. The 9.5 are quite smooth and the 9 have a lot of it.

Also the flanks of the boots are much darker than the rest and on the 9.5 left foot it's so dark that it looks like these might be boots made from two different colors. Well, 2nds afterall ...
post #67976 of 70737
Hi everyone. Purchased these few days ago thinking that they are shell cordovan. Contacted AE customer service prior to bidding to check, but they were unable to find a shoe with model number 2183. Apparently, AE has made the Walton in cognac shell cordovan with model number 2193. It is going to be interesting, as I have never purchased a used shoe. Anyways, do you think they are shell cordovan? Thank you

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Allen-Edmonds-8-5-D-Mens-Brown-Leather-Split-Toe-Oxfords-Dress-Casual-Shoes-/121822040654?redirect=mobile&nma=true&si=OFHjjK22SPuehXOQrJ9wPp2Ashk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
post #67977 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc808314 View Post

Hi everyone. Purchased these few days ago thinking that they are shell cordovan. Contacted AE customer service prior to bidding to check, but they were unable to find a shoe with model number 2183. Apparently, AE has made the Walton in cognac shell cordovan with model number 2193. It is going to be interesting, as I have never purchased a used shoe. Anyways, do you think they are shell cordovan? Thank you

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Allen-Edmonds-8-5-D-Mens-Brown-Leather-Split-Toe-Oxfords-Dress-Casual-Shoes-/121822040654?redirect=mobile&nma=true&si=OFHjjK22SPuehXOQrJ9wPp2Ashk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I'd say shell. First, rolls versus microcreasing and second, the split leather/rubber sole which is typically applied only to shell models.
post #67978 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by tharkun View Post

So my 9 3E Sauk Drive started hurting the pinky toe over the weekend so I ordered some 9.5 3E. The difference is HUGE IMHO. The pinky is more than fine now. I thought I'd post some pics since someone asked for pics on 3E width vs D before. These show what a half size with same width does. My finger points to the top right point of my pinky toe. I think I could have done 9.5 2E but probably not 9.5 E. With wool socks it's going to be fine I'd say.





You can also see the effect that was described a bit earlier with the leather looking weirdly bumpy. The 9.5 are quite smooth and the 9 have a lot of it.

Also the flanks of the boots are much darker than the rest and on the 9.5 left foot it's so dark that it looks like these might be boots made from two different colors. Well, 2nds afterall ...

Interesting difference on the leather. My seconds were pretty rough (dry feeling, 'raised' wrinkles). I figured that wasn't what they were going for and your pics confirm as much.
post #67979 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoes4play View Post

I don't think discontinued models go on sale.  It's not gonna drop below the $157.

If you like it, buy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aero25 View Post

Get 'em. I have them and they're one of my most favorite shoes.

As shoes4play said, I don't think clearance styles go on sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post

In the past 2 years, the lowest we've seen close out seconds on this kind of shoe is 2/300. So yeah, this is probably as low as she goes.

Thanks guys. I'll call the outlet tomorrow morning. cheers.gif
post #67980 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster Brown View Post




Thanks guys. I'll call the outlet tomorrow morning. cheers.gif


Good idea. I have them in natural tan but they darkened considerably and I really need a smaller size (but the tongue pads help). I've had my eye on a second pair (this time in the proper size) for a long time now and I've never seen them below $157.00. Get them while you can!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...