or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 4396  

post #65926 of 70737

Ok, my first ever Allen Edmonds arrived the other day and I pulled them out of the box and tried them on tonight. A little walking around the house and looking at them. Since I've never had AE shoes before, I'm not really sure what to expect. I understand they are hand-made, so I'm hoping you guys can tell me if these are design 'features' -- slight imperfections that result in the handmade nature of the shoe. Or if they are flaws.

 

Any advice you guys can provide would be helpful. These are the MacNeil 2.0 in Walnut, if you care.

 

First, the right shoe seems to have way more creasing than the left shoe. I am right footed, so maybe it is just the way I walk. But it is odd that there is such a difference.

 

 

 

Second issue is on some of the stitching. It seems like the threads are left long, and the leather is not as flush on the left shoe as it is on the right shoe.

post #65927 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by velomatt View Post
 

Ok, my first ever Allen Edmonds arrived the other day and I pulled them out of the box and tried them on tonight. A little walking around the house and looking at them. Since I've never had AE shoes before, I'm not really sure what to expect. I understand they are hand-made, so I'm hoping you guys can tell me if these are design 'features' -- slight imperfections that result in the handmade nature of the shoe. Or if they are flaws.

 

Any advice you guys can provide would be helpful. These are the MacNeil 2.0 in Walnut, if you care.

 

First, the right shoe seems to have way more creasing than the left shoe. I am right footed, so maybe it is just the way I walk. But it is odd that there is such a difference.

 

 

 

Second issue is on some of the stitching. It seems like the threads are left long, and the leather is not as flush on the left shoe as it is on the right shoe.

 

Are these firsts (bought through AE directly) or seconds (bought through AE's shoebank)?

post #65928 of 70737

Honestly, I think all of that is OK.  I just went through that on a pair of Alden WT boots (wrinkles in the leather out of the box).  Then I realized I would have that same creasing after a couple wears, so I put a good coat of wax on them and went ahead.  The stitching (if I'm seeing it right) is easily tidied up.  Unless it isn't a finished box, in which case I'd call their customer service (and take more/better pix).

 

Otherwise, condition them, wax them and enjoy.

post #65929 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheJox View Post
 

 

Are these firsts (bought through AE directly) or seconds (bought through AE's shoebank)?

 

These are firsts, bought from AE during the "Rediscovering America" sale... 

Quote:
Originally Posted by M635Guy View Post
 

Honestly, I think all of that is OK.  I just went through that on a pair of Alden WT boots (wrinkles in the leather out of the box).  Then I realized I would have that same creasing after a couple wears, so I put a good coat of wax on them and went ahead.  The stitching (if I'm seeing it right) is easily tidied up.  Unless it isn't a finished box, in which case I'd call their customer service (and take more/better pix).

 

Otherwise, condition them, wax them and enjoy.

 

Agreed about stitching, it is more the level of 'flushness' that I was seeing as a potential issue. I didn't get any waxes or conditioners! Guess I need to get that stuff too. Atleast I saved money on the sale.

post #65930 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by velomatt View Post

 

These are firsts, bought from AE during the "Rediscovering America" sale... 

 

Agreed about stitching, it is more the level of 'flushness' that I was seeing as a potential issue. I didn't get any waxes or conditioners! Guess I need to get that stuff too. Atleast I saved money on the sale.

 


I spent kind of a stupid amount of money on products (and shoe bags - I got five pairs of AE's during he sale, plus three pairs of Aldens. Since three were seconds that don't come with bags, and the Alden bags suck, I bought several more pairs, including for older pairs that didn't have bags).

General consensus was Bick 4 as a cleaner/conditioner. I got that and like it, but feel like it leans slightly more cleaner, so I also got Saphir Renovateur, which leans more conditioner. Also got some cream wax - don't really want shiny finish, so that is it for me.

Except brushes.


And some other stuff.


The shoe thing has a tail...
post #65931 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by makewayhomer View Post

yours are Black, not Black Cherry. 2481 not 2491

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeyhoatie View Post

It's weird, but looking at one of the pictures he posted originally, 2491 is pretty clearly printed inside the shoe.

Yes. The shoes are very clearly marked "2491."
post #65932 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohneokc View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna75 View Post

I know I asked this before but do not recall the answer - How you guys sizing Dundee 2.0...after seeing that the loden color may be more green - really considering it. I think some mentioned the Dundee 2.0 is much roomier.

I bought the brown grain Dundee 2.0 in my usual AE size - 9.5D. I tried the 9.0D and it was borderline, but slightly tight. The 9.5D was slightly loose, but very very slight. I decided I would rather live with slightly loose than slightly tight. After wearing them the first day they feel great.

Chris


Thanks for the info.
post #65933 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoelover View Post


Yes. The shoes are very clearly marked "2491."

Either those were mis marked coming out of the factory or somebody did dye them black... Bizarre
post #65934 of 70737

Oh - and shoe trees.  Lots of shoe trees.

post #65935 of 70737
Those Macs look par for the AE course to me. AE stitching can get a little sloppy if you put it under a microscope. But from head to foot difference they usually look great. smile.gif

Very common to have asymmetric creasing patterns on your shoes, as our feet are rarely mirror images of each other. Check out a pair of mine.

post #65936 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheJox View Post














Snagged a brand new pair of Gearys, which as best as I can tell was a brown version of the Players Shoe that came out a few years ago.  I already own a pair of (very lightly worn) AE Williams in brown, but the Williams is too dark a brown for me - I much prefer the lighter color of these shoes.  I also like the lighter color edge finishing/welt, and wanted a shortwing rather than a longwing.  I got these to replace my Williams, which I will be selling.  The leather is obviously not quite as supple as the Independence line (although these shoes seems like slightly softer/nicer leather than some other shoes I've bought recently). 

I think this may actually have been a webgem, but for the life of me I can't figure out why this hasn't become a staple of their rotation.  In my opinion, it's one of the nicest shoes they make, and I know I'm not the only one out there looking for a nice shortwing blucher.

Where do I get a pair?
post #65937 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDad View Post


Where do I get a pair?

 

I wish I had the answer.  I majorly lucked out that these happened to show up on ebay and in my exact size.  My recon tells me these were a webgem from several years ago (a temporary online-only deal for ~1-2 months), so the likelihood of finding more probably is not great.

post #65938 of 70737

I just received the golden brown long branches that I ordered during the RDA. I put them on and am thinking I have to take them back. I don't have experience purchasing boots, but it definitely looks like the first eyelets don't line up, especially the right boot. (please excuse the wool socks and bare leg)

 

If you received these as firsts, would you keep them?

 

 

 

post #65939 of 70737
@fiddlestyx

Send them back...if they were seconds I would keep them
post #65940 of 70737
Quote:
 
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Originally Posted by velomatt View Post
 

Ok, my first ever Allen Edmonds arrived the other day and I pulled them out of the box and tried them on tonight. A little walking around the house and looking at them. Since I've never had AE shoes before, I'm not really sure what to expect. I understand they are hand-made, so I'm hoping you guys can tell me if these are design 'features' -- slight imperfections that result in the handmade nature of the shoe. Or if they are flaws.

 

Any advice you guys can provide would be helpful. These are the MacNeil 2.0 in Walnut, if you care.

 

First, the right shoe seems to have way more creasing than the left shoe. I am right footed, so maybe it is just the way I walk. But it is odd that there is such a difference.

 

 

 

Second issue is on some of the stitching. It seems like the threads are left long, and the leather is not as flush on the left shoe as it is on the right shoe.

 

These look fine to me based on my experience with AE.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...