or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 4347  

post #65191 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by froyz25 View Post

Hello to all, I wanted to take an opinion from some of you regarding my recent purchase from AE. I took ownership of a "first quality" Dalton boot in oxblood. While most of the boot is pure beauty, the right boot has major leather stretch marks on it. I would like the opinion on two things: first, should these have been considered seconds? And secondly, will having this the way it is affect the overall lifespan of the boot in any way? Thanks in advance for any responses and enjoy the crappy night time iPhone pics smile.gif







 

The stitching is probably too good to be a second. Perhaps why they were first quality. It looks like can be fixed, but yes, certainly is not up to the quality.

post #65192 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by smfdoc View Post

Anyone have any experience with the Weybridge? Found some at BCF and I was wondering about their reputation. Thanks



It's a beautiful, sleek, dressy Balmoral. Simultaneously simple AND ornate. No pinking at all, but the violin-shaped perf-ing makes it something special. It's a mock “wholecut” unlike its sister true wholecut shoe (The Fairfax).

 

A few of these are apparently turning up at BCFs—west and east coast. I nabbed a pair in Dark Chili. Yours look like a lovely Dark Walnut pair. It's a discontinued style that evidently was sat on with a bunch of “Dead Stock”  only now to be released from somewhere. It's a lovely, soft leather that will crease but not crack (Some special calf style called “Ungaro Cork”—Go figure, it's lovely nonetheless). I'm guessing they're going for what they went for here in NYC, which is $99.00. If you have a hole in your rotation for a lighter-colored, dressy Bal, a hundred dollars is a Goddamned steal. I wanted a darker dressy Bal and the Dark Chili (which yours may well be—the lighting COULD be playing tricks on me in your pic) was EXACTLY what I wanted. I have an almost Golden/Deep Brass colored Belvest Glen Plaid suit with a deep red windowpane struck through it that this shoe absolutely MURDERS with, as well a few deep gray and blue suits just leaping at the chance to pair with these. 

 

They're a damned fine get.

post #65193 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR Magat View Post
 


Hopefully you left with at least 5 pairs for his effort ;)

 

I emailed the Freeport location thru shoebank to check the availability of the shoe, and Jeff aka "Jay" was the one that replied to the email and helped answer questions yesterday, and then today I got emails from Ben.  Both signatures said it was from the Freeport ME location though.


In case anyone is interested (esp. high arch people), these were the ones I tried.  BTW - I am not trying to put down any of the styles, I'm just stating my thoughts, so don't view this as any kind of attack on anything, as everyone's opinion is different.

 

1. Normandy (brown, 7D) - easiest decision I've ever made.  I heard all this stuff about the Darmstadt and Odenwald being really large but these were fine.  The heel is actually very snug/grippy while the toebox is very generous.  Not Gobi-generous but pretty roomy.  The combination of the mini-lug on the heel and the double sole on the rest I thought worked really well.  Wish I had more opportunities to actually wear them though.  Being unlined, they don't provide much warmth either.

 

2. Shelton (tan, 7D) - saw RLeslie's pics enough that I tried this.  If you tried anything on the 511, this was very similar.  Something about the tan/tan option didn't appeal to me, it was too light and too casual looking.  But the fit was very good, if it was one of the darker color options I probably would have gone for them.

 

3. After all the commotion over the tan McTavish, I tried that one (7D).  The one in Maine was in rough shape - lots of scratches, notable signs of wear on the bottoms, and one shoe was much lighter than the other.  Real dealbreaker was when I remembered how large they ran.  I tried them with dress socks and was sloshing around pretty bad.  I can only wear my McT's with heavy socks in order to get them to fit ok.  Didn't want another pair like that again, at least not now.  They had one Khaki McT (not in my size), but I wanted to point out it was sort of like a golden brown grain, much different looking than the tan if anyone is wondering.

 

4. Tried the Clifton (7D, tan?) again because I still like the look.  Way too roomy, was sloshing around pretty bad.  This didn't feel like I could get it to work.

