or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 4530  

post #67936 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlettsl View Post

I hate to do this but I really need to know. Can someone provide quick details or products used and application on how you maintain the leather on your AE's. Looking to provide a medium level and high gloss shine. Thanks....


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See the shoe care thread for complete details. My method is as follows:

- Wipe/brush shoe clean.
- Apply coat of conditioner or cream to entire shoe. I use the colored AE tubes or neutral leather lotion depending on the effect I'm looking for.
- Apply multiple thin layers of paste wax to the toe and heel. I splash a couple drops of water on the area I'm working and use a small, circular pattern with a slightly damp cloth.
- Buff with flannel shoe bag.
- Apply edge dressing as needed.

Everyone has their own system, you really just need to get your hands dirty and find what works for you.
post #67937 of 70737
What are some of your favorite pant colors to pair with bourbon? I have 2 pairs in this color (Mora 2.0 cap toe double monk and Portland split toe boot). There are plenty of things I can pair them with but I often find myself reaching for something else that seems to work better. What does bourbon really pop or look best with?
post #67938 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster Brown View Post

What are some of your favorite pant colors to pair with bourbon? I have 2 pairs in this color (Mora 2.0 cap toe double monk and Portland split toe boot). There are plenty of things I can pair them with but I often find myself reaching for something else that seems to work better. What does bourbon really pop or look best with?

Light to mid grey. Mid blue (not navy).

smile.gif
post #67939 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster Brown View Post




I'm not quite sure what to make of these. On one hand, I love the pull-up effects in Dublin leather and you certainly get a lot of it here. On the other hand, these are finished more like a dress shoe: black edge dressing, eyelets, and laces. From the pics on AE's website I thought they might be able to pull double duty with slacks and chinos/cords. IRL, the leather is much too casual for slacks. I think the leather works better on the Sauk Drive where it's complemented by the broguing and lug sole. If I do keep these, I think they'll need some casual enhancements like lighter edge dressing and laces.

 

I haven't noticed the "raised wrinkles" on other Sauk Drive seconds posted here, not across the board anyway.  E.g. look at Dario65's pics from about 9 pages (4-5 days) back.  I think he identifies them as from the Show Bank, yet they appear as smooth across the vamp as my son's Dublin LB's from the GNTO posted above.  They look fantastic.  Therefore, I tend to think this isn't some intended effect but instead just some poor pieces of leather they used.

 

Regarding Dublin, the "pull up" effect I love.  Ditto the variation in color (it's part of its charm).  But the raised wrinkle effect blows the deal for me, even for a rough and tumble boot.  I can imagine every person looking at them thinking, "is it SUPPOSED to look like that?"

 

Regarding your comments about the odd mix of formal and informal characteristics, I hear you.  AE drives me nuts that way.  If I were in charge of tweaking AE's boot lineup, I probably wouldn't have configured the Sauk Drive the way they did with its thick Vibram sole (like the LB used to have) but with a flat welt and no speed hooks.  Instead, I might have kept the flat welt and lack of hooks, but used a mini lug sole.  Then I would restore the larger "yellow dot" Vibram sole to the LB's.  That way, it would be a progression in formality from Dalton to SD to LB.  And I'd offer the CXL and Dublin leathers in both the SD and LB.

 

And while I'm at it :), I think I would offer an alternative to the suede Dundee with (i) a little sleeker last, (ii) a flat welt, and (iii) a bit darker brown, but with a Danite sole.  I think it would be a great F/W sport coat and tie sort of shoe.


Edited by Count de Monet - 12/2/15 at 12:32pm
post #67940 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlettsl View Post

I hate to do this but I really need to know. Can someone provide quick details or products used and application on how you maintain the leather on your AE's. Looking to provide a medium level and high gloss shine. Thanks....


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPhqQEdhtxI

How I learned. Although I don't wait 24 hours to apply the last polish
post #67941 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster Brown View Post

What are some of your favorite pant colors to pair with bourbon? I have 2 pairs in this color (Mora 2.0 cap toe double monk and Portland split toe boot). There are plenty of things I can pair them with but I often find myself reaching for something else that seems to work better. What does bourbon really pop or look best with?

Light to mid grey. Mid blue (not navy).

smile.gif

and for the first time I paired them with some blue jeans(heathered...which I think is white flecks showing through but I have no idea...lol) and I thought they went rather well. 

