or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 4028  

post #60406 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanagi View Post


Nathan is the Fifth Avenue on the 108 last instead of the 65 last. Burgundy is not dark chili; it's a dark red with no orange tones. If you have a wider forefoot and no experience with 108, I'd suggest trying on 108 in person before buying.


Thanks.. Usually wear 10D in every other shoe. For AE I found 9.5E more comfortable in Park Avenue lasts 5. Since JosB doesn't have E width, I'm thinking to order 10D and return if doesn't fit. Also, how much do you think burgundy is different than Dark Chili for a Navy suit?

post #60407 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy View Post


Thanks.. Usually wear 10D in every other shoe. For AE I found 9.5E more comfortable in Park Avenue lasts 5. Since JosB doesn't have E width, I'm thinking to order 10D and return if doesn't fit. Also, how much do you think burgundy is different than Dark Chili for a Navy suit?

Burgundy fits navy as well as chili or better even. It's very versatile with dark blues and dark grays.
post #60408 of 70737
I need Help!!! So I bought my first pair of AEs about a week ago. I got the Cliftons in Black. They were on sale for 240.00 and to be honest I didn't even know they were Allen Edmonds. I simply wanted a nice black dress sho, saw them and liked them. I wore them for the first time today to a unexpected funeral. Man did they feel uncomfortable. So I have a few questions. How can I truly tell " if the shoe fits". There's plenty of room in the toe area. But it feels really snug on the top part of my foot by the lacing. Snug enough to were it was uncomfortable unless I was walking. Then the part of the shoe on the inside party of the foot by the heal almost seemed too big. The shoe started sticking out and it looked ugly. So my heal was so sore when I get home. So yes this is as confusing as it sounds. Parts of it seem to fit, parts seem too big and parts seem to small! And uncomfortable. I don't get it . I'm bummed because I really like the shoe.
post #60409 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanagi View Post


Burgundy fits navy as well as chili or better even. It's very versatile with dark blues and dark grays.

Thanks.. what do you think about light blues? No chance of Burgundy or Black? Something like this suit

post #60410 of 70737
Either would be fine with that suit (and a superior choice to what is in the ad).
post #60411 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmss View Post

"Your shoes will be fine. That's how welting on all rubber outsoles that aren't cemented to an insole look."

Please elaborate bit more didn't understand.

Would the stitches loose or wear out ? and sole detach?

No for three reasons:

1) Goodyear welting uses "lock stitch" sewing, which employs two thread strands to ensure integrity of the seam even if an individual stitch fails.

2) the threads are coated with hot wax as they are sewn. This further seals the stitch.

3) the layer of hot cork that is spread between the insole and the outsole acts as an adhesive

If your sole starts to peel off before its worn out, just call AE. They'll fix it for you for free.
post #60412 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post


No for three reasons:

1) Goodyear welting uses "lock stitch" sewing, which employs two thread strands to ensure integrity of the seam even if an individual stitch fails.

2) the threads are coated with hot wax as they are sewn. This further seals the stitch.

3) the layer of hot cork that is spread between the insole and the outsole acts as an adhesive

If your sole starts to peel off before its worn out, just call AE. They'll fix it for you for free.

Thanks for the explanation! 

