or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 4449  

post #66721 of 70737

  I do agree with others, the QC of Allen Edmonds seems to be slipping. 

 

  While the customer service is great and the ladies you deal with on the phone are nothing but superb, it is a hassle to repackage and send back a purchase made online.

 

  I'm sure many others have noticed the same thing in the past few years: prices are going up but quality, or better yet quality control, is slipping.

post #66722 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flytrout View Post
 

I have been lucky enough that all of my shoebank purchases have been great. Generally, the defects are hard to find.  I must admit though that I would be ticked if some of my purchases showed up with the defects that have been posted lately.  Pretty bad if you ask me.  

 

I also need some advice.  My current rotation includes Merlot McAllisters, Walnut Strands, Bourbon Randolphs, Dark Chili McGregors, Stafford Deacons (I know, nothing close to the Dalton but for $50 I couldn't really go wrong), black PA's. The oxblood Stands have been calling my name but when I look at my line-up I don't know if another Brogue is the way to go. 

 

I am one of those guys however that wears my Strands and McAllisters with nice chinos and a button down.  Partly because I don't really care that they might be considered too formal for such an outfit-I think it looks great and I feel like a million bucks wearing them.  Also, the environment where I work 99% of my colleagues don't know the difference between a blucher or balmoral so I can get away with pretty much anything.

 

That being said, would another brogue leave to many holes in my rotation (yes, pun intended)?  I've never been a monkstrap guy but everytime I see someone wearing some I find myself stealing a second glance.  So, maybe some Brown Mora 2.0's might be better?

 

What do you guys think?  Any other suggestions on style and color?

 

If you aren't looking for a suit shoe particularly and are rather looking for something comparable to what you are already used to wearing, I say go with what your gut seems to be telling you. The Mora's should work even better with your chino and button up environment. And I would wear a dark brown Mora with a blue suit at least as quick as Merlot McAllisters. I don't have the Mora's, but I do have a much less expensive double monk in dark brown. If they were AE's, I'm sure they would be one of my most worn pair. 

post #66723 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flytrout View Post
 

I have been lucky enough that all of my shoebank purchases have been great. Generally, the defects are hard to find.  I must admit though that I would be ticked if some of my purchases showed up with the defects that have been posted lately.  Pretty bad if you ask me.  

 

I also need some advice.  My current rotation includes Merlot McAllisters, Walnut Strands, Bourbon Randolphs, Dark Chili McGregors, Stafford Deacons (I know, nothing close to the Dalton but for $50 I couldn't really go wrong), black PA's. The oxblood Stands have been calling my name but when I look at my line-up I don't know if another Brogue is the way to go. 

 

I am one of those guys however that wears my Strands and McAllisters with nice chinos and a button down.  Partly because I don't really care that they might be considered too formal for such an outfit-I think it looks great and I feel like a million bucks wearing them.  Also, the environment where I work 99% of my colleagues don't know the difference between a blucher or balmoral so I can get away with pretty much anything.

 

That being said, would another brogue leave to many holes in my rotation (yes, pun intended)?  I've never been a monkstrap guy but everytime I see someone wearing some I find myself stealing a second glance.  So, maybe some Brown Mora 2.0's might be better?

 

What do you guys think?  Any other suggestions on style and color?

 

I certainly wouldn't blame you for adding on an oxblood Strand -- gorgeous shoe, and I've always been a sucker for brogues.  But I agree with keepsake that something like the Conrwallis would certainly add more variety, and tip your collection in the more formal direction.  I personally would go for something like that (something in the wholecut direction) over a monkstrap, but I definitely have been noticing monkstraps catching my eye more often these days, too.

 

For the record, I'm wearing walnut McAllisters with darkwash jeans at work right now, but like you, 99% of my coworkers think "a shoe's a shoe".  In fact, most wear flipflops and shorts to work.  Oh, the software industry.

post #66724 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoelover View Post








How do you guys feel about a balmoral cap toe in suede with chinos or jeans? I just bought this pair by C&J and am wondering about their versatility... Excuse the laces. I have more coming...


I think those would be great with chinos and jeans.
post #66725 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcwells View Post
 

Oh, the software industry.

 

It's not just the software industry anymore. It's the world in general. Last time I was at my bank, one of the VP's passed by me in a printed button up with sail boats, chinos, and some brown sketchers. There was a brief moment where I asked myself, "Can I trust this guy, he looks like a car salesman?" 

post #66726 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by redmusic1 View Post
 

Well let me give some props instead of lamentations. I got my 2nd quality belt and PA's in this morning, both in Merlot. Absolutely nothing wrong with the belt that I can find and the shoes fit better than any others I own. The only "flaw" is that one shoe appears to have a much darker mid quarter than any other part of either shoe (It also looks like someone put a little wax on the toe and vamp of that same shoe) . Someone got over zealous burnishing I guess. This doesn't bother me at all, especially for the price, however I actually like this "odd" quarter's color much more than the rest of the shoe. lol. This means that I will for sure be darkening them over time. I'll post pics after shining them over the next couple of days. 