 

5. Tried the Mora 2 (7D) - also really large, lots of slipping in the back and too much room in the front.

 

6. Wilbert (7D, golden brown cxl) - this was sort of a surprise to me, how badly they fit.  They seemed to run much larger and more roomy than standard 511 styles.  It was as if they took a 511-G road warrior and removed the orthotic, with a similar "squishy" sole.  The fit was awful.  They were so inexpensive I thought these would be a sure bet, but it shows you that you can never tell.  Ben said he could see me wearing these when I had my 85th birthday - I couldn't have put it any better myself.

 

7. I guess I was sort of determined to see if anything else would fit me on the 108, so I tried the laSalle even though I hated how they looked (black, 7D) - of course these fit extremely well, like a glove.  But then again so did the Delray, so really no surprises there.

 

8. I've tried the Kenilworth they have there (7D, black) in the past, tried it again now.  Really hard to get excited about a black PTB - I felt like it would only work with business casual, and if it couldn't double with all casual it wasn't worth getting.  If it was anything other than black I probably would have pulled the trigger.

 

9. Tried the Strandmok (7D, the one with the contrast sole) since they had it in stock.  It fit exactly like the neumok.  That reddish welt was so wide it screams casual.  Passed on this easily.

 

10. Again sort of because they had it, tried the Leeds (7D, black).  Really good fitting, simple PTB.  Similar situation as the Kenilworth - if it wasn't black I probably would have gone for these.  Ben is like garland (club Dalton, like 17000 pairs, every combination, etc.) but he said when he does wear shoes that aren't the Cambridge, the Leeds is the go-to in terms of a good fit.

 

11. Dundee 2.0 (brown grain, 7D) - huge let-down.  God these were gorgeous, but the fit was way off.  The front felt tapered but good while the back was way too large.  I couldn't walk well in them.  If these fit they would have been an instant purchase.

 

12. Tried the Presidio (7D in brown) again, different color - already picked up the black last time.  The presidio is sort of too sleek that I wouldn't really use it as a casual shoe, so I couldn't see using the brown for much.  If they had walnut I probably would have gone for them.  They are very consistent with the 222 last styles, very tapered toebox. 

 

13. Norwich (black, 7D) - another surprise.  I could have sworn I tried these and hated them when they first came out, but they worked really well.  I wore them for a single 13 hour day so far and they were comfortable all day.  They have more room in the toebox than some of the 222 styles and the double oak sole makes them stiffer than others but they are breaking in very well.  I considered them a steal.

 

14. Ventura (black, 7D) - these were better than I thought.  I was looking for a simple lightweight driver and these looked pretty sharp in black.  Unfortunately they were clearly defective - the right shoe was much longer and wider than the left and was falling off when I walked.

 

15. Ventura (tan, 7D, 1st qual) - these fit correctly but since I usually wear all dark clothes & dark denim, they didn't look right.  If they were black I would have jumped on them.  Was disappointed that the only pair of black 7D available were defective.  Can't win em all.

 

16. Strand (walnut, 8B) - another surprise.  Ben had been trying to get me to go up in length and down in width on 65 bals for a while, so decided to take the plunge here.  I wore these for two really long days this week and I never wear something twice in the same week especially when it's so new.  They were fantastic - no awful breakin like what I normally get with the 7D 65-last bals.  Really weird.  I'll be wearing these a lot more.  These worked out great.

 

Felt bad only ending up with 3 but he knows I'll be back for more - until I run out of room :).  Bottom line is you really have to try everything you can.  As I'm finding out, you can get a decent idea of how something is going to fit by knowing the last it's produced on, but you really can't know for sure.  I knew there was significant variation across the 65, but there is a pretty big variation with the 108 and even 222 also.  The material, bal vs. blucher and even whether something a boot or a shoe all factor into play.

post #65194 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by HealthActuary View Post

I had been eyeing the strand double flap briefcase for like 4 months prior to the RDA sale... I expected 20% off and would have pulled the trigger but at 40% off I didn't even think twice.

I called in ASAP and asked my SA to put the nicest one in the store on hold and I picked it up the very next day.  The briefcase looked damn near perfect and I cannot wait for it to look even more beautiful as it ages over the length of my entire career... maybe I might be able to pass it on to the next generation (when that time comes...).

I've had it for like 2 weeks now and I've gotten countless looks and compliments.  It is a timeless design.



