or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 4197  

post #62941 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMR16 View Post

Why styleforum keeps signing me in as an old profile keeps boggling me, for anyone that responds to WolverineNation could just respond to this account instead. Thank you all.


I'll give you my 2 cents but ultimately I'll leave it up to you to decide -

 

I'm not a fan of the 97 last - many of the lasts just "don't work" for me - this one "works" but not well.  I wear the same size in this as with everything else, and the toebox just feels ultra cramped.  I tried on (pretty sure) all of the iterations of the Grayson, including the Manchester.  With the Grayson, I can wear them a full day and while they aren't comfortable, I can get by.  With the Jermyn (which was out at around the same time as the Manchester), I'm usually in pain half-way through the day.  Same size, same width.  The Manchester (and Westchester for that matter) had the fit of the Jermyn, not the Grayson.  People can disagree, I'm fine with that, but I feel like they definitely relaxed the fit when it came to the Grayson.

 

If your Graysons are completely comfortable and you feel like you could tolerate a width down (meaning you order a D and it fits like a C), I'd say place the order.  Personally, if they had a Westchester in shell for sub $300 (which they did have in some sizes), I'd pass with no regrets whatsoever.

 

Also wanted to note, going from D to E (which I did try with the Manchester) messed up the heel fit completely.

post #62942 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by M635Guy View Post
 

 

Thanks!  Does appear to be the Aberdeens - not easy to find on the AE site!  (though I do think they had them at the SF store).

 

Should the 222 last run a half-size smaller than the 65 last?  I was surprised that the 11.5 they had in the store was much more snug than my McTavishes (how do you pluralize McTavish?!? lol).  They didn't have a 12 for comparison.  Wondering if I'm an E in that last...

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchidiot View Post


It's a combination of 2 things. The McTavish, together with most of the rough collection (eg. Elgin, Neumok, etc) appear to be bigger than the other 65 lasted shoes. Most folks go down have a size for shoes in this collection. So your 11.5 may fit closer to a 12.

The 222 last is also one of AEs narrower last.

Don't want to confuse the matter, but I definitely find that the Aberdeens are the widest of anything I've ever tried on the 222 last.  But yeah, narrower than the McTavish for sure.  I wouldn't hesitate - I think they're easily one of the best ever made by AE.  If they were still available I would have picked up all of the colors (including the gray).

post #62943 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMR16 View Post

Why styleforum keeps signing me in as an old profile keeps boggling me, for anyone that responds to WolverineNation could just respond to this account instead. Thank you all.

 

The Manchester fits considerably more snug than the Grayson. It actually has a higher vamp/smaller throat, which really cuts the shoe off, especially for guys with high/full insteps. 

post #62944 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineNation View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna75 View Post

HAHAHA - I was just asking you!

I am going to use my suede cleaning kit on them to see how they react. Wish I knew the tannery as I would love to see what other colors are available and have a boot made for me.

Question for you: Does AE sell cleaning kits for the Lake Shore Drive tassel at all even though its discontinued? Or could I take it into the local store and they take care of it? I know they polish and what not but I was curious since you were just discussing this.

 

I am not really sure honestly, like @garland mentioned i think treating those like suede is the way to go - Saphire makes a suede cleaning solution and AE has a suede eraser and brush kit that I have. This leather can take a little beating and still look great - sort of adds a patina in a good way while if this was suede it would look more dirty than cool. If that makes any sense at all.

post #62945 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo1 View Post


Don't want to confuse the matter, but I definitely find that the Aberdeens are the widest of anything I've ever tried on the 222 last.  But yeah, narrower than the McTavish for sure.  I wouldn't hesitate - I think they're easily one of the best ever made by AE.  If they were still available I would have picked up all of the colors (including the gray).
It's also the Aberdeens are part of the rough collection.

In the same way that the McTavish is roomier than other non-Rough collection 65 lasted shoes, the Aberdeen is also roomier than other 223 lasted shoes.
post #62946 of 70737

So based on my fit with the McTavish, I guess the operative question is whether I should go wider (D-->E) or next size up (11.5-->12).  I could ask my local Brooks Brothers to bring in both sizes, but have noticed that I can get either from Shoebank (though sadly not from the AE Outlet 30 minutes from me).  I'm guessing the don't transfer stock around those stores...

post #62947 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by M635Guy View Post

