or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 4029  

post #60421 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count de Monet View Post

4. Generally, not all lasts of a manufacturer will work for you. I don't recall the last of the Clifton. It may be you were simply mis-sized. However, it is possible the Clifton just won't work for your foot.

Good luck.

Lots of good advice in this post and the others relating to it. The Clifton is on the 8 last and I could not get it to work for my foot either. I tried every permutation possible but in the end it was a no go for me and the Clifton. Yet others have said the 8 is their favorite last, it all depends on the individual and your feet.

post #60422 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Iron View Post

Lots of good advice in this post and the others relating to it. The Clifton is on the 8 last and I could not get it to work for my foot either. I tried every permutation possible but in the end it was a no go for me and the Clifton. Yet others have said the 8 is their favorite last, it all depends on the individual and your feet.

If I could afford to have the Cliftonville is every color/material I would. Sleak enough withour being poncified? Classic design.
post #60423 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by stro View Post
 

looks like the 8 last... zoom in on the picture and you can see the 4 digits on the inside. the last digit usually corresponds to the last, at least in my experience so far in non-JAB styles. (i've heard the 7 last tossed about for the JAB boardroom, and the last digit in that picture is the 7, so there's some additional tentative support)

 

Thanks, have no experience with 8 lasts.. will try the store or order and check it out.

post #60424 of 70737

I think the 8 last is one of the better looking of the AE lasts. Unfortunately, it has a lot of instep room and does not work well for my feet. I did have a pair of Nathan's for a while that got a lot of wear, but they werent ideal and eventually moved on.

post #60425 of 70737

from the webgems - Anyone see the Janus CF STead Olive suede in person? The old olive was actually olive with green in it - this olive appears to be that brown olive.

 

I think the loafers are great looking too....

post #60426 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count de Monet View Post

Well, it does help some but usually not enough to make an uncomfortable fit become comfortable.

With AE shoes there is usually a cork footbed. Wearing the shoe for a while lets your foot sink into the bed slightly, as it forms around your foot. This essentially shrinks your foot volume slightly. With oxfords one might notice the pieces through which the laces pass will close together better as the shoe breaks in.

The other thing is that as the sole gets more flexible after break in, heel slippage should decrease some since the whole shoe will flex as your heel hits the ground and your foot rolls forward.

By the way, even with shoes that fit well, another reason to break them in on carpet is that getting this sole flex working before you hit the streets will decrease the chance of scrapping the toe edge of the shoe.

Solid advice here.
post #60427 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count de Monet View Post


Well, it does help some but usually not enough to make an uncomfortable fit become comfortable.

With AE shoes there is usually a cork footbed. Wearing the shoe for a while lets your foot sink into the bed slightly, as it forms around your foot. This essentially shrinks your foot volume slightly. With oxfords one might notice the pieces through which the laces pass will close together better as the shoe breaks in.

The other thing is that as the sole gets more flexible after break in, heel slippage should decrease some since the whole shoe will flex as your heel hits the ground and your foot rolls forward.

By the way, even with shoes that fit well, another reason to break them in on carpet is that getting this sole flex working before you hit the streets will decrease the chance of scrapping the toe edge of the shoe.

In some of your other posts you have said you had an issue with high arches - curious as to what you would consider your "go-to" last if you have one.  I generally go by four "categories", in this order - 1.) Last; 2.) Loafer vs. Lace-up; 3.) Material; and finally 4.) Balmoral vs. Blucher as applicable.  What would you consider to be a good lace-up, and same for a loafer?  I have tried almost all of the AE lasts in the categories that I mentioned (not all of them, but working on it), and was wondering if you would share your experience.  Thanks -

post #60428 of 70737

hey all, quick question. I bought a pair of Park ave seconds in my typical size. The uppers and general welt job all look spectacular, could pass as firsts easy. I think the only problem is in the right footbed, there is a pronounced lift at the arch, like too much cork was applied under there? As I haven't given it a test run and have only worn them on carpeted floors, It's too early to tell if this will cause constant discomfort or if it will flatten down over time.

 

Anyone who received a pair with this problem have experience?

post #60429 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk321 View Post

hey all, quick question. I bought a pair of Park ave seconds in my typical size. The uppers and general welt job all look spectacular, could pass as firsts easy. I think the only problem is in the right footbed, there is a pronounced lift at the arch, like too much cork was applied under there? As I haven't given it a test run and have only worn them on carpeted floors, It's too early to tell if this will cause constant discomfort or if it will flatten down over time.

Anyone who received a pair with this problem have experience?

Yep returned them, take a block of wood and wrap it in a sock, place it over the hump and hit with a hammer.....I did this with a heel hump and it did not work....

I assumed then if it was cork it has no where to go and would not get better or some other manufactoring mistake
post #60430 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick30 View Post

I need Help!!! So I bought my first pair of AEs about a week ago. I got the Cliftons in Black. They were on sale for 240.00 and to be honest I didn't even know they were Allen Edmonds. I simply wanted a nice black dress sho, saw them and liked them. I wore them for the first time today to a unexpected funeral. Man did they feel uncomfortable. So I have a few questions. How can I truly tell " if the shoe fits". There's plenty of room in the toe area. But it feels really snug on the top part of my foot by the lacing. Snug enough to were it was uncomfortable unless I was walking. Then the part of the shoe on the inside party of the foot by the heal almost seemed too big. The shoe started sticking out and it looked ugly. So my heal was so sore when I get home. So yes this is as confusing as it sounds. Parts of it seem to fit, parts seem too big and parts seem to small! And uncomfortable. I don't get it . I'm bummed because I really like the shoe.

