or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 3982  

post #59716 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcman311 View Post


No, I would not accept those as firsts, even on their clearance pricing. But, its only the first picture that makes me decide that, the rest of the pics are fine.

 

The breaks in the leather and the black dot are ok? The first picture is a scuff in the seam. Picture below

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdfish View Post


I went through 3 pairs of Bleeker St "firsts" and never got a pair I would consider a first. Finally ended up with a pair that was suitable, but they squeak so bad I've still never had the courage to leave the house with them on.

I have 4 pairs of firsts bought in the last few months (Bleeckers, Strands, Strandmoks, and Gobis) and the only pair I think is worthy of being called "firsts" was the Gobis.

Quality control at AE has gotten pretty liberal. Unfortunately for me, the local AE doesn't stock many sizes so I have had to special order every pair I have and I think they reserve the iffy pairs for online and special orders. They know if they sent them to a retail store, they would never end up sold. This way they rely on people like me who don't have the patience to play the return game back and forth. If I lived closer than 50 minutes to the local AE, I would have returned every pair other than the Gobis.

Just for reference, my Strands had glue oozed out of the brogues perforations, and so when I cleaned all the excess glue off the calfskin under the glue was lighter colored than the rest of the shoe. So I have all these light colored spots on both shoes covering most areas of the perfs on the quarters of the shoes. They were also cut/sliced around the edges of a couple lacing holes, so the top layer of the shoe near the holes is peeling off.

The Bleeckers squeak like mad, and have tiger striping and a misaligned tongue on one shoe.

Strandmoks have misaligned lacing holes on one of the shoes.

I still love the shoes, but now expect basically I'll likely end up with shoes that have defects, and essentially pay firsts price for shoes I consider seconds.

I did try to order seconds a couple times, but those were horrid and unwearable. They shouldn't even be trying to sell shoes like the ones I received as seconds.

Where do they squeak? Did you keep them? 

I bought these to replace a pair of shoes that squeak so that'll be a bad situation...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post

@Jigg everythjng on the Bleeckers looks par for the course except that seam at the back. The pic is so blurry I can't really tell, but if that's a tear in the deen I would absolutely send back.

I also went through 3 pairs of Bleeckers and sent them all back.
 

It's a scuff in the seam, here's a new picture. The others are ok to you as firsts? Isn't the leather "off"?

 

 

post #59717 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigg View Post

The breaks in the leather and the black dot are ok? The first picture is a scuff in the seam. Picture below

Where do they squeak? Did you keep them? 
I bought these to replace a pair of shoes that squeak so that'll be a bad situation...

It's a scuff in the seam, here's a new picture. The others are ok to you as firsts? Isn't the leather "off"?

 

The shaft is going to crease anyway where those wrinkles are. But I'm not down with that seem.

However, they're your boots, so it's really up to your own tolerance. If you're going to get annoyed every time you wear them, it's not a good purchase.
post #59718 of 70737
^+1
Mine have creased exactly where yours are showing. I dont care, theyre boots so most people cant see it anyway
post #59719 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigg View Post
 

 

The breaks in the leather and the black dot are ok? The first picture is a scuff in the seam. Picture below

The others are ok to you as firsts? Isn't the leather "off"?

 

The seam is certainly the worst offender. As for the other issues, no these boots are not flawless, but the question is if these flaws exceed the quality of standard expected of shoes sold as AE firsts? They're Allen Edmonds, not Edward Green. You and everyone else would prefer to receive flawless shoes, but that just is not what AE delivers. I believe the shaft and even the black dot are not too rare to see in AE firsts and are generally considered acceptable by AE standards... but that said, I've received seconds where the only flaws were ones such as these.

 

Ultimately you're paying for them, so if you don't like them, send them back.

post #59720 of 70737

Thanks all for your feedback- I reached out to them and will see what they have to say.

The boots are really nice overall and hope that if I end up keeping them that scuff will be able to come out.

post #59721 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigg View Post

Thanks all for your feedback- I reached out to them and will see what they have to say.
The boots are really nice overall and hope that if I end up keeping them that scuff will be able to come out.
If it's shallow enough, a cobbler (or you) can fill in with putty and Polish over. But having to do that I would expect a reduction to 2nds pricing
post #59722 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostov View Post
 

 

The seam is certainly the worst offender. As for the other issues, no these boots are not flawless, but the question is if these flaws exceed the quality of standard expected of shoes sold as AE firsts? They're Allen Edmonds, not Edward Green. You and everyone else would prefer to receive flawless shoes, but that just is not what AE delivers. I believe the shaft and even the black dot are not too rare to see in AE firsts and are generally considered acceptable by AE standards... but that said, I've received seconds where the only flaws were ones such as these.

 

Ultimately you're paying for them, so if you don't like them, send them back.

 

If one spends $400 on shoes, they should be relatively flawless.  Comparing them to $1,300+ shoes isn't really rational.  You aren't just paying for quality control in the more expensive shoe.

 

When you can go and buy garbage shoes, but still shoes that protect your feet from the environment, for $60, a $400 shoe should be in better shape then what many are posting here.

post #59723 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzapie View Post

If one spends $400 on shoes, they should be relatively flawless.  Comparing them to $1,300+ shoes isn't really rational.  You aren't just paying for quality control in the more expensive shoe.

When you can go and buy garbage shoes, but still shoes that protect your feet from the environment, for $60, a $400 shoe should be in better shape then what many are posting here.

I agree, but did he spend 400$? Or were these on deep discount because they've been sitting in a warehouse for a while?
post #59724 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzapie View Post
 

If one spends $400 on shoes, they should be relatively flawless.  Comparing them to $1,300+ shoes isn't really rational.  You aren't just paying for quality control in the more expensive shoe.

 

When you can go and buy garbage shoes, but still shoes that protect your feet from the environment, for $60, a $400 shoe should be in better shape then what many are posting here.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post


I agree, but did he spend 400$? Or were these on deep discount because they've been sitting in a warehouse for a while?

Granted I expect more when I pay more, though these were $199 (minus various discounts), they were sold as firsts. 

Firsts is a level of quality, if they are second quality, I should be paying the seconds price.

post #59725 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post


I agree, but did he spend 400$? Or were these on deep discount because they've been sitting in a warehouse for a while?

  
I don't think it really matters what HE paid for them.  What matters is what AE expected someone at some point to pay.  That is, they expected someone to pay First Quality pricing.  That really just says something about AE.  For him, if he paid less then full retail, then maybe he will be more accepting of the QC issues. 


Edited by pizzapie - 5/22/15 at 7:26am
post #59726 of 70737
Just placed an order for a pair of Dundee 2.0 in brown burnished.

Now the 8-week waiting game begins...
post #59727 of 70737
Does anyone know anything about AE Ft Collins that's made for Nordstrom? Is it the same as the Kenilworth and on 5 last?
post #59728 of 70737
Question for all the AE experts. I found this pair on Nordstrom for a great price. It's rated 4.5 and 90% of the reviews recommend them but some of the negative comments get me thinking twice about them. What do you guys think? Here is a link to the AE shoes...

http://m.shop.nordstrom.com/s/allen-edmonds-clifton-blucher-men/2892042?origin=category&BaseUrl=Shoes
post #59729 of 70737

Meet the Browns...

 

Warning: Meet the Browns (Click to show)

 

This is my current brown shell collection.  It's missing my Dundees which are wrapping up in production now.  I'm going to sell off a couple of these (744 LTDs & Townleys) to