or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 4296  

post #64426 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landau View Post

I am eyeing a pair of shell Leeds.  I am in need of a Plain Toe for business/slightly formal events.  I found one up on the second hand market for what seems to be a fairly good price, but I am fairly new at this.

Is this color of brown acceptable?  They look similar to a cigar colored shell from Alden to my eyes, but I don't know much!



Up to odd jacket & tie, yes. Suit: I probably wouldn't. Color is great. Nice shade of shell. Looks like truffle/capachino.
post #64427 of 70737

@CMT1  those look great - I am very envious.

 

Lots of wonderful pics showing up  - nice shoes gents!

post #64428 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by droppp View Post

Hi All, would like to seek your expertise regarding some queries of mine.. icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

I currently have these shoes on rotation:

1. Black Plain Captoe Oxford
2. Dark Brown Plain Captoe Oxford
3. Burgandy Penny Loafers

I work in an environment where the standard attire would be more of a standard business getup consisting of dress shirt (plain), dress pants and dress shoes. So the above 3 pairs of shoes has somewhat worked for me thus far.

I am looking to acquire a pair of AE's, and i would like them to be able to be worn in a more business casual setting (think long sleeved button downs with patterns, chino trousers, shoes)

So far I have been looking at oxfords and derbies with some brouging, in particular the Strands model in either Walnut or Bourbon.

My questions are:

1. Would i be able to get away with wearing the Strands for my normal deskjob without it looking too out of place with my attire (shirt and pants)?
 sale right no
2. Which colour would be better suited for it? Right now i am leaning towards the Walnut.

3. I fit a Meermin UK8 in Hiro Last, but it is very snug and i doubt i can go even a half size lower. I also have wide feet. Should i get the Strands in US 9E, 9EE or 9EEE?

4. Any other AE model which might fit my requirement?

Thanks in advance and greatly appreciate any form of feedback! biggrin.gif

 

1.) Absolutely, I've seen people pull off strands with jeans who look great.

2.) Walnut is probably the most flashy color you can get on a standard AE shoe. If you want something that will blend in but still be a little different i recommend something in the darker/med brown family either the bourbon or my favorite, chili. 

3.) Everyone's foot is different, AE offers easy returns so just order a few if you can't get to a store to try on.I have slightly wider foot and the 5 last fits me very well in a 9D.

4.) I would look at bluchers/derbies over oxfords if you're looking into more business causal wear. If you want a touch of broguing: Yorktown or Flatiron. If you want more broguing I would go with any of the long wings AE offers (Macneil, Mcgregor, or Larchmont). Given the current RDA sale, I would pickup a Mcgregor at a very steep discount.

post #64429 of 70737
My current shoe collection:

Strand in walnut
Mcallister in bourbon
Strand in brown suede
Cronmok boots in brown

I work in a business casual environment and wear the Mcallisters and Cronmok boots 95% of the time. Think I need a legit, versatile wingtip to join the regular rotation.

McGregor? Thoughts on that? Because the 65 last fits me perfectly.

Brown? Oxblood? Chili?

Want something for work and also to wear out, even with jeans/cords.
post #64430 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobStrauss View Post

My current shoe collection:

Strand in walnut
Mcallister in bourbon
Strand in brown suede
Cronmok boots in brown

I work in a business casual environment and wear the Mcallisters and Cronmok boots 95% of the time. Think I need a legit, versatile wingtip to join the regular rotation.

McGregor? Thoughts on that? Because the 65 last fits me perfectly.

Brown? Oxblood? Chili?

Want something for work and also to wear out, even with jeans/cords.
 

I really like the McTavish.  Certainly leans the more "casual" side of biz casual, but fantastic with jeans.


Edited by M635Guy - 9/28/15 at 8:09am
post #64431 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landau View Post

I am eyeing a pair of shell Leeds.  I am in need of a Plain Toe for business/slightly formal events.  I found one up on the second hand market for what seems to be a fairly good price, but I am fairly new at this.

Is this color of brown acceptable?  They look similar to a cigar colored shell from Alden to my eyes, but I don't know much! Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

almost certain these are burgundy shell that have developed patina over time. Are the insoles black or is that just shadows?
post #64432 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchidiot View Post


almost certain these are burgundy shell that have developed patina over time. Are the insoles black or is that just shadows?

 

Perhaps, but if the color is accurate, those are almost identical to my Truffle McGraws.  In either case, a great color.

 

Shooting the four digit model number to Live Chat would eliminate all doubt.  I'm curious myself now. 

 

Better grab those; they appear to be in good shape.

post #64433 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchidiot View Post


almost certain these are burgundy shell that have developed patina over time. Are the insoles black or is that just shadows?

I agree. Also, at some point AE had switched to black insoles, which from what I read, was not a popular choice. 

post #64434 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWTeal View Post

I agree. Also, at some point AE had switched to black insoles, which from what I read, was not a popular choice. 

My shell strands (pictured previously) have the black insole. I'm not sure what makes it inferior to the current natural colored one
post #64435 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMT1 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi1 View Post

I called a few weeks ago to inquire about briefcase sales. Apparently those steep discounts were a one-off


Shame. I'd love a $25 Strand Messenger bag. shog[1].gif

 



$147 for 2nds was as low as those got not to long ago. Still amazing at that price though.
post #64436 of 70737
Hey thanks BKBridge!

I decided to go with Strands in Walnut after all, most likely in US 8.5E as the general consensus that i get after reading through numerous posts is to size down 0.5 from AE, E width to get the Meermin hiro last sizing, or vice versa, to size up 0.5 to get the AE size in E width.

I decided on Walnut as i have and will be commissioning several more light colored (light grey/cream) dress pants and chinos. Hoping to achieve something like this once i receive the shoes! icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

post #64437 of 70737
Happy Monday, fellas!
post #64438 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by droppp View Post

Hey thanks BKBridge!

I decided to go with Strands in Walnut after all, most likely in US 8.5E as the general consensus that i get after reading through numerous posts is to size down 0.5 from AE, E width to get the Meermin hiro last sizing, or vice versa, to size up 0.5 to get the AE size in E width.

I decided on Walnut as i have and will be commissioning several more light colored (light grey/cream) dress pants and chinos. Hoping to achieve something like this once i receive the shoes! icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Nice choice!  I love the walnut strand, and think it pairs great with light grey & navy trousers.  I'm sure you'll be very happy with them

post #64439 of 70737
PSA: the Burlington coat factory on 23rd and 6th in Manhattan has the following:

Tan Suede mcgregor in 9D for $139.99
Tannish kiowas in 9D for $89.99
Black manchesters in 11D for $139.99
Tan mcgregors in 11D for $139.99
post #64440 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchidiot View Post

almost certain these are burgundy shell that have developed patina over time. Are the insoles black or is that just shadows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWTeal View Post

I agree. Also, at some point AE had switched to black insoles, which from what I read, was not a popular choice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post

My shell strands (pictured previously) have the black insole. I'm not sure what makes it inferior to the current natural colored one

AE switched to black insoles for a short time a few years ago. It was not well received, for some reason. They did it to try and look more high end, like European shoemakers, but their regular clients did not like the black insoles. Shortly thereafter they switched back to the natural colored insoles.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...