 

Pepper do you think the bourbon would go with a lighter tan almost sand color?

post #67942 of 70737

This is what AE needs to do on the B34 last 

 

And this on the B34 with a captoe 

 

post #67943 of 70737

When a loafer gaps while walking (at the point when your weight is on the heel of the shoe), does this mean that the loafer doesn't fit right?  Is it too long, too wide, just overall not right?  I find that many loafers I try have gapping, even when the loafer feels like it fits.  Any insight would be appreciated.  Thanks!

post #67944 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna75 View Post

This is what AE needs to do on the B34 last 



And this on the B34 with a captoe 



Nice! What are the makers/models of those?
post #67945 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosy View Post
 

When a loafer gaps while walking (at the point when your weight is on the heel of the shoe), does this mean that the loafer doesn't fit right?  Is it too long, too wide, just overall not right?  I find that many loafers I try have gapping, even when the loafer feels like it fits.  Any insight would be appreciated.  Thanks!

 

often just a product of the pattern used not fitting you. For example AE 555 last I tried virtually every size they have a size up and down and just could not make it work fit wise but some sizes had no side gap...The Addison I have used to fit perfect and would have some of that side gap...My Randolph has no side gap fits perfect. Sebago and Sperry fit my like a glove with no side gap at all

post #67946 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster Brown View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna75 View Post

This is what AE needs to do on the B34 last 



And this on the B34 with a captoe 


Nice! What are the makers/models of those?

 

The shoe is a Viberg that is not in production at the moment and the bottom is my AE MTO shaker height... I love the Shaker pattern and it would be amazing on the B34..that is one thing that other makers do that I wish AE would and that is take some boot patterns and make them on different lasts...The old Portland for example would be killer on 201 last. I was also going to do the Shaker in Neumok Blue leather and blue suede on the shaft too but the program got the heeve Ho....

post #67947 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna75 View Post
 

 

Nah ...often just a product of the pattern used not fitting you. For example AE 555 last I tried virtually every size they have a size up and down and just could not make it work fit wise but some sizes had no side gap...The Addison I have used to fit perfect and would have some of that side gap...My Randolph has no side gap fits perfect. Sebago and Sperry fit my like a glove with no side gap at all

Thanks  To clarify, I'm referring to gapping that occurs only when applying my weight to my heel (like when I'm walking).  When standing still, there is no gapping at all.  That's why I feel like the shoe technically fits, but if it fit properly, why would it be gapping when walking?

post #67948 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna75 View Post

The shoe is a Viberg that is not in production at the moment and the bottom is my AE MTO shaker height... I love the Shaker pattern and it would be amazing on the B34..that is one thing that other makers do that I wish AE would and that is take some boot patterns and make them on different lasts...The old Portland for example would be killer on 201 last. I was also going to do the Shaker in Neumok Blue leather and blue suede on the shaft too but the program got the heeve Ho....

Your MTO Shaker is wonderful. I also liked what folks were doing with the Eagle County/River. I wish they'd draw inspiration (or even straight-up copy) some designs from the MTO thread for 'webgems' and other one-offs.
post #67949 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster Brown View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna75 View Post

The shoe is a Viberg that is not in production at the moment and the bottom is my AE MTO shaker height... I love the Shaker pattern and it would be amazing on the B34..that is one thing that other makers do that I wish AE would and that is take some boot patterns and make them on different lasts...The old Portland for example would be killer on 201 last. I was also going to do the Shaker in Neumok Blue leather and blue suede on the shaft too but the program got the heeve Ho....

Your MTO Shaker is wonderful. I also liked what folks were doing with the Eagle County/River. I wish they'd draw inspiration (or even straight-up copy) some designs from the MTO thread for 'webgems' and other one-offs.

Thanks it is one of my favorites. I agree some stellar make ups were done with the MTO program and some folks took boots and shoes that I never liked and made them into must haves.

Here is my MTO Eagle...I know two tone is not for everyone but I love it

 

post #67950 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna75 View Post

Thanks it is one of my favorites. I agree some stellar make ups were done with the MTO program and some folks took boots and shoes that I never liked and made them into must haves.
Here is my MTO Eagle...I know two tone is not for everyone but I love it





The two tones (especially those with suede) were some of my favorites. Someone called them 'poor man's Galways' and I think that's about right - especially at the prices you guys were getting! My bank account is glad I missed out on all the fun.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...