or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 43  

post #631 of 70737
I ended up buying the Bayfield boots since they were only 140.
Very nice, but they're a bit too wide. only size they had was EEE figured, I'll just wear thicker socks.

How long did it take you guys to break them in? Because right now they make a lot of noise because of how stiff they are
post #632 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post

The SA at my store was kind enough to exchange my Norwichs for a size 10 (from a size 10.5) and they do fit better in terms of snugness and heel rubbing. But now I've run into another issue: my left, outer ankle rubs against the leather edge severely and I'm convinced that the leather strip for the heel is cut improperly (i.e. too tall) because I don't have this issue with my right ankle. And I'm pretty damn sure that my left ankle is symmetrical to my right one.
Photo%20Oct%2017%2C%205%2032%2001%20PM.jpg
Note how the leather is creasing against my ankle due to the pressure. It hurts when I walk, quite a bit.
I'd feel bad going in, asking for another exchange, but I exchanged these during work and thus had to walk around with them in public.

If one shoe is rubbing your ankle and creasing, it's likely defective. I'd suggest taking it back and exchanging it. Does the Norwich come in "C" widths?
post #633 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joenobody0 View Post

Last time I asked the available widths depends on your size (length), and the last. The charge quoted to me was $50.

It turns out that the advertising copy on the AE web site should be taken with a grain of salt. It's more than a bit misleading.

The AE web site says: "All of our shoes can be ordered in mis-matched and special sizes for a nominal charge through our Consumer Assistance Center at 1-800-235-2348."

But when you contact AE customer service and ask for a "C" width in a 10.5 shoe, here's what they say:

"We can mis-match shoes and order shoes in special sizes provided we have the last to make the shoe in that particular size. A last is the form that the shoes are shaped on.
We do not have the “C” width last for the Kenwood model. We would be unable to manufacture this shoe in the 10.5 C width size."


How much does it cost AE to make a "C" last? What's the big deal?
post #634 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurktwin View Post

If one shoe is rubbing your ankle and creasing, it's likely defective. I'd suggest taking it back and exchanging it. Does the Norwich come in "C" widths?

Hmm.. I'm not sure, but I'm going to go back in tomorrow.. God I'll feel like such an ass, asking for another exchange plain.gif

They'll probably think I'm scamming them or something.
post #635 of 70737
$29 AE Leeds came in today. They are nice everyday work shoes for the office. Bulkier than the Clifton, but they have a nice overall shape.

Really like them for what they are going to be used for.

Question though, did AE ever make the Leeds in a pebbled leather? All the current photos show it as smooth.
post #636 of 70737
got my Park Aves from ebay. paid $120 and probably worn 5-10 times.

Absolutely love them. not sure why i waited so long to buy them.

thumbs-up.gif
post #637 of 70737
post #638 of 70737

How does the Macneil fit comparing to Park Avenue? On their website, customer review said they are a bit wider comparing to Park Avenue, could any Macneil's owner confirm this? I am a 9D in Park Avenue, what size should I get for Macneil? Thanks.
post #639 of 70737
My park aves got wet in the rain and the water soaked through to the soles such that I can feel it through my socks. I left them leaning against a wall at an angle (toe touching the ground, heel against the wall) to aid the drying process for a day, but they're still kind of wet. I just went ahead and put the cedar wood inserts in, hoping they'll absorb the rest of the moisture.

What's the proper protocol to drying such leather-soled shoes?
post #640 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post

My park aves got wet in the rain and the water soaked through to the soles such that I can feel it through my socks. I left them leaning against a wall at an angle (toe touching the ground, heel against the wall) to aid the drying process for a day, but they're still kind of wet. I just went ahead and put the cedar wood inserts in, hoping they'll absorb the rest of the moisture.
What's the proper protocol to drying such leather-soled shoes?

My strands got soaked walking home a few weeks ago. I instantly put the shoe trees in, they help absorb the water as well. Rotate the shoe trees in and out every 6 hours or so until dry. I placed mine on their side personally, so the shape would not get warped. Condition and cream once fully dry. Should be fine.
post #641 of 70737
After what I've read, you should not put shoe trees in at once, but put som newspapers etc. into the shoe to soak up the moisture. After this has been done, you can put in the shoe trees.
post #642 of 70737
I bought a pair of MacNeil's in the Walnut Grain Calf during the sale. They look terrific in person. But I have to echo the quality control comments on here. While my pair has no deal-breakers, the finishing on the sole edges is less than perfect. It just looks like some small spots were missed when applying stain. Thankfully no defects on the upper that I can see yet. But it does seem like they are letting less than perfect shoes slip out the door - maybe a product of ramping up production volume beyond their ability to manage it?

350
post #643 of 70737
I need another pair of shoes to wear with suits. Thoughts of the following three shoes and price. Which would you go for? All are black

Lombards $129
Boston $220.15
Norwich $220.15
post #644 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmdsimpson View Post

I bought a pair of MacNeil's in the Walnut Grain Calf during the sale. They look terrific in person. But I have to echo the quality control comments on here. While my pair has no deal-breakers, the finishing on the sole edges is less than perfect. It just looks like some small spots were missed when applying stain. 350
MacNeil is probably my favorite AE b/c of versatility, preferred MC casual look and #7 is best for me. I've had my Walnut Grain since for years and I prefer them with scuffs, nicks and bruises. Adds more character imo
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselman89 View Post

I need another pair of shoes to wear with suits. Thoughts of the following three shoes and price. Which would you go for? All are black
Lombards $129 Boston $220.15 Norwich $220.15
I personally would wear the Boston for suiting, more elegant because of its elongated last; Norwich is nice too, but i tend to wear double sole on the casual side...I think you can't go wrong either way.
post #645 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanks SF (a new me) View Post

MacNeil is probably my favorite AE b/c of versatility, preferred MC casual look and #7 is best for me. I've had my Walnut Grain since for years and I prefer them with scuffs, nicks and bruises. Adds more character imo

I totally agree. I've been looking for a pair of walnut grained longwings, and I already have a pair of MacNeils in black that fit me well. So I was happy to see they now offer these in walnut grain and on sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanks SF (a new me) View Post

I personally would wear the Boston for suiting, more elegant because of its elongated last; Norwich is nice too, but i tend to wear double sole on the casual side...I think you can't go wrong either way.

Norwich is on the Executive last, same as the Lombard. These run really narrow. Not sure how the Boston runs, but if you have wider feet, try on the Executive last shoes before you buy.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...