just curious, but for those who have ordered from AE shoes not in stock and needing to be made, did you have to wait the full 4-6 weeks as stated on the site?
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAllen Edmondstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Malvern Boottagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Wilbert Lace-Uptagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryBootstagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShell Cordovantagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Murlsquirl, 4/3/15
Related Forum Threads
- The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread Last post on Today at 7:47 pm in Classic Menswear
- Size 9 Shoes: Grenson Tassel Loafers and Tommy Hilfiger Oxford Boots Last post on 11/27/11 at 5:58pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on Today at 6:23 pm in Classic Menswear
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E $2,200 Last post on 9/13/15 at 2:32am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
Last edited: 2/9/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Allen Edmond Park Avenue sizingLast edited: 1/27/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOsLast edited: 5/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 4410post #66137 of 7073710/26/15 at 9:13pmQuote:
The shine on those brogues was probably three layers with my normal method, but not what I would call a mirror shine (they probably looked shinier in the picture than they do in person). However, the only difference would really be slowly adding a few more layers to get to mirror.
I typically follow the above method up to the the adding of wax. I don't use actual water anymore. I use my breath to soften the wax and add moisture, more slowly than with water but also more effectively, at least in my experiences. However one does it, the key to a high shine is getting the first two layers all the way into the grain in order to flatten the shoe's surface as much as possible for future layers. Heat and moisture aid in achieving this goal and my breath does them both well. However, I have admittedly used a lighter on my black FA's to get a faster mirrored shine, but I don't recommend doing that on burnished or light colors. If you want a mirror shine on a burnished or light colored shoe, I don't know any other way to get it than good old patient work. The good news is that as long as something drastic doesn't happen to the shoes, the hard work on the initial layers doesn't really have to be repeated again. After you achieve your goal, just give it a light coat quickly every other time you wear them and much of it can be maintained. (Of course I'm pretty undisciplined at times and often lose a little more shine than I should before getting to them with the polish, which makes for a longer polish day).post #66138 of 7073710/26/15 at 9:18pmQuote:Originally Posted by peppercorn78
Patent leather is really only appropriate for opera pumps or formal tuxedo shoes. Nevertheless, it sounds like that is what you're looking for. AE doesn't currently offer a formal shoe. However, they did a limited webgem run of the Strand in patent leather two years ago. If you call the shoebank, it's possible there may be a few pairs lying around.
There's also the Mayfair. Still some of those at the shoebank.post #66139 of 7073710/26/15 at 9:27pmQuote:
From the RDA sale it was two days short of four weeks when I received my order. None of the stuff I ordered was in stock.post #66140 of 7073710/26/15 at 10:32pmQuote:
The first pair was ready for pick up in 12 days. The second pair, which I ordered a week later, is not ready yet after 10 days. I was told 4 weeks for both.post #66141 of 7073710/26/15 at 10:35pmAnyone have any informaion on the AE Richmond longwing? I have not been able to find much other than it was on the 7-last. Anyone know when it was produced or discontinued? I found a nice deal on a burgundy pair that may need recrafting.
Thank you.post #66142 of 7073710/27/15 at 4:55ampost #66143 of 7073710/27/15 at 7:05ampost #66144 of 7073710/27/15 at 7:34ampost #66145 of 7073710/27/15 at 7:43amQuote:Originally Posted by shoelover
1. My first attempt at sanding and "antiquing" the edge dressing. Not perfect, but it kinda gives them a vintage "worn" look in my opinion.
2. Cleaned with Renomat and conditioned with Renovateur.
3. Used AE walnut creme polish on the whole shoe.
4. Used AE burgundy creme polish on the toes and heels. Didn't show up as much as I would've liked, but there is a subtle shade variation.
5. 3 coats of Kiwi neutral wax polish.
Any opinions? What did I do right? What could I have done better?
I like it. Looks like it toned down the yellow hues just slightly.
Correct me if I'm wrong but did it take care of some staining issues as well? Was that the renomat?
Question is: are you happy with the results?post #66146 of 7073710/27/15 at 7:46amQuote:Originally Posted by redmusic1
I use my breath to soften the wax and add moisture, more slowly than with water but also more effectively, at least in my experiences. However one does it, the key to a high shine is getting the first two layers all the way into the grain in order to flatten the shoe's surface as much as possible for future layers. Heat and moisture aid in achieving this goal and my breath does them both well. However, I have admittedly used a lighter on my black FA's to get a faster mirrored shine, but I don't recommend doing that on burnished or light colors.
I've been known to use my wife's hairdryer on duty boots to get the wax to soften, but again I don't think I'd do this on anything but black.post #66147 of 7073710/27/15 at 7:52amQuote:
Yes, the renomat took the stains off with almost no effort. I am happy enough. I had wanted to antique or patina the shoes, but didn't know what I was doing. Need to study up and try again later, but for now, I think the results are pretty good.post #66148 of 7073710/27/15 at 8:22ampost #66149 of 7073710/27/15 at 8:29ampost #66150 of 7073710/27/15 at 8:57am
This thread is locked
- Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
- › Allen Edmonds MacNeil Burgundy Shell Cordovan US8.5E 1 minute ago
- › RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine 3 minutes ago
- › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here... 5 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 5 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 6 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 10 minutes ago
- › J FitzPatrick Appreciation Thread 10 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 13 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice,... 29 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing,... 32 minutes ago
- › Men’s The Original 3” Boxerjock® Boxer Briefs... by Alper
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...