post #60413 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick30 View Post

I need Help!!! So I bought my first pair of AEs about a week ago. I got the Cliftons in Black. They were on sale for 240.00 and to be honest I didn't even know they were Allen Edmonds. I simply wanted a nice black dress sho, saw them and liked them. I wore them for the first time today to a unexpected funeral. Man did they feel uncomfortable. So I have a few questions. How can I truly tell " if the shoe fits". There's plenty of room in the toe area. But it feels really snug on the top part of my foot by the lacing. Snug enough to were it was uncomfortable unless I was walking. Then the part of the shoe on the inside party of the foot by the heal almost seemed too big. The shoe started sticking out and it looked ugly. So my heal was so sore when I get home. So yes this is as confusing as it sounds. Parts of it seem to fit, parts seem too big and parts seem to small! And uncomfortable. I don't get it . I'm bummed because I really like the shoe.
Getting fitted from an AE store would probably be best to know if you get the right size. Did you happen to purchase the shoes from nordstrom? Nordstrom has a fairly easy return policy if they sold you something that didn't fit correctly. I recall someone mentioned here that it's up to 6 months. Maybe it was David Copeland smile.gif
Unlike other shoes, it will take a few wear to break in the shoes. Maybe you can wear them on carpet for a few hours at home to see if they get better. Again if they don't fit right, they just don't fit right, you know your feet best.
post #60414 of 70737
I did get them from Nordtrom but wore them to a funeral yesterday ...it's just weird because parts of the shoe seem to really fit like I wouldn't want them any bigger. Like around the heal there's more then enough space to the point where the inside heal sticks out. Plenty of room by toe . So I can't imagine going up a size . Maybe I'm a E and not a D? I never even thought of it. At the store it was comfortable so I bought it. When you say " Break them in" what exactly does that do? Losses the leather? Is it supposed to make them a little less tight ?
post #60415 of 70737
The fact you are now wondering whether perhaps you needed a wider size reminds me of a fact of which you are likely aware: most department stores stock D widths and little else. Nordstrom is a little better but not a lot.

Being fitted in such a store means that if your foot is too wide for comfort, they'll simply keep increasing the length until the width is comfortable. That's not the way to do it.

Most of these "retail partners" can order any width you need from AE but they are prone to want to close the deal while you are in the store.

The good news for you is that Nordstrum has a relatively liberal return policy. I would suggest they order in for you one or more widths different from what you bought.

If I'm not mixing you up with someone else, perhaps your experience with dress shoes is a bit limited. Is so, these are some tips to remember.

1. A new shoe should be "comfortably snug" right there in the store. It isn't going to loosen up much after you break it in.

2. Still, it is a good idea to wear it on carpet a bit at home just in case you decide it doesn't fit as well as you first thought in the store. Returns are less of a hassle if the soles are still pristine.

3. The widest part of your foot should match the widest part of the shoe.

4. Generally, not all lasts of a manufacturer will work for you. I don't recall the last of the Clifton. It may be you were simply mis-sized. However, it is possible the Clifton just won't work for your foot.

Good luck.
Edited by Count de Monet - 6/15/15 at 9:10am
post #60416 of 70737
Patrick - it sounds like the last isn't good for you. Nordstrom SAs are really nice but the stores just don't carry enough styles. Go to the AE store and try on a bunch of different styles, starting with the 65 and 333. What you described doesn't sound strange at all - sounds like you might have arch troubles. Going to an E will ruin the heel altogether from what it sounds like.
post #60417 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungSweet View Post

Getting fitted from an AE store would probably be best to know if you get the right size. Did you happen to purchase the shoes from nordstrom? Nordstrom has a fairly easy return policy if they sold you something that didn't fit correctly. I recall someone mentioned here that it's up to 6 months. Maybe it was David Copeland smile.gif
Unlike other shoes, it will take a few wear to break in the shoes. Maybe you can wear them on carpet for a few hours at home to see if they get better. Again if they don't fit right, they just don't fit right, you know your feet best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count de Monet View Post

The fact you are now wondering whether perhaps you needed a wider size reminds me of a fact of which you are likely aware: most department stores stock D widths and little else. Nordstrom is a little better but not a lot.

Being fitted in such a store means that if your foot is too wide for comfort, they'll simply keep increasing the length until the width is comfortable. That's not the way to do it.

Most of these "retail partners" can order any width you need from AE but they are prone to want to close the deal while you are in the store.

The good news for you is that Nordstrum has a relatively liberal return policy. I would suggest they order in for you one or more widths different from what you bought.

If I'm not mixing you up with someone else, perhaps your experience with dress shoes is a bit limited. Is so, these are some tips to remember.