DILEMMA.

I gave in and decided I will take advantage of the amazing sales involving the Dundee Suede and Suede Wide Basic Belt and such...

SNUFF SUEDE OR BITTER CHOCOLATE SUEDE???

I'm leaning toward SNUFF, but any solid reasons could turn me to bitter chocolate suede.  I want something very versatile... I'm not too concerned about them getting "dirty" as that comes with wearings and age. 

Snuff is dark enough yet still pops out, but bitter chocolate suede would be the more trad color?


  Bitter Chocolate Suede (Click to show)

yr61Qjo.jpg?1
Snuff Suede (Click to show)
C671dSS.jpg?1


Good call on the brief case. I think I will pick it up.

I tried both the snuff and chocolate suede. I think I actually liked the chocolate suede better because of the contrasting edge dressing. However, I bought the snuff, because I am picking up the either a chocolate dalton or brown first ave. Plus I might get adventurous and change the color of the edge dressing. can't go wrong with either colors.
post #65195 of 70737

These have been turning up at Burlington Coat Factories all over the country -- we have several pairs at the one in Brooklyn.  I think of them as "statement shoes" -- sharp, but they call attention to themselves.  It isn't always a bad thing, but perhaps less appropriate for certain situations than something simpler and less decorated.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by smfdoc View Post

Anyone have any experience with the Weybridge? Found some at BCF and I was wondering about their reputation. Thanks


post #65196 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by HealthActuary View Post

I gave in and decided I will take advantage of the amazing sales involving the Dundee Suede and Suede Wide Basic Belt and such...

 

SNUFF SUEDE OR BITTER CHOCOLATE SUEDE???

 

I'm leaning toward SNUFF, but any solid reasons could turn me to bitter chocolate suede.  I want something very versatile... I'm not too concerned about them getting "dirty" as that comes with wearings and age. 

 

Snuff is dark enough yet still pops out, but bitter chocolate suede would be the more trad color?

 

I went with snuff... I think it's still traditional enough but stands out a bit more (in a good way). Still waiting on the belt to arrive, but I did get in this watch strap which should work well.

 

 

 

 

post #65197 of 70737

If anyone is interested in seconds, I can get any current issue shoe (Dalton, Strand, First Avenue, University, etc. etc.) for $199 as long as it is located at the Leeds, AL, store. This does NOT include shell cordovan. Let me know if you want something.


Edited by drlivingston - 10/9/15 at 10:15am
post #65198 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by froyz25 View Post

Hello to all, I wanted to take an opinion from some of you regarding my recent purchase from AE. I took ownership of a "first quality" Dalton boot in oxblood. While most of the boot is pure beauty, the right boot has major leather stretch marks on it. I would like the opinion on two things: first, should these have been considered seconds? And secondly, will having this the way it is affect the overall lifespan of the boot in any way? Thanks in advance for any responses and enjoy the crappy night time iPhone pics smile.gif







 

If by stretching you mean the wrinkling on the shaft.... thats acceptable, and you're going to get pretty heavy creasing in that area wearing them. It's not going to impact the longevity of the boots by any means, and unless your wearing calf huggers, its going to be covered by your pants. Wear and enjoy :) 

 

Edit: looking at it a second time, its the inside quarter of the boot. It'll be almost invisible. I wouldn't risk trying to get a "better" pair at the risk of the rest of the boots. they look awesome. 

post #65199 of 70737

@Neo1 excellent post and thanks for sharing the information

 

Holy cow those Bleeker streets in shell are great - some beautiful shoes and boots being posted lately...well done gents.

 

FYI Burlington Coat Factory is Paramus is not worth the time to park...so dont go there looking for AE

post #65200 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyStylin View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HealthActuary View Post

I gave in and decided I will take advantage of the amazing sales involving the Dundee Suede and Suede Wide Basic Belt and such...

 

SNUFF SUEDE OR BITTER CHOCOLATE SUEDE???

 

I'm leaning toward SNUFF, but any solid reasons could turn me to bitter chocolate suede.  I want something very versatile... I'm not too concerned about them getting "dirty" as that comes with wearings and age. 

