or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 422  

post #6316 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenboy16 View Post

what is the general consensus about the player's shoes in walnut color? i was originally looking at the strands and mcallisters for a brown dress shoe. how does it compare? its on sale at nordstroms right now for $220

Player's walnut is awesome. It's on a very narrow last, though, so you need to be sure it fits.
post #6317 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmdsimpson View Post


Player's walnut is awesome. It's on a very narrow last, though, so you need to be sure it fits.

is there a difference in "appropriateness" of oxfords vs blutchers? i.e. is one more casual than the other, how do they play in for formal wear/office wear?  i personally like the deeper color of the mcallisters or strands (not burnished walnut, just walnut).

post #6318 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenboy16 View Post

is there a difference in "appropriateness" of oxfords vs blutchers? i.e. is one more casual than the other, how do they play in for formal wear/office wear?  i personally like the deeper color of the mcallisters or strands (not burnished walnut, just walnut).

Ah, sorry, I missed your comment about needing a dress shoe.

General guidelines are that oxford is more formal than blucher. Also, a darker color would be considered dressier than walnut. I'd say the Player is perhaps a little too casual for dress wear, especially if you're looking at the McAllister and Strand in brown, instead of walnut; though even in walnut they look dressier to me than the Player.
post #6319 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmdsimpson View Post


Ah, sorry, I missed your comment about needing a dress shoe.
General guidelines are that oxford is more formal than blucher. Also, a darker color would be considered dressier than walnut. I'd say the Player is perhaps a little too casual for dress wear, especially if you're looking at the McAllister and Strand in brown, instead of walnut; though even in walnut they look dressier to me than the Player.

thanks for the input. this is what i thinking too. i'll probably wait for the next sale to get my AE's.

post #6320 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmdsimpson View Post

Does this happen when you are sitting, or do you only see it when standing; i.e.: when putting pressure on the footbed? I have not noticed this on my shoes, but I have particularly bony ankles, so I probably wouldn't. Although I do recall trying on a pair of shell strands in a store that felt a little loose around the ankles; I wonder if this was the issue.

 

That picture was taken when sitting. When standing\walking they bow even worse when the shoe flexes. I have just over 20 pairs of AE shoes & boots and the Bradley's are the first time I have experienced the bowing issue to this extent. It isn't restricted to shell, it happens in calf also and someone on here went through several pair of Strands and they all bowed so he gave up. I think it is isolated to certain production runs and sizes when it occurs. Some people it doesn't seem to bother and that is the bottom line IMO. It does bother me when walking and the cuff exposes the shoe it catches my eye and is a distraction. 

post #6321 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDtoBE View Post

Hey quick question for you guys. Was just at the AE tent sale this weekend and picked up what I thought was a misplaced pair of walnut 5th Avenue 2nds for 129. So naturally, at first, thought i got a steal. In reality they were Nathans. Is there any real difference between 5th Aves and Nathans? Or are they essentially the same shoe (with the Nathans made specifically for Jos. A Bank)?

 

According to Jos. A Bank it is on the same last and the exact same in fit and quality.  See this Q&A from their website, http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop/Product_11001_10050_299318 :

 

Q:  Is this the same quality as other balmorals from AE, such as the Park Avenue, Strand, Fifth Avenue, etc.? Also, is it built on the same last as those other shoes (same fit in length, width, etc.)?

If I'm buying a shoe for the same price as the shoes I can get from AE, I want to be sure it's the same quality, etc.

Asked on 1/19/2012 by Matthew
 

A:  Yes, these Allen Edmonds shoes are made with the same workmanship, European leathers and in the same factory that Allen Edmonds makes the rest of their line in USA. This shoe is built on the Fifth Ave last and is identical in fit , leather & quality that you will find in Allen Edmonds shoes. Thank you for shopping with us.

 

Answered on 1/20/2012 by Jos. A. Bank from Hampstead, MD
post #6322 of 70737

^ ^ ^

 

By the way, $129 for a pair of Fifth Avenues is an awesome deal.  Congrats!

post #6323 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmdsimpson View Post


Player's walnut is awesome. It's on a very narrow last, though, so you need to be sure it fits.

