I wouldn't have either, but I wouldn't wear a black loafer this sleek enough to justify spending the money. AE is definitely a better bang for your buck and with the condition those uppers look to be in, they will probably come back looking brand spanking new.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAllen Edmondstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Malvern Boottagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Wilbert Lace-Uptagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryBootstagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShell Cordovantagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Murlsquirl, 4/3/15
Related Forum Threads
- The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread Last post on 1/2/17 at 4:34pm in Classic Menswear
- Size 9 Shoes: Grenson Tassel Loafers and Tommy Hilfiger Oxford Boots Last post on 11/27/11 at 5:58pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on Today at 5:04 pm in Classic Menswear
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E $2,200 Last post on 9/13/15 at 2:32am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
Last edited: 2/9/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Allen Edmond Park Avenue sizingLast edited: 1/27/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOsLast edited: 5/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 4463post #66931 of 7073711/10/15 at 1:40pmpost #66932 of 7073711/10/15 at 1:43pmpost #66933 of 7073711/10/15 at 1:47pmQuote:Originally Posted by middlepP
Good advice all around, @concrtejngle
! Initially, I think versatility is THE key. Look for those shoes that can go with many colors and levels of formality. A dressy blucher or casual balmoral are good example. My chili Bleecker Streets and bourbon Kennilsworth saw a lot of action as I built my collection.
I agree with others about dark brown over walnut (& black). I would also consider the dark/burnished/Bob's chili. In many shoes, I feel that this is my most versatile color.
All great advice. My very first AE shoes were dark brown kenilworth, I wore them alot
My current line up is
I know many will say that stands in walnut isn't the most versatile color and I do agree. Since I've been polishing them for a while now and they got darker they look much better than the "tan" that it was once.
It's more light brown. I'll say the chili looks badass, I'd love to pick up oxblood next
I once had black fifth ave. Looked like all the 50 year old bankers downtown (no offense)post #66934 of 7073711/10/15 at 1:54pm
Thanks for the info. I was wondering if they would do that as well. I am actually contemplating whether to look for a pair of bridgetons or not. However, I'm kinda in need of something black for inclement weather, so I'm considering something less expensive from a rival that has a synthetic sole.post #66935 of 7073711/10/15 at 1:55pmpost #66936 of 7073711/10/15 at 2:04pm
Recently ordered two pairs of seconds (First Ave and Park Ave). Had a question about the heel stitching on the boots -- in general would you think this is just cosmetic or could it lead to the boot deteriorating much more quickly than normal?
The park ave's I think there is a stronger case for keeping as the only issue I see is this warping on one of the sides which is only visible at certain angles.post #66937 of 7073711/10/15 at 2:07pmpost #66938 of 7073711/10/15 at 2:13pmpost #66939 of 7073711/10/15 at 2:16pmQuote:Originally Posted by shoelover
Quote:Originally Posted by smfdoc
The local cobbler will simply sew a new leather sole on the existing welt and put on a new heel. The recrafting at AE will replace the welt, scrape out the existing cork with the foot impression of the previous owner, insert a new hot cork layer, replace the sole and heel, remove the old finish and refinish to the original color. All of that for $125 is better than "the local guy."
I heard that the redraft will replace the tassels as well. Can you confirm that?
I do not know that answer. They replace laces, but you would have to ask AE about tassels. Go to this URL for a nice overview video of the recraft service. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cT5VJmmgVM&feature=youtu.bepost #66940 of 7073711/10/15 at 2:20pmpost #66941 of 7073711/10/15 at 2:27pmpost #66942 of 7073711/10/15 at 2:42pmQuote:Originally Posted by n0style
Recently ordered two pairs of seconds (First Ave and Park Ave). Had a question about the heel stitching on the boots -- in general would you think this is just cosmetic or could it lead to the boot deteriorating much more quickly than normal?Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
As rocket indicated, I would think this would be only cosmetic.
You have 350° of coverage on the sole left, even if this stitch was doing nothing. Since the stitching deteriorates from the bottom rather than the top, and since this is in the area that never touches the ground, and considering most goodyear welts actually stop at this point rather than going 360° in the first place, I would suggest you have nothing to worry about. I believe this must be a typical tie off point of the stitching because I have at least three pair with some sort of inconsistency at this very spot.post #66943 of 7073711/10/15 at 2:46pmpost #66944 of 7073711/10/15 at 5:43pmpost #66945 of 7073711/10/15 at 5:50pmQuote:
I tried these on today and had to order a pair... They really look great in person.
This thread is locked
- Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread... 36 seconds ago
- › What is the best selvage with similar fit to jcrew 484 with no... 2 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget – Carmina, John Lobb, Enzo Bonafè, Carlos Santos,... 3 minutes ago
- › The Home Ownership Thread 6 minutes ago
- › 2017 50 Book Challenge 7 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, ... 7 minutes ago
- › The Look goes on... 9 minutes ago
- › LEMAIRE 11 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 15 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 19 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...