or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 4147  

post #62191 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohneokc View Post


I like the laces, especially if you are wearing the blue shirt. The only thing that might make it better would be some patterned socks with some blue in them.

Thumbs up from me.

Chris


Yes, laces-socks-shirt matching is really the way to roll.  Just don't do solid colored socks - patterned socks come off much better when doing the laces-socks-shirt matching.

post #62192 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyort1 View Post
 


Yes, laces-socks-shirt matching is really the way to roll.  Just don't do solid colored socks - patterned socks come off much better when doing the laces-socks-shirt matching.


Oh no!!! Horror!!! This means I will just have to go sock shopping. :D Looks like it just can't be helped. Thanks for the good feedback.

post #62193 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSO1 View Post
 


I have a pair of McGregors in Dark Chili Calf (which I happen to be selling, but not because I don't like them) and I have a MacNeil (1.0) in Natural Shell Cordovan. However, the MacNeil 1.0 is being discontinued in favor of the MacNeil 2.0, which is slightly different.

 

In terms of my thoughts on each:

 

McGregor: beautiful pattern, really nice and classy medallion, but a bit of a contradiction - it's a longwing, which is typically a less formal shoe, on a single leather sole with a flat welt, which is typical of a more formal dress shoe. I think it works, but to some it may be a bit odd. You can dress them up, or dress them down. It's available in a wide variety of leathers, and is on a classic AE last - the 65.

 

MacNeil 1.0: classic longwing pattern, with a chunky double sole and a storm welt. The shoe has piping around the eyestays and around the ankle. The pattern is a bit "low" on the shoe, which in certain sizes can look a bit smushed. It also has very noticeable pinking which might be too much. A less formal, more casual shoe. Still available in Burgundy Shell, but other calf colors are being phased out. On the 97 last, which has a more tapered toe than the 65 last. I find that the 1.0 longwing pattern doesn't work as well with the tapered toe of the 97 last.

 

MacNeil 2.0: same classic longwing pattern, with the same chunky double sole and storm welt, but without the 1.0 piping. The pattern is "lifted" on the shoe, and the shoe is still on the 97 last, but with the higher pattern, the shoe appears less cramped, more elegant, and the tapered toe is less noticeable (the shoe overall looks more like the Alden LWB, which is a great thing). They also changed the edge/welt color to more appropriately match the leather color - medium brown with the Dark Chili and Walnut MacNeil 2.0s, which looks fantastic. The 2.0 also has a Poron insole, which makes the shoe a little bit more comfortable. 

 

Overall, I'd say that the MacNeil 2.0 is an upgrade over the 1.0 (although the lack of piping is a minus), and the final decision comes down to which leather color you want, and whether you want a sleeker longwing that can be dressed up or down, or a slightly more casual, traditional "gunboat" style longwing that's a bit less formal.

 

I have noticed several posts lately over the "lack of piping" in some of the new models of classic shoes. This is occurring on less classic shoes like the chili Benton. I, too, thought the piping had been removed and I voiced my opinion this "downgrade" to Mr. Graangard's attention. He responded that the newer piping was thinner, but still there. I checked the web images closely for the 2.0 and, sure enough, the piping was thinner, but present. I then realized my bigger issue was that the newer piping was the same color as the shoe and it just disappears without the contrast. I personally thought the contrasting darker piping really made the shoe pop and the lack just does not have the same effect. Oddly, the burnished walnut version of the Benton still has the contrast and now pops more than the chili.

post #62194 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by smfdoc View Post
 

 

I have noticed several posts lately over the "lack of piping" in some of the new models of classic shoes. This is occurring on less classic shoes like the chili Benton. I, too, thought the piping had been removed and I voiced my opinion this "downgrade" to Mr. Graangard's attention. He responded that the newer piping was thinner, but still there. I checked the web images closely for the 2.0 and, sure enough, the piping was thinner, but present. I then realized my bigger issue was that the newer piping was the same color as the shoe and it just disappears without the contrast. I personally thought the contrasting darker piping really made the shoe pop and the lack just does not have the same effect. Oddly, the burnished walnut version of the Benton still has the contrast and now pops more than the chili.


I have the exact opposite opinion - the piping was one thing I always hated on these models, and now I might consider getting them in the new versions. 

post #62195 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by smfdoc View Post
 


Oh no!!! Horror!!! This means I will just have to go sock shopping. :D Looks like it just can't be helped. Thanks for the good feedback.


You're welcome :)  This is one area where argyle socks are very useful.

post #62196 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo1 View Post


Yeah he does

Youse mugs is too kind! smile.gif
post #62197 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by middlepP View Post

Some in the wild shots... I think the 1st pic is a good representation of their true color. They aren't nearly as yellow/orange as they appear in the 2nd pic (super bright direct sun). Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)





Happy Friday, everyone!
Congratulations! Those seconds look great.

I would use the walnut cream polish sparingly only as over time shoes take on a strong orange hue from the creams pigment. I would recommend neutral cream polish.