1. A new shoe should be "comfortably snug" right there in the store. It isn't going to loosen up much after you break it in.

2. Still, it is a good idea to wear it on carpet a bit at home just in case you decide it doesn't fit as well as you first thought in the store. Returns are less of a hassle if the soles are still pristine.

3. The widest part of your foot should match the widest part of the shoe.

4. Generally, not all lasts of a manufacturer will work for you. I don't recall the last of the Clifton. It may be you were simply mis-sized. However, it is possible the Clifton just won't work for your foot.

Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count de Monet View Post

The fact you are now wondering whether perhaps you needed a wider size reminds me of a fact of which you are likely aware: most department stores stock D widths and little else. Nordstrom is a little better but not a lot.

Being fitted in such a store means that if your foot is too wide for comfort, they'll simply keep increasing the length until the width is comfortable. That's not the way to do it.

Most of these "retail partners" can order any width you need from AE but they are prone to want to close the deal while you are in the store.

The good news for you is that Nordstrum has a relatively liberal return policy. I would suggest they order in for you one or more widths different from what you bought.

If I'm not mixing you up with someone else, perhaps your experience with dress shoes is a bit limited. Is so, these are some tips to remember.

1. A new shoe should be "comfortably snug" right there in the store. It isn't going to loosen up much after you break it in.

2. Still, it is a good idea to wear it on carpet a bit at home just in case you decide it doesn't fit as well as you first thought in the store. Returns are less of a hassle if the soles are still pristine.

3. The widest part of your foot should match the widest part of the shoe.

4. Generally, not all lasts of a manufacturer will work for you. I don't recall the last of the Clifton. It may be you were simply mis-sized. However, it is possible the Clifton just won't work for your foot.

Good luck.
yes I'm very new to purchasing and caring about a nice dress shoe. This was the first real dress shoe I purchased. I've also been posting lately about want a brown shoe. It's weird I never cared before now I'm obsessed. I really like the Clifton and I never realized there were so many different versions of the same size . The option ( like you said) wasn't given to me from the salesperson. I don't really have a AE store by me. So if breaking them in doesn't really "losen" them up what does it do?
post #60418 of 70737

Reached for the calf Singletons due to the hot, steamy weather:

 

5lvVPcF.jpg

post #60419 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick30 View Post



yes I'm very new to purchasing and caring about a nice dress shoe. This was the first real dress shoe I purchased. I've also been posting lately about want a brown shoe. It's weird I never cared before now I'm obsessed. I really like the Clifton and I never realized there were so many different versions of the same size . The option ( like you said) wasn't given to me from the salesperson. I don't really have a AE store by me. So if breaking them in doesn't really "losen" them up what does it do?

Well, it does help some but usually not enough to make an uncomfortable fit become comfortable.

With AE shoes there is usually a cork footbed. Wearing the shoe for a while lets your foot sink into the bed slightly, as it forms around your foot. This essentially shrinks your foot volume slightly. With oxfords one might notice the pieces through which the laces pass will close together better as the shoe breaks in.

The other thing is that as the sole gets more flexible after break in, heel slippage should decrease some since the whole shoe will flex as your heel hits the ground and your foot rolls forward.

By the way, even with shoes that fit well, another reason to break them in on carpet is that getting this sole flex working before you hit the streets will decrease the chance of scrapping the toe edge of the shoe.
post #60420 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy View Post
 


Thanks.. is the Nathan Burgandy is the Dark Chili of AE Fifth Ave? http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop/Product_11001_10050_299318


Hi guys.. does anyone know what's the last of these shoes? where can I find that info?

 

http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop/Product_11001_10050_299318

looks like the 8 last... zoom in on the picture and you can see the 4 digits on the inside. the last digit usually corresponds to the last, at least in my experience so far in non-JAB styles. (i've heard the 7 last tossed about for the JAB boardroom, and the last digit in that picture is the 7, so there's some additional tentative support)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...