or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 4046  

post #60676 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptFinny View Post
 

 

Do bags and briefcases normally go on sale at the outlets?  I only ask because the Park Ave Slim looks like a killer deal, but I really want the Park Ave Flap Briefcase.  Just curious if it might go on sale again later.  I doubt I'll ever make it to an outlet store to see these beauties in person.

I'm really not sure as bag sales don't seem to be advertised and stock isn't posted online.  I remember a while back some posters reporting getting Neumok bags for some crazy low price (like $39 or something).  Those were gone when I called.  It seems like they are more of a one-off thing; if they happen to have one laying around a while they just deeply discount it to clear stock.  Your best bet would be to call a trusted associate at an outlet and just ask what is typically done for bags/sales.  That, or just call every outlet every few months to see what they have (to my knowledge they can't reliably look up the entire country's inventory at a single location as with shoes, etc.).

post #60677 of 70737

I have a question regarding the McTavish wingtips...

 

Would adding the V-Tread sole be odd on this shoe considering it already has the double leather sole?

post #60678 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by smfdoc View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefox View Post
 

I haven't been keeping up on the latest AE shoes, but when I was in a store the other day, I saw some that I don't think I've seen before.

 

My favourite AE shoe (and the one that gets the most wear) are my Chili Delrays. I work in a business-casual environment, and I find they are very versatile. They work with dress pants and a button-down shirt, or jeans and a polo shirt on casual Fridays. I can even get by wearing them with a mid-grey suit (although I typically wear different shoes with a suit). I really would like to get another pair of AE one of these days, but would want something equally versatile (and not too dressy). Part of me thinks that maybe I should just get another pair of Delrays in a different colour. Any opinions? 

 

I have heard some be critical of buying the same shoe in two different colors. Reading this forum, however, would certainly argue otherwise. There was a SF member a few pages back in this same thread who had 6 pairs of boots and was buying his seventh pair, all in some shade of brown! From a practical perspective, some people, like me, are hard to fit and we tend to purchase several colors of the same shoe. I would say that unless there is pressing reason NOT to have the a second color, it is perfectly fine, despite what some others might say.

 

Well if you want to keep it similar you can always go with the Bradley...same versatility as the Delray and as everyone will attest is much more beautiful in person than in the AE pictures.

 

Also you get get sized in the Benton which I think is an amazingly versatile shoe(full disclosure I dont own it) then when it goes on sale order it with a sole change for an extra $40..or if you have a great SA they often will give you a 10-20% discount on a shoe as a good customer then your sole change is paid for.

 

Lexington on clearance is a versatile option

post #60679 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderedsouth View Post
 

I have a question regarding the McTavish wingtips...

 

Would adding the V-Tread sole be odd on this shoe considering it already has the double leather sole?

I do not know if I have a double sole V-tread but if they will do it I think it is fine

post #60680 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster Brown View Post


Chili Delrays were my first pair of AEs and still the ones I reach for most often. I've bought several AEs since then and nothing has proven quite so versatile. The closest might be my Bleecker Streets (in Bob's Chili). Let us know what you come up with!

@Firefox, I agree with Buster! Bleekers in Bob's chili are pretty versatile, especially for your needs. I use my bourbon Kenilworths in a similar fashion: jeans to business casual to a suit w/ out at tie (in a pinch or when traveling for work).

post #60681 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderedsouth View Post
 

I have a question regarding the McTavish wingtips...

 

Would adding the V-Tread sole be odd on this shoe considering it already has the double leather sole?


V-Treads can be added by any competent cobbler after you get them.  The main thing is that they use the cement method and don't stitch it on.  I've done this with several pair of AE shoes since here in Colorado you might suddenly find yourself walking in snow, unexpectedly.  Particularly during spring.

 

I find that wearing the shoes with leather soles for a while helps break them in faster/better vs having the rubber attached from the factory.  So I wear mine for a few weeks, then it's a trip to Dardano's for a V-Tread addition.  It gives you all the benefits of a leather sole, in terms of custom form fit, plus the additional weather protection of rubber.

post #60682 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefox View Post
 

I haven't been keeping up on the latest AE shoes, but when I was in a store the other day, I saw some that I don't think I've seen before.

 

My favourite AE shoe (and the one that gets the most wear) are my Chili Delrays. I work in a business-casual environment, and I find they are very versatile. They work with dress pants and a button-down shirt, or jeans and a polo shirt on casual Fridays. I can even get by wearing them with a mid-grey suit (although I typically wear different shoes with a suit). I really would like to get another pair of AE one of these days, but would want something equally versatile (and not too dressy). Part of me thinks that maybe I should just get another pair of Delrays in a different colour. Any opinions? 

