Its not just you, buddy
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAllen Edmondstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Malvern Boottagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Wilbert Lace-Uptagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryBootstagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShell Cordovantagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Murlsquirl, 4/3/15
Related Forum Threads
- The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread Last post on Yesterday at 3:37 pm in Classic Menswear
- Size 9 Shoes: Grenson Tassel Loafers and Tommy Hilfiger Oxford Boots Last post on 11/27/11 at 5:58pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on Yesterday at 4:43 am in Classic Menswear
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E $2,200 Last post on 9/13/15 at 2:32am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
Last edited: 2/9/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Allen Edmond Park Avenue sizingLast edited: 1/27/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOsLast edited: 5/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 3985post #59762 of 707375/23/15 at 7:43pmbeen having difficulty trying to size myself for a pair of loafer, went to my local brooks brothers to try on some AEs and they have their own variations of the randolph and patriot. I found going true to size (10D) to have major heel slippage, going to a 9D too tight in the toebox with minor heel slippage, and down to a 9.5E causing heel slippage again. Does the heel slippage get better as the leather softens or only ever worse?
I was hoping to get a good deal from shoebank on some AE loafers but it looks like ill have to branch out to other brandspost #59763 of 707375/23/15 at 8:02pmQuote:
I have the 25-cubbie version of this as well. Putting it together isn't the problem, it's all of the drawers and doors they sell as inserts. I still have 10+ boxes of those inserts that have been waiting 4 years to get built and put in. Perhaps I can avoid that by filling it with shoes?post #59764 of 707375/23/15 at 9:05pmQuote:
This was my previous strategy, it's gonna be tougher to explain new pairs now when they arrive haha.post #59765 of 707375/24/15 at 3:42ampost #59766 of 707375/24/15 at 7:02ampost #59767 of 707375/24/15 at 8:20ampost #59768 of 707375/24/15 at 8:44ampost #59769 of 707375/24/15 at 8:48ampost #59770 of 707375/24/15 at 8:53ampost #59771 of 707375/24/15 at 9:41amQuote:
Yep. $244 or so in the current sale. If you can't get the size you want from Nordstrom, your favorite AE retail SA should be able to order it for you and price match it.post #59772 of 707375/24/15 at 9:53ampost #59773 of 707375/24/15 at 11:31amQuote:
On this issue of "looking too red" along with the burnishing conversation of a few days ago, why not just polish these with black polish? Would it not darken the red color of Oxblood polish and create the red/black combination that comes from the factory? Maybe I'm being naive, so looking to learn here.post #59774 of 707375/24/15 at 12:16pmQuote:Originally Posted by Rubik1014
On this issue of "looking too red" along with the burnishing conversation of a few days ago, why not just polish these with black polish? Would it not darken the red color of Oxblood polish and create the red/black combination that comes from the factory? Maybe I'm being naive, so looking to learn here.
I still don't feel confident that I can get it to burgundy, which is the color I'm looking for. Even with black polish it seems like it would be a burnished red.
I do use a mixture of bourbon and black polish on my Carlyle, and like the depth that it gives.post #59775 of 707375/24/15 at 7:02pm
Cross-post from the Shoe Care thread, thought you gents would enjoy.
Took care of one of my favorite pairs today - my Allen Edmonds Walnut Shell Daltons. These are one of my more heavily worn pairs, so I felt they needed some TLC. They also have a few fairly large and prominent dry patches and areas of roughness, so I felt like they needed some nourishment. They also have a few small dark blue marks that bled from my UNIQLO selvedge raw denim jeans.
First, I wet-brushed them: I got them very damp with a cloth, and while they were still wet, I brushed them until they were dry. This didn't really do much except clear off the dirt and dust and grime, and helped take out some of the denim bleed marks.
Next, I put on a latex glove and applied healthy doses of Bick 4 all over the boots, including the bellowed tongues (and inside the crease that the bellows form). I got the boots fairly heavily moisturized with Bick 4, and then brushed them down until the Bick 4 was absorbed as much as it can be, especially in the dry spots. By this point, the boots had lost most of their natural shine and were fairly dull.
Most of the nicks and scratches and dry spots were neutralized by the Bick 4 and the brushing, but I decided to apply some Alden tan paste wax, since they'd never been given any paste wax. The paste wax worked quite well and actually matched the color of the boots surprisingly well. I think it would work quite nicely on Ravello or Whiskey shell, too. I applied the paste wax sparingly, with a different latex glove, rubbed the wax to a dull surface all over the boots, and then brushed each boot for at least 5 minutes.
Finally, I buffed each boot with a polishing cloth, paying special attention to the toe, heel, and vamp areas. I then applied Allen Edmonds Chili edge dressing, which worked quite nicely.
All said and done, I'm quite impressed with how well it all worked. The dry spots/patches are nice and smooth now, the mottled patina is still present, but the boots have a nice luster and shine that's fairly tough for me to achieve using the usual methods.
It's especially fun when you're dripping in sweat after giving a pair of shoes or boots some care.
I don't have any before pics, but these are definitely the best they've looked yet.
The first "after" image is without flash, and fairly accurately represents how they look in most situations, but since it's already dark outside I couldn't get a nice natural light shot. The second "after" image is with flash, just because I think they look cool with the flash since it really highlights the variation in the shell.
This thread is locked
- Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 2 minutes ago
- › WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style 3 minutes ago
- › 2016 50 Book Challenge 16 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds x Massdrop Unlined Chukka Boot Review/Info 19 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 20 minutes ago
- › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread 23 minutes ago
- › Momotaro 27 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin's,... 38 minutes ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 42 minutes ago
- › Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)? 46 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...