Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAllen Edmondstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Malvern Boottagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Wilbert Lace-Uptagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryBootstagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShell Cordovantagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Murlsquirl, 4/3/15
Related Forum Threads
- The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread Last post on 3/27/17 at 7:47pm in Classic Menswear
- Size 9 Shoes: Grenson Tassel Loafers and Tommy Hilfiger Oxford Boots Last post on 11/27/11 at 5:58pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on Today at 7:38 pm in Classic Menswear
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E $2,200 Last post on 9/13/15 at 2:32am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
Last edited: 2/9/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Allen Edmond Park Avenue sizingLast edited: 1/27/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOsLast edited: 5/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 4164post #62447 of 707378/3/15 at 10:00ampost #62448 of 707378/3/15 at 10:04ampost #62449 of 707378/3/15 at 10:09am@garland - on the Cornwallis you went up in length...interesting. How would you compare the last to the 108 or 222?
BTW - maiden voyage for the taormina today - thx for the recommendation. Did a considerable amount of walking and they're holding up just fine so far.post #62450 of 707378/3/15 at 10:12am@middlepP - sorry, I have to agree with the negative feedback on the road warriors. Do you have anything with either a minilug or other commando sole? They are pretty heavy but the Kiowa, Aberdeen & Big Sur all provide really good support. But I have leg pain issues, not foot pain, so may be a little different.post #62451 of 707378/3/15 at 11:12amQuote:Quote:Originally Posted by Neo1
@middlepP - sorry, I have to agree with the negative feedback on the road warriors.I own the LGA, and think it is fine, especially for adding your own insert. I am interested in seeing the PTB in person, as it has some potential. The MKE is also my least favorite - but I really needed a 3rd pair for a proper rotation, at least until I figure out a longer term strategy. These were a no warranty pair without the road warrior inserts - that I paid $30 for on the bay. Guess when you consider that, they look pretty decent!Quote:
Still sorting through test results, possible diagnosis and future options. Things suck pretty bad right now and I'm not sure what or how long the road to recover will be, but I'm willing to do what is necessary to feel better and spend quality time with the family.
Tell me about it! Although, I can't say I didn't agree with the statement.Quote:
Off the top of my head, my non-leather options are pretty limited:
Walnut Hills (mini-lug)
MKE and LGA
Addison, Gobi, Clark St, etc (dainite)
Thanks for the suggestion. Once the orthotic is finalized, I may pursue some of these.post #62452 of 707378/3/15 at 11:15am
Speaking of commando sole... I watched a pretty pair of 9.5 shell Daltons with commando go on ebay last night. Seriously considered pulling the trigger, but resisted until I figure things out and possibly learn my new size with orthotic.post #62453 of 707378/3/15 at 1:15pm@middlepP - so would you say that the road warriors are much better than the black hills even? I tried on the lga I think (?), the old lake forest (not the new loafer), and some golf sneakers on the jn9. All were damn tight, the sneakers even going up half a size, with the insert. But I felt like none provided the level of support of something like a black hills or even a Nashua. Just my two cents.
They aren't pretty, but the stuff on the 678 is crazy big in the toe box and definitely didn't feel tight like the others I mentioned.post #62454 of 707378/3/15 at 2:07pmQuote:Originally Posted by garland
For those of you curious about the Cornwallis, first day on the feet!
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Sent from my HTC One_M8 using TapatalkQuote:
Looks like a winner. Great medallion, too.post #62455 of 707378/3/15 at 2:43pm
They look pretty nice except the leather on the right shoe has a slightly rougher (wrinkled?) grain (more obvious in the picture than real life) and the leather covering the left shoe insole seems to be misaligned:
Above is the left, here is the right for comparison:
You can see that the leather covering the insole on the left has a gap between the footbed and the side of the shoe; however, when wearing the shoes I can't feel any defect at all.
I am feeling like these are keepers. Am I missing something that would worry any of you?
Edited by DeathandTaxes - 8/3/15 at 2:55pmpost #62456 of 707378/3/15 at 2:58pmpost #62457 of 707378/3/15 at 3:11pmpost #62458 of 707378/3/15 at 3:22pmQuote:Originally Posted by garland
For those of you curious about the Cornwallis, first day on the feet!
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Any idea when these (and the other new shoes) will be released on the website? I'm liking these more the more I see them.post #62459 of 707378/3/15 at 3:36pmQuote:Originally Posted by Neo1
@middlepP - so would you say that the road warriors are much better than the black hills even? I tried on the lga I think (?), the old lake forest (not the new loafer), and some golf sneakers on the jn9. All were damn tight, the sneakers even going up half a size, with the insert. But I felt like none provided the level of support of something like a black hills or even a Nashua. Just my two cents.
They aren't pretty, but the stuff on the 678 is crazy big in the toe box and definitely didn't feel tight like the others I mentioned.
@Neo1 In terms of fitting with my inserts, yes the road warriors work much better than the black hills - but that is due to the removable insole. In terms of support, if I had to be on my feet all day or if I was to be standing on concrete or something for long hours, I would pick the BHs. They have become my outdoor concert go-to shoe. For walking many miles, I'd probably put the LGA in front of the BH. The LGA is so much lighter than the BH. I get a bit of heel slippage and slight pinky toe rub in the black hills even though they are more voluminous than the LGA/MKE.
Typically I would run like crazy from something that is big in the toe box OR looked like some of those shoes on the 678 last, but I guess you never know.post #62460 of 707378/3/15 at 3:42pmQuote:Originally Posted by middlepP
Despite wearing high quality shoes (other than athletic shoes or the occasional Puma kicks, I wear AE pretty much exclusively), having a proper rotation (~20 pair of AEs), and knowing I have a proper fit (fitted at multiple AE stores)... I have been dealing with some major foot pain. No fun, especially for someone in their 30's!!
After a visit to the podiatrist, it looks like the issue is larger than my just my feet - but, as a first step, I am now trying out some inserts with major arch support, with plans to transition to custom orthotics. Problem is, these inserts make most of my shoes too snug. Luckily, I have a few pair that either accommodate for an insert or are wide enough that my feet aren't cramped. Hopefully this changes as I shift to a smaller, shorter orthotic.
I am not crazy about the Road Warriors collection, but have limited options right now. Picked up the MKE and wore them for the first time today. This passing conversation with a colleague summed it up nicely:
Him: "Did you get another new pair of shoes?"
Me: "Yes, what do you think? As you can tell, I am obsessed with the dark chili color right now."
Him: "Those aren't your normal brand right? I mean normally I glance at your shoes and know they are super nice and expensive. Don't get me wrong, those look nice - but like something I might wear."
Guess that sums up my feelings too...
For what it's worth, I wear a full length orthotic in most of my Allen Edmonds shoes. I have usually just had to size up a half size. I am probably a true 9E but end up wearing 9.5 E in many of my Allen Edmonds shoes. The exception would be the several pairs of boat shoes/loafers I got recently, which I wear without any inserts.
This thread is locked
- Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 36 minutes ago
- › NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread 37 minutes ago
- › The Hong Kong Tailors Thread 45 minutes ago
- › E.G. Cappelli Store now LIVE! 51 minutes ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 56 minutes ago
- › Vanda Fine Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 1 hour, 2 minutes ago
- › Linjer Leather Goods -- official affiliate thread 1 hour, 7 minutes ago
- › The Look goes on... 1 hour, 9 minutes ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 1 hour, 10 minutes ago
- › Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion 1 hour, 10 minutes ago
- › Men’s The Original 3” Boxerjock® Boxer Briefs... by Alper
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...