 

Exactly.  I have a pair and love them, but they are narrow.  They them on first if you are able.

post #6324 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenboy16 View Post

is there a difference in "appropriateness" of oxfords vs blutchers? i.e. is one more casual than the other, how do they play in for formal wear/office wear?  i personally like the deeper color of the mcallisters or strands (not burnished walnut, just walnut).

 

The walnut leather employed on the Mcallister, Strand, and Player's is identical in color.

post #6325 of 70737

Great collection, especially the Dalton shells (since I just got mine yesterday!).  Yours seem to be lighter and more burnished than mine, but that may be just the picture.  BTW, could anyone who owns a pair of Dalton shells compare this AE last (#5 I think) to the closest Alden last?  Meaning, which Alden last is the closest to the #5 AE last?  Thanks.

 

Sorry, the above reference was to Pastor who posted pics of his Dalton shells which I was admiring.

post #6326 of 70737

It seems as though the Merlot McAllisters dont take a shine very well...Ive polished them (Using AE Merlot polish), buffed them, brushed them etc., but they just dont shine up as well as the 5th Aves...Im not sure if I have received some sort of unshineable burnished version or what, but they just dont seem to take a shine...maybe Ill try wax instead of polish next.
 

post #6327 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettoasty View Post

So anyone pick up some shoes from the tent sale? How are AE seconds like? Anything to worry about?

 

I picked up Neumok (Blue) and Strand (Walnut). I can take some pics when they arrive!

post #6328 of 70737
Are we able to order pairs from the Tent Sale by requesting a list of pairs in our size from the Shoe Bank?
post #6329 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootSpell View Post

Great collection, especially the Dalton shells (since I just got mine yesterday!).  Yours seem to be lighter and more burnished than mine, but that may be just the picture.  BTW, could anyone who owns a pair of Dalton shells compare this AE last (#5 I think) to the closest Alden last?  Meaning, which Alden last is the closest to the #5 AE last?  Thanks.

Sorry, the above reference was to Pastor who posted pics of his Dalton shells which I was admiring.

Aren't the Dalton Boots on the #1 last? I'm not the best to ask because I seems to be all over the board on sizing. Here is a good rundown of some of the shoes I have and how they fit.

AE Dalton Shell Boots (1 last ) - 9.5E - These fit absolutely perfect
AE Bradley Shell (1 last ) - 9.5E - These fit perfect
AE Dundee Shell (1 last) - 9.5D - These are a little snug but the 9.5E fell off my feet ??? Don't understand this at all?
AE Cambridge Suede (5 last) - 9.5E - A little snug but still a great fit
AE Nuemora (new 333 last) - 9 E - I've never sized down this low before but these fit perfect. (Thanks to the SA for ordering me several pairs to try on!)
AE Fifth St Boot (5 Last) - 9.5E - Perfect fit
AE Weybridge (7 last ???) - 10D - great fit - These could fit better but I think it's the shape of the last.
AE Strand (5 last ) - 9.5E - perfect fit

Alden LWB #8 shell (Barrie Last) - 9E - A little big but wearable
Alden LWB Cigar shell (Barrie Last ) 9D - A little snug but wearable
Alden LWB Tobacco Calf (Barrie Last) - 9D A little snug but wearable
Alden Captoe Boot #8 shell (Grant Last) 9.5D - Perfect fit
Alden Ravello Shell Wingtip Boot (Barrie Last) 9.5D - A little large but they fit when wearing boot socks
Alden Cigar Shell Indy (Trubalance Last) 9D - Perfect Fit
Alden LWB Sand Suede (Leydon last) 9.5D - These are my best fitting Aldens!

Hope this helps.
post #6330 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by reydogg23 View Post

Are we able to order pairs from the Tent Sale by requesting a list of pairs in our size from the Shoe Bank?

Yes.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...