Also I think the look would benefit if the denim can be cuffed/hemmed a bit to reduce the amount of break.
post #62198 of 70737

  

post #62199 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by delongej26 View Post
 

PSA. There is a pair of Strands in Walnut Cordovan size 8D on the shoebank for $297.  That is right, $297. These have been at $440, and just dropped in price.  Someone please grab these before I do, my wallet will thank you.  

 

Ah, I cannot stop looking at these!

Well, I finally convinced myself to purchase these, and I guess there was a glitch in the system.  They were never available.  I'm bummed, but my wallet is happy. 

post #62200 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by smfdoc View Post

I previously posted a query to ask opinions about the AE colored laces. As it's a Friday, I popped the blue laces into the walnut Shreveports to match the blue shirt I am wearing with khaki pants. No comments pro or con yet, but what say you AE style mavens? Colored laces, Yay or Nay? Personally, I think they look pretty good and I think I may try others.



Uh......no.
post #62201 of 70737

Out of my longggg ass list, only my black park aves and 3 wide basic belts have come in.  2 more weeks until the walnut strands and merlot mcallisters come in.

 

 

I went psycho on my inspection and even pulled a tape measure out, etc. etc. and these black park aves are literally 99% perfect.  I got lucky as hell considering even firsts can end up looking like they deserve to be seconds.

 

my walnut and merlot belts are a solid 97% perfect, but the black wide basic belt has a loop that is a little outside what i can tolerate since the loop is noticeably larger than the other belt loop near the buckle.  The black belt is going back for an exchange, but the fact the shoes ended up being nearly perfect... man what a win so far.


potato pictures within the spoiler.

 

The caps are indeed equal in the first picture, it's just the fact i didn't put the shoes exactly side to side.

Huge potato quality shoes pics. (Click to show)

 

 

11798299_941902732569124_1015593992_n.jpg?oh=5944694c70906dc18a88135dff80560c&oe=55B53E79

 

11777347_941902685902462_580108877_o.jpg?oh=381ede0cdc5e5155026cf360e148092b&oe=55B50EC4

post #62202 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchidiot View Post

Congratulations! Those seconds look great.

I would use the walnut cream polish sparingly only as over time shoes take on a strong orange hue from the creams pigment. I would recommend neutral cream polish.

Also I think the look would benefit if the denim can be cuffed/hemmed a bit to reduce the amount of break.

As always, thanks a bunch for all the feedback, Watch!

In terms of the Walnut, I agree 100%. I'll mix it in from time to time, but intend to use mostly neutral and bourbon.

Yup, the pants are slightly long. They are usually rolled up once, but I wasn't happy with the look. In my defense, this was while getting ready and I had yet to put on a bet, tuck in shirt, etc.
post #62203 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by HealthActuary View Post
 

Out of my longggg ass list, only my black park aves and 3 wide basic belts have come in.  2 more weeks until the walnut strands and merlot mcallisters come in.

 

 

I went psycho on my inspection and even pulled a tape measure out, etc. etc. and these black park aves are literally 99% perfect.  I got lucky as hell considering even firsts can end up looking like they deserve to be seconds.

 

my walnut and merlot belts are a solid 97% perfect, but the black wide basic belt has a loop that is a little outside what i can tolerate since the loop is noticeably larger than the other belt loop near the buckle.  The black belt is going back for an exchange, but the fact the shoes ended up being nearly perfect... man what a win so far.


potato pictures within the spoiler.

 

The caps are indeed equal in the first picture, it's just the fact i didn't put the shoes exactly side to side

 

For all that obsessing, you sure ain't using the greatest mouse for the money you spent.  Check out the G600 or G700 (if you can live with wireless) - people somehow believe that if a mouse is labeled a "gaming mouse" they can't use it for work, when in reality they're way better than most other stuff out there.  If you really want to splurge, go with Razer's Ouroboros.  I'm no AE expert, but techie junk, that's a totally different story :slayer: Note that I might have recommended the older G9X but Logitech took lessons from AE in this area - take one of the best products available and discontinue it.

post #62204 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo1 View Post
 

For all that obsessing, you sure ain't using the greatest mouse for the money you spent.  Check out the G600 or G700 (if you can live with wireless) - people somehow believe that if a mouse is labeled a "gaming mouse" they can't use it for work, when in reality they're way better than most other stuff out there.  If you really want to splurge, go with Razer's Ouroboros.  I'm no AE expert, but techie junk, that's a totally different story :slayer: Note that I might have recommended the older G9X but Logitech took lessons from AE in this area - take one of the best products available and discontinue it.

LOL.  My performance MX is kinda at about the time of possible replacement...  I'll keep your recommendations noted, seriously. haha.

post #62205 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by RitchieBro View Post


Uh......no.


I appreciate the vote, but later in the day I received two separate enthusiastic, unsolicited, compliments on both the shoes and the laces. This just shows why Baskin Robbins makes 31 flavors.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...