 

Snuff is dark enough yet still pops out, but bitter chocolate suede would be the more trad color?

 

I went with snuff... I think it's still traditional enough but stands out a bit more (in a good way). Still waiting on the belt to arrive, but I did get in this watch strap which should work well.

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

How did you size the suede Dundee compared to some other stuff you own? I am considering getting the Nacy or Loden...though I do wish it was a touch more Olive than grey

post #65201 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna75 View Post

FYI Burlington Coat Factory is Paramus is not worth the time to park...so dont go there looking for AE

 

Good info, thanks! The one in Pine Brook so far has been pretty weak, but I spotted a few suede Mcgregors there in various sizes. Will try to get more details next time I stop in.

post #65202 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by drlivingston View Post
 

If anyone is interested in seconds, I can any current issue shoe (Dalton, Strand, First Avenue, University, etc. etc.) for $199 as long as it is located at the Leeds, AL, store. This does NOT include shell cordovan. Let me know if you want something.


Leeds store needs to get some Bartlett in Brown or Walnut ... :smarmy: ... just saying

post #65203 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna75 View Post
 

 

How did you size the suede Dundee compared to some other stuff you own? I am considering getting the Nacy or Loden...though I do wish it was a touch more Olive than grey

 

I really don't play well with any other AE last I've tried so far outside of the 511, so I have the Dalton, Leeds (original), & Dundee 2.0 in calf all in 10.5e.

 

I tried the suede in a 10.5d in the store, as they didn't have the "e" and I just wanted to pick a color (the Loden was very tempting, but not as versatile for me). It was actually pretty comfortable, but I could tell I was going to ruin the shape of the shoe a little by bulging out the side. Stuck with a 10.5e and it fits pretty much the same as the others from what I can tell, but they just arrived last night.

post #65204 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyStylin View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna75 View Post
 

 

How did you size the suede Dundee compared to some other stuff you own? I am considering getting the Nacy or Loden...though I do wish it was a touch more Olive than grey

 

I really don't play well with any other AE last I've tried so far outside of the 511, so I have the Dalton, Leeds (original), & Dundee 2.0 in calf all in 10.5e.

 

I tried the suede in a 10.5d in the store, as they didn't have the "e" and I just wanted to pick a color (the Loden was very tempting, but not as versatile for me). It was actually pretty comfortable, but I could tell I was going to ruin the shape of the shoe a little by bulging out the side. Stuck with a 10.5e and it fits pretty much the same as the others from what I can tell, but they just arrived last night.

 

Thanks I will probably go with my standard size then for the 511...for the Dalton I can go with a 13E and a 12eee... everything else 511 is 13E

post #65205 of 70737
The 65 bals in 15D fit me like gloves. I wonder if I should consider more 14 wides from now on. I tried a 14E bal in waxy leather about 18 months ago (blanking on its name, but somewhat similar to the Rush Street) and thought that it flopped aroud too much, but now I wonder if that was lot due to the last but rather due to the weight of the double sole.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo1 View Post


In case anyone is interested (esp. high arch people), these were the ones I tried.  BTW - I am not trying to put down any of the styles, I'm just stating my thoughts, so don't view this as any kind of attack on anything, as everyone's opinion is different.

1. Normandy (brown, 7D) - easiest decision I've ever made.  I heard all this stuff about the Darmstadt and Odenwald being really large but these were fine.  The heel is actually very snug/grippy while the toebox is very generous.  Not Gobi-generous but pretty roomy.  The combination of the mini-lug on the heel and the double sole on the rest I thought worked really well.  Wish I had more opportunities to actually wear them though.  Being unlined, they don't provide much warmth either.

2. Shelton (tan, 7D) - saw RLeslie's pics enough that I tried this.  If you tried anything on the 511, this was very similar.  Something about the tan/tan option didn't appeal to me, it was too light and too casual looking.  But the fit was very good, if it was one of the darker color options I probably would have gone for them.

3. After all the commotion over the tan McTavish, I tried that one (7D).  The one in Maine was in rough shape - lots of scratches, notable signs of wear on the bottoms, and one shoe was much lighter than the other.  Real dealbreaker was when I remembered how large they ran.  I tried them with dress socks and was sloshing around pretty bad.  I can only wear my McT's with heavy socks in order to get them to fit ok.  Didn't want another pair like that again, at least not now.  They had one Khaki McT (not in my size), but I wanted to point out it was sort of like a golden brown grain, much different looking than the tan if anyone is wondering.