So based on my fit with the McTavish, I guess the operative question is whether I should go wider (D-->E) or next size up (11.5-->12).  I could ask my local Brooks Brothers to bring in both sizes, but have noticed that I can get either from Shoebank (though sadly not from the AE Outlet 30 minutes from me).  I'm guessing the don't transfer stock around those stores...
Also be aware that BB shoes use Poron insole which makes fits a bit tighter because it adds volume to the insole and raises your foot up.
post #62948 of 70737
Gentlemen, I was wondering if anyone has experience with the AE northland and if you sized down 1/2 or went TTS?
post #62949 of 70737

Hey Guys - I remember reading a few posts about changing the color of walnut strands but can't find the right page.  I basically want to get rid of the orange color.  I don't mind going lighter (more natural) or darker but wasn't sure what the appropriate steps were or color creams.   I've been using walnut and it seems a bit orange for my liking.   Any suggestions?

post #62950 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoetree View Post

Gentlemen, I was wondering if anyone has experience with the AE northland and if you sized down 1/2 or went TTS?

I have a 12 and 13 on the way so I will let you know.
post #62951 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVA19 View Post

Hey Guys - I remember reading a few posts about changing the color of walnut strands but can't find the right page.  I basically want to get rid of the orange color.  I don't mind going lighter (more natural) or darker but wasn't sure what the appropriate steps were or color creams.   I've been using walnut and it seems a bit orange for my liking.   Any suggestions?

Stay away from walnut and use chili or brown. Navy will also work. Whatever you, plan on making the darkening a long multi month project using very very light coats each time you polish. Otherwise you will end up with a gunk laden shoe that dust and dirt will embed in the creases. The finest examples I have ever seen have been by those who do this over a year or so.
post #62952 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna75 View Post


Stay away from walnut and use chili or brown. Navy will also work. Whatever you, plan on making the darkening a long multi month project using very very light coats each time you polish. Otherwise you will end up with a gunk laden shoe that dust and dirt will embed in the creases. The finest examples I have ever seen have been by those who do this over a year or so.


  I don't mind taking my time over the course of a year using the light coats.   Do you happen to know where there are pics of what the finished product looks like when using each of the 3 options you mentioned?  I'd like to see how chili, brown and navy impact the finish differently.  

post #62953 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVA19 View Post


  I don't mind taking my time over the course of a year using the light coats.   Do you happen to know where there are pics of what the finished product looks like when using each of the 3 options you mentioned?  I'd like to see how chili, brown and navy impact the finish differently.  
Mine haven't turned out as well as some others I've seen , but I've still been quite pleased with mine. I used, at various times, dark brown AE cream (tube) polish, and Kiwi dark brown wax polish. (Photo w/o flash) J
post #62954 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by M635Guy View Post

So based on my fit with the McTavish, I guess the operative question is whether I should go wider (D-->E) or next size up (11.5-->12).  I could ask my local Brooks Brothers to bring in both sizes, but have noticed that I can get either from Shoebank (though sadly not from the AE Outlet 30 minutes from me).  I'm guessing the don't transfer stock around those stores...
They could probably transfer the shoes for you to try on.
post #62955 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo1 View Post

smile.gif

I have a really high instep and the Patriot works great for me.  I'm glad to see they came out with the Ascher & Lake Forest and didn't discontinue the 606-lasted styles altogether.  The McGraw is a great looking shoe but I think that one works well for wide + high instep.  Did you ever try the Arezzo by any chance?  That style (and the Verona, etc.) work for me and they definitely don't run narrow.  Most people don't like that style of shoe though.  Just a thought.

Neo. I think our friendly exchanges on the subject from time to time over the 4 and 7 lasts illustrates well that not all high I steps are created equal. You obviously have had success with lasts I haven't and vice versa. I suspect my difficulty with loafers relates to me likely needing an "E and a half" width for most lasts and most AE loafers aren't available in EE. The overall width and the toe box of the McGraw is good, though the heel is a bit loose.

The Singleton is a bit snug across the vamp but not uncomfortable and the heel is perfect. Supposedly, it - like the RL Sanderson LWB - is on the 222 but AE won't officially discuss the lasts of the RL shoes they have made. Both are narrow LOOKING shoes but tolerate my instep pretty well.

The best fitting AE I've ever had on my feet is a MacNeil in E width. Theoretically the Grayson should work but for whatever reason it doesn't.

I have never tried the Arezzo but I greatly appreciate your suggestion. I also appreciate your detailed presentation when you discuss your last experiences. The analysis is surely helpful to some and appreciated by many more. Thank you.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...