 

Patrick, as others have said, breaking in the shoe usually allows it to loosen a bit and the heel tp fit more snugly in the heel cup. I would not expect much benefit from wearing them more. If anything, it will decrease your ability to return the shoes to Nordstrom. In my experience, they need to fit originally and then they will be come more comfortable with wearing. Wearing the shoe would rarely make an ill fitting shoe suddenly better.

 

As for your feet, you have the same fit issues I have, and that is a high instep to where many models are tight across the top of the foot, just below the bottom of the laces. I have found my only real choice, is to a) make sure I purchase the open laces like the Clifton, as opposed to the closed laces of a Park Ave. shoe. The second thing is to know that not every last (foot mold) used by companies are the same. AE has numerous lasts described on their site. I have found the 201 last, 97 last, and 678 last to work best for my foot issues. Your mileage may vary. The shoes that have worked well for me are the Rogue and the Benton.

 

So, I recommend you return the shoes, get sized by either AE people OR a really experienced person, and then order some shoes. If they do not fit well at first, I would return them and adjust things until you find the right combination for your feet. remember, AE shoes can be recrafted and can last for many, many years. The life of the shoe it way too long to endure a bad fit. Finally, welcome to the club of people who never cared about shoes and suddenly do. Two months ago I have two pairs of average shoes and now I have 5 AE pairs. I feel your pain.

post #60431 of 70737
So does the Walnut Strand actually work with a medium grey suit or is it just a fad that truly doesn't actually look good? I can't tell . I was at the mall today and tried on the aforementioned shoe. I fell in love. The look, the fit it was great. Problem is I just can't figure out what to wear it with!? I've saw this talked about in other threads and was just trying to revisit it before I make a decision. I never got my brown shoe but might just get this One instead. I know it's not as versatile but is gorgeous and comfortable. Anyone have any pics with the Walnut Strand paired with a grey suit?
post #60432 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick30 View Post

So does the Walnut Strand actually work with a medium grey suit or is it just a fad that truly doesn't actually look good? I can't tell . I was at the mall today and tried on the aforementioned shoe. I fell in love. The look, the fit it was great. Problem is I just can't figure out what to wear it with!? I've saw this talked about in other threads and was just trying to revisit it before I make a decision. I never got my brown shoe but might just get this One instead. I know it's not as versatile but is gorgeous and comfortable. Anyone have any pics with the Walnut Strand paired with a grey suit?
It'll look smashing with mid and light grey. IMO, the best color combo to pair with AE walnut. Or chili, for that matter.

Walnut with dark navy, however, is not my cup of tea.
post #60433 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo1 View Post
 

In some of your other posts you have said you had an issue with high arches - curious as to what you would consider your "go-to" last if you have one.  I generally go by four "categories", in this order - 1.) Last; 2.) Loafer vs. Lace-up; 3.) Material; and finally 4.) Balmoral vs. Blucher as applicable.  What would you consider to be a good lace-up, and same for a loafer?  I have tried almost all of the AE lasts in the categories that I mentioned (not all of them, but working on it), and was wondering if you would share your experience.  Thanks -

 

Sure.  I do have a high instep, though my arch isn't particularly out of the ordinary. 

 

I don't think I have a "go to" last.  I'm a 10.5E in almost every AE or RLxAE shoe I have, though in the 5 last in an oxford the guys at the AE store tell me I'm a perfect "E and a half."  5 last oxfords in E have always been comfortable out of the box (with the exception of a Strand that needed a little stretching) though the "V" after lacing would not be SF approved.  My Cambridges are EE.  They close up better but are a tad loose.  In a 5 blucher, my Black Hills (seconds) fit great.

 

I love LWB's in several brands.  I'd say my best overall fit regardless of shoe type and brand is an an Macneil in 10.5E.  Second are my Carmina LWB's on the Detroit last, supposedly a UK EE or US E.

 

My Long Branches are fantastic 511 last bluchers.  I have no ox/bal dress boots.

 

The most surprising decent fit I have is the RL Sanderson by AE.  Supposedly on the 222 last.  It has a long snoot so people think it is more narrow than it is.  Whatever reason, it tolerates my instep ok, though not as well as other lasts.  But it isn't torture.

 

I don't own any 8 last shoes but I've tried blucher versions on, like the Clark Street, and they seem to fit well. 

 

So to sum up, for "classic collection" sorts of dress oxfords, they're almost all in the 5 last so I make do with an E or EE.  Bluchers work better and the 5, 8, and 1 all seem to work fine.

 

The only AE loafers that have ever fit me are both discontinued: my shell McGraws on the 4 last ( a tad loose) and the snugger RL Singletons.  I need a horn to get them on but they fit perfectly.  

post #60434 of 70737

In the midst of everyone trying to get the maritime/Kirkwood, anyone look at the clearance section of the AE website recently?  What is up with that - are they really discontinuing all of that or is this just for some upcoming sale?  I missed out on the Hyde Street and it looks like they're getting rid of both the Ascher and the Patriot - that was the best last for me (apart from the 222).  Why does this always happen :(

post #60435 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo1 View Post
 

In the midst of everyone trying to get the maritime/Kirkwood, anyone look at the clearance section of the AE website recently?  What is up with that - are they really discontinuing all of that or is this just for some upcoming sale?  I missed out on the Hyde Street and it looks like they're getting rid of both the Ascher and the Patriot - that was the best last for me (apart from the 222).  Why does this always happen :(

 

It's just the Oxblood Ascher. I feel your pain though. Patriot is my favorite loafer hands down. Sad to see it go. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...