4. Tried the Clifton (7D, tan?) again because I still like the look.  Way too roomy, was sloshing around pretty bad.  This didn't feel like I could get it to work.

5. Tried the Mora 2 (7D) - also really large, lots of slipping in the back and too much room in the front.

6. Wilbert (7D, golden brown cxl) - this was sort of a surprise to me, how badly they fit.  They seemed to run much larger and more roomy than standard 511 styles.  It was as if they took a 511-G road warrior and removed the orthotic, with a similar "squishy" sole.  The fit was awful.  They were so inexpensive I thought these would be a sure bet, but it shows you that you can never tell.  Ben said he could see me wearing these when I had my 85th birthday - I couldn't have put it any better myself.

7. I guess I was sort of determined to see if anything else would fit me on the 108, so I tried the laSalle even though I hated how they looked (black, 7D) - of course these fit extremely well, like a glove.  But then again so did the Delray, so really no surprises there.

8. I've tried the Kenilworth they have there (7D, black) in the past, tried it again now.  Really hard to get excited about a black PTB - I felt like it would only work with business casual, and if it couldn't double with all casual it wasn't worth getting.  If it was anything other than black I probably would have pulled the trigger.

9. Tried the Strandmok (7D, the one with the contrast sole) since they had it in stock.  It fit exactly like the neumok.  That reddish welt was so wide it screams casual.  Passed on this easily.

10. Again sort of because they had it, tried the Leeds (7D, black).  Really good fitting, simple PTB.  Similar situation as the Kenilworth - if it wasn't black I probably would have gone for these.  Ben is like garland (club Dalton, like 17000 pairs, every combination, etc.) but he said when he does wear shoes that aren't the Cambridge, the Leeds is the go-to in terms of a good fit.

11. Dundee 2.0 (brown grain, 7D) - huge let-down.  God these were gorgeous, but the fit was way off.  The front felt tapered but good while the back was way too large.  I couldn't walk well in them.  If these fit they would have been an instant purchase.

12. Tried the Presidio (7D in brown) again, different color - already picked up the black last time.  The presidio is sort of too sleek that I wouldn't really use it as a casual shoe, so I couldn't see using the brown for much.  If they had walnut I probably would have gone for them.  They are very consistent with the 222 last styles, very tapered toebox. 

13. Norwich (black, 7D) - another surprise.  I could have sworn I tried these and hated them when they first came out, but they worked really well.  I wore them for a single 13 hour day so far and they were comfortable all day.  They have more room in the toebox than some of the 222 styles and the double oak sole makes them stiffer than others but they are breaking in very well.  I considered them a steal.

14. Ventura (black, 7D) - these were better than I thought.  I was looking for a simple lightweight driver and these looked pretty sharp in black.  Unfortunately they were clearly defective - the right shoe was much longer and wider than the left and was falling off when I walked.

15. Ventura (tan, 7D, 1st qual) - these fit correctly but since I usually wear all dark clothes & dark denim, they didn't look right.  If they were black I would have jumped on them.  Was disappointed that the only pair of black 7D available were defective.  Can't win em all.

16. Strand (walnut, 8B) - another surprise.  Ben had been trying to get me to go up in length and down in width on 65 bals for a while, so decided to take the plunge here.  I wore these for two really long days this week and I never wear something twice in the same week especially when it's so new.  They were fantastic - no awful breakin like what I normally get with the 7D 65-last bals.  Really weird.  I'll be wearing these a lot more.  These worked out great.

Felt bad only ending up with 3 but he knows I'll be back for more - until I run out of room smile.gif.  Bottom line is you really have to try everything you can.  As I'm finding out, you can get a decent idea of how something is going to fit by knowing the last it's produced on, but you really can't know for sure.  I knew there was significant variation across the 65, but there is a pretty big variation with the 108 and even 222 also.  The material, bal vs. blucher and even whether something a boot or a shoe all factor into play.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...