or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 4075  

post #61111 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchidiot View Post


If that's an E I suggest to go up to EEE and go a half size down. That's should reduce the vgap a bit.


Thanks.. Took pics again now.. this is the tighest lace possible for my feet for both these shoes(not very comfy esp FA).

 

post #61112 of 70737

Maiden voyage for the sand suede “Sanibel” loafers last week. I now have seven pairs of AEs (in six months...Thanks guys. Yeeesh!), but NO OTHER pair has gotten as many compliments as these. Ridiculously comfortable, and apparently one of the few 800 Last (Handsewns) made in Port Washington AND can be re-crafted in spite of the non-welted sole—which is awesome ,cause I got these for $69.00 from the hated Burlington Coat Factory store here at Union Square in NYC.

 

Mercy, they're so soft and comfy. Like plush slippers, but sleek and light. Had a woman who barely talks to me at work reach down to touch them. WTF?

 

  

 

Now, the kicker here is that I'd sworn to myself that THIS WAS IT! Six pairs in six months was IT! Lay off until maybe the Fall or something, right? Right?

 

And then...I stopped by the Burlington on 6th Avenue between 22nd & 23rd Streets and saw these...

 

 

How does one NOT pick up a pair of black suede “Graysons”? HOW? These sleek beauties were $139.00 with no visible defects—and you have to check on the ones at Burlington HARD because they'll be three pairs of one style there and if you DON'T look hard, you'll find minor, but obvious once you spot 'em defects that'll just gnaw at you something fierce. These are so damn sleek and comfy. I especially dig how the calf piping around the opening contrasts with the matte suede.

 

Okay...NOW I'll lay off until the Fall. (Right!)

post #61113 of 70737

One more thing—or rather, a FEW more things...

 

There's another pair of snuff suede Graysons at the Burlington Union Square store here in NYC, also for $139.00 in 13D. Magnificent looking! As well as a couple more pairs of Sanibels in 11.5 3E. These are for $69.00. Yeah...I know.

 

Also found these three winners at the Burlington Store on 6th Avenue between 22nd & 23rd Streets in Manhattan—spotted these last night just before closing:

 

 

 

From left to right, snuff suede Gobis—there are two pairs of these there in 12B for $99.00 with the deep salmon Dainite sole.

 

Then there are two pairs of black calf Manchesters in 13A. These are $139.00 each. They are sooooo beautiful!

 

Lastly (pun unintended) are a pair of Light Tan 11.5 suede Big Sur Shortwing Derbys. These have a Toby mini-lug rubber sole, are Goodyear welted on the 511 last and can be re-crafted. Price on 'em? $99.00. Handsome, rustic-looking shoe—part of the old “Rough” collection. Slightly funky contouring on the left shoe's toe cap. I'm guessing old Nordstroms Deadstock on these. They open tomorrow at 9 a.m.

 

Additional goodies are on the Size 13 rack if you have a narrow foot.

post #61114 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterellington View Post

One more thing—or rather, a FEW more things...

There's another pair of snuff suede Graysons at the Burlington Union Square store here in NYC, also for $139.00 in 13D. Magnificent looking! As well as a couple more pairs of Sanibels in 11.5 3E. These are for $69.00. Yeah...I know.

Also found these three winners at the Burlington Store on 6th Avenue between 22nd & 23rd Streets in Manhattan—spotted these last night just before closing:





From left to right, snuff suede Gobis—there are two pairs of these there in 12B for $99.00 with the deep salmon Dainite sole.

Then there are two pairs of black calf Manchesters in 13A. These are $139.00 each. They are sooooo beautiful!

Lastly (pun unintended) are a pair of Light Tan 11.5 suede Big Sur Shortwing Derbys. These have a Toby mini-lug rubber sole, are Goodyear welted on the 511 last and can be re-crafted. Price on 'em? $99.00. Handsome, rustic-looking shoe—part of the old “Rough” collection. Slightly funky contouring on the left shoe's toe cap. I'm guessing old Nordstroms Deadstock on these. They open tomorrow at 9 a.m.

Additional goodies are on the Size 13 rack if you have a narrow foot.
I have size 13 narrow feet. It's a good thing I live 12 hours away, or I'd probably go overboard picking up a few more pairs.
post #61115 of 70737
Someone needs to get that Big Sur. Awesome shoes.

Manchester with an A width - lol. Made me think of that scene in Payback when they smash Mel's toes with a hammer one by one.
post #61116 of 70737
@mreams99, you didn't happen to notice any in size 10.5 3e, did you? That store is not out if the way to the school where I teach. Too bad I won't be going in until September! Should've stopped in once or twice during the school year.
post #61117 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post

@mreams99, you didn't happen to notice any in size 10.5 3e, did you? That store is not out if the way to the school where I teach. Too bad I won't be going in until September! Should've stopped in once or twice during the school year.
This is a question for @misterellington
post #61118 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurso View Post

Hi, I'm new here and this is my first post ever, but I occasionally check out threads to get background information before making purchases. Allen Edmonds just sent me an email that they are having a clearance on their factory seconds, I need a pair of dress shoes and found a pair of rogues for $199. Is that a good value for factory seconds? I know that Allen Edmonds is a bit higher in quality than what my current budget was allowing for, but I'm unsure what the value of the factory seconds are. 
Welcome to the thread. AE factory seconds provide tremendous values as you can get a pair of minimal defects for a deep discounted price. Most defects are hard to identify to most people. However, it can be hit or miss with buying remotely. Best if you have an outlet store near by.

Most of my shoes are seconds, I can look pass the defects pretty easily, they are shoes after all.
post #61119 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheJox View Post
 

So I went a bit overboard and, among the other AE boat shoes, I bought Kirkwoods in both golden brown and dark brown, planning on keeping one and sending one back.  I like them both, though, and I'm not sure which one I like best.  

 

If anyone wanted more pics of the Kirkwood in these two colors, here they are.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Update: decided to keep the dark brown Kirkwoods, as I also had ordered a pair of golden brown Maritimes (and a pair of navy Maritimes).  I also already own a pair of dark brown Sperry boat shoes (bringing my total to 3 boat shoes and 1 pair of beefroll boat loafers).  The Sperrys will be my beater pair.  I'm tempted to just get a pair of dark brown Maritimes as well for once the dark brown Sperrys bite the dust.  I had tried to order some the night the sale was ending but had trouble with the website.  Customer service was very helpful and has offered to sell me a pair at the sale price if I decide I want them.

 

It's not that I plan to wear them all in a constant rotation; however, even with nice boat shoes I predict I will wear them hard, and they may not last long.  The $125 for these two models is easily the best value in boat shoes when it comes to quality/price.

 

For all the minor missteps I feel AE may have made in the past with various strange models/patterns and such, they knocked it out of the park with the Maritime/Kirkwoods.

post #61120 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungSweet View Post


Welcome to the thread. AE factory seconds provide tremendous values as you can get a pair of minimal defects for a deep discounted price. Most defects are hard to identify to most people. However, it can be hit or miss with buying remotely. Best if you have an outlet store near by.

Most of my shoes are seconds, I can look pass the defects pretty easily, they are shoes after all.

 

To go with YoungSweet's post, I will offer that of my ~15 pairs of AE shoes/boots (not including the several new pairs of boat shoes I've been going on and on about), 2 are firsts and the rest are seconds.  My firsts include a pair of brown Delrays I will be selling (since I already have brown Lasalles) and a pair of Shaker Heights I got on amazon for $160.  

 

Of all my seconds, the worst "defect" is a slightly askew toebox stitching on my tan RL Sandersons, but it doesn't stop me from wearing them all the time.  I find that with boots, the common seconds "defect" is usually poor clicking/slightly "wrinkled" leather along the medial aspect of the panel that covers your medial malleolus and above.  It's something that no one will ever see when you're wearing pants, unless maybe if you're sitting down, your pants ride up, and you turn your foot outwards to show someone.  So, basically a non-issue.  For the rest of my non-boot seconds, most of them I have tried and tried to find the defect and have failed.  I think on one pair of walnut shoes, there was a little bit of "fading" in the color around the throat of the shoe - and I added a bit of Cognac polish (AE doesn't sell it anymore, but it's closer to Walnut than the Walnut polish is) and fixed it forever.

 

I know others have had some not-so-great results with a few pairs of seconds (striping is a common problem with bourbon and maybe oxblood shoes) . . . maybe I am just much less picky or perceptive (although I'd like to think that, as a Dermatologist, I have a pretty good eye for detail).  Either way, chances are if you're someone who is "moving up" to AE/AE seconds, you're not the kind of person who will vehemently protest the QC and expect $1000 quality at $200 pricing.

 

Good luck!

post #61121 of 70737
I am thinking of picking up a pair or two of rubber soled shoes to wear in business casual environment that includes wool trousers and khakis. I was thinking of Ashton, Black Hills, Wilbert, or Clark Street. Input from those of you that have these shoes is appreciated. The contrast stitching on the last two worry me a little.
post #61122 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna75 View Post

No one should ever say a dalton and long branch fit the same...cause they don't and that is a fact not an opinion and I don't care what shape the person's foot is. Long branch has more volume.

I have 8E in my walnut shell Daltons and they are perfect, even though I wear 8.5D in almost everything else, including my Long Branches (tan Dublin).

Hard to compare though because the Daltons are unlined shell with a flat welt and the long branch are lined dublin with a reverse welt.
post #61123 of 70737
Got a quick question on polishing brown Jeffersons. I recently bought these during the sale and like all new shoe prep I applied AE Polish and then a coat of saphir. unfortunately I didn't get the usual shine I do with smooth leather, any thoughts?
post #61124 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc808314 View Post

I am thinking of picking up a pair or two of rubber soled shoes to wear in business casual environment that includes wool trousers and khakis. I was thinking of Ashton, Black Hills, Wilbert, or Clark Street. Input from those of you that have these shoes is appreciated. The contrast stitching on the last two worry me a little.

 

I bought a pair of Wilbert seconds recently in outland brown, and now have ordered a dark brown pair.  They are one of if not AE's top selling / most popular casuals.  

 

Of your 4 choices...

the 678 last Ashton and 511 last Wilbert are my preferences, as they are both slightly wider than the 65 last Black Hills and 108 last Clark Street.

 

If you have tried any of these lasts, the foot-shape differences are significant enough between these 4 shoes that fitment should be considered even before your visual preference imo.

 

That said, I think the Ashton would be the best choice with wool trousers of the 4.

post #61125 of 70737
I'm late to the party for the seconds sale. Most of the really good deals are gone (belts, Gobis, Daltons, etc are gone.) The Jeffersons for $197 is an incredible deal (and my favorite shoe). Get in fast.


Anyway, I have a pair a waxy gray McTavish wingtips. What do these match? Could I add some red polish to make them more like oxblood? (Can I even polish rough collection shoes?)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...