 

I have several great pairs of shoes from the shoebank but have had to return a few pairs in the past. You're always going to have a greater risk on wingtips as well as burnished type finishes based on my experience. 

post #66727 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by redmusic1 View Post

It's not just the software industry anymore. It's the world in general. Last time I was at my bank, one of the VP's passed by me in a printed button up with sail boats, chinos, and some brown sketchers. There was a brief moment where I asked myself, "Can I trust this guy, he looks like a car salesman?" 
A car salesman on this thread will be upset
post #66728 of 70737
Thanks to all of you who shared your opinion on Rush Street. It is a closeout style on shoebank, so wasn't on sale, but the price was still good. I've got my first pair of cxl shoes on their way to me. I'll post pics when they get to me next week. I'm aparently an addict now. This is my 3rd pair of AE since August!
post #66729 of 70737

Park Avenue sizing question.  Perhaps you guys can share some wisdom or point me to the appropriate thread?

 

I just got a beautiful pair of black PA's in the mail -- truly a classic formal dress shoe -- but the sizing is a bit off.  I'm an 8.5E in four other pairs of 5-last shoes (including McAllister and Strand, which I would think would be pretty comparable), but these are definitely too wide.  I need to send them back for a different pair, but should I size down in width or just ask for another 8.5E?

 

For reference, the shoes seem unevenly wide -- the left one is definitely noticeably wider than the right, so it this just a fluke?

 

Cheers!

post #66730 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by aero25 View Post

Thanks to all of you who shared your opinion on Rush Street. It is a closeout style on shoebank, so wasn't on sale, but the price was still good. I've got my first pair of cxl shoes on their way to me. I'll post pics when they get to me next week. I'm aparently an addict now. This is my 3rd pair of AE since August!

 

Sounds like I'm late to the party, but I love the Rush Streets I got in the mail a couple months ago.  The CXL leather has a beautiful luster in the sunlight. Glad you picked up a pair!

post #66731 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcwells View Post

Sounds like I'm late to the party, but I love the Rush Streets I got in the mail a couple months ago.  The CXL leather has a beautiful luster in the sunlight. Glad you picked up a pair!

Ha, no problem. I was asking for opinions on Rush Street vs Strandmok for chinos and jeans wear. Unanimous support for the Rush Street golden brown cxl.
post #66732 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungSweet View Post

A car salesman on this thread will be upset

Yeah. After I thought about it for a second, I realized how foolish it was to think that a banker was any more likely to be honest than a salesman.

And I guess it's possible a car salesman could know how to dress well. I just haven't seen one in Mississippi.
post #66733 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcwells View Post
 

Park Avenue sizing question.  Perhaps you guys can share some wisdom or point me to the appropriate thread?

 

I just got a beautiful pair of black PA's in the mail -- truly a classic formal dress shoe -- but the sizing is a bit off.  I'm an 8.5E in four other pairs of 5-last shoes (including McAllister and Strand, which I would think would be pretty comparable), but these are definitely too wide.  I need to send them back for a different pair, but should I size down in width or just ask for another 8.5E?

 

For reference, the shoes seem unevenly wide -- the left one is definitely noticeably wider than the right, so it this just a fluke?

 

Cheers!

 

The PA is known to fit the largest of the 65 lasted bals.  Try dropping a width.  If the shoes measure off from eachother significantly, they are defective.  

 

I'm assuming if you own 5 other pair of 65 lasted shoes, than you're feet are fairly equal.  

 

 

If you don't mind returns order another 8.5E and an 8.5D.  Return the other.

post #66734 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoelover View Post
 

These are seconds from shoebank, and so I know that there will be flaws, but these seem kinda bad. Keep or send back?

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

If the question is about if that type of imperfection is acceptable as seconds, I would say yes. That seems like the definition of "a minor cosmetic blemish that does not affect the fit, comfort or durability of our shoes," no?

Now if the question is about living with the blemish or sending the back, only you can really answer that. Personally, I would probably eat the $10 and send them back - though I hope (know?) my SA wouldn't have sent them to me in the first place.

post #66735 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by redmusic1 View Post


And I guess it's possible a car salesman could know how to dress well. I just haven't seen one in Mississippi.

I don't blame most car salesmen for not wearing jackets in our neck of the woods, I couldn't imagine another layer of fabric in the humidity and walking around on asphalt or blacktop.

There is not, in my opinion, any bloody excuse for being sloppy in any profession.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...