 

Given your affinity for the Chili Delrays, I would def buy another pair in different material. A darker pair could be just as versatile and provide some rotation relief for the chili pair.

post #60683 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirling View Post
 

I have to say the service really was wonderful.  I must also say that people need to stay away from shell cordovan because it's strongly addictive.

 

Regards,

Jon

 

My experience with AE customer service has also been outstanding. Several of us have tried to warn others about the addiction of shell, usually to no avail. A bit more than 2 years ago englade321 did an outstanding job of it IMO: 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by englade321 View Post

I just came over here looking for info @ some shoes im interested in and i find you guys messing around with SHELL CORDOVAN . Do you guys have any idea how dangerous that stuff is ! You can never have enough . If you fret about spending $300 on shoes now you aint seen nothing. Mess with that stuff and you'll find yourself dropping $750 a pop and you'll be looking at another pair you gotta have while they'r still in the mail Dont take my word for it. Go lurk around the alden thread . Those poor guys got problems . Not only is the stuff outrageously priced .Its hard to find . Just when you realize you cant live without that pair of color4 captoe boots w/commando soles you find they'r all sold out and the manufacturer dosen't when if ever they will ever be made again . This is no way to live . You just stay away from that stuff you be a lot happier and certainly a lot wealthier . Dont say you wern't warned
post #60684 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelescrest View Post

Help please before I go broke...I just discovered AE shoes--I walked into their store a week ago and was blown away (I've never bought a high quality dress shoe).  And in one week I've already just ordered my third pair.

Walnut Strands, Strandmok Suedes, and Gobi in Tan Saddle.  The latter I'm hoping I made a good choice over the snuff suede and navy, it was a hard choice.  I love suede, but Tan Saddle seemed like it would work with more outfits.

Since discovering great shoes, how the hell did you stop the addiction? 

LOL, the only way to cure the AE addiction is to move into harder drugs: Alden, Vass, Carmina, Crockett and Jones...
post #60685 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post


LOL, the only way to cure the AE addiction is to move into harder drugs: Alden, Vass, Carmina, Crockett and Jones...

 

So, are you saying AE is a gateway shoe?

post #60686 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by smfdoc View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post


LOL, the only way to cure the AE addiction is to move into harder drugs: Alden, Vass, Carmina, Crockett and Jones...

 

So, are you saying AE is a gateway shoe?

 

Stay away from Boots all together....that is what killed me.

post #60687 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by smfdoc View Post
 

 

So, are you saying AE is a gateway shoe?

LMAO...it is true, I think, because I started looking at the UK websites.  Thankfully some of them didn't have the models I was interested in in my wider size...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna75 View Post
 

 

Stay away from Boots all together....that is what killed me.

Too late!  I just ordered my first today (that was the third).  Maybe I'm done for.  

post #60688 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyort1 View Post
 

V-Treads can be added by any competent cobbler after you get them.  The main thing is that they use the cement method and don't stitch it on.  I've done this with several pair of AE shoes since here in Colorado you might suddenly find yourself walking in snow, unexpectedly.  Particularly during spring.

 

I find that wearing the shoes with leather soles for a while helps break them in faster/better vs having the rubber attached from the factory.  So I wear mine for a few weeks, then it's a trip to Dardano's for a V-Tread addition.  It gives you all the benefits of a leather sole, in terms of custom form fit, plus the additional weather protection of rubber.

 

Thanks for replying but this is straying from what I was after. I'll try to be more clear:

 

The McTavish has a thick double leather sole. Would adding the V-Tread sole to this look or feel strange?

 

It's an available option so I guess it's ok but I wondered if anyone here had an opinion on this.

post #60689 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Iron View Post
 

 

My experience with AE customer service has also been outstanding. Several of us have tried to warn others about the addiction of shell, usually to no avail. A bit more than 2 years ago englade321 did an outstanding job of it IMO: 

 

 

 

Yeah I could have used these warnings about 29 pairs of shoes and 2 years ago... :rotflmao:

 

 

 

Not that I would have listened. I have been eyeing the 8D walnut shell (likely natural) Strands at the shoebank for days now hoping someone would just buy them already. I am this close to pulling the trigger and selling something off to justify it. I don't even wear my brown shell Strands all that much but the rarity and less formal color has me really considering it. Cordovan hunting is an addicting game.

post #60690 of 70737

Guys.. I see 2 belts - Poplar Dress (32mm) and Wide Basic Dress (35mm). Which is better with a suit and dress pants? I prefer 35mm buckle. Will all suits fit the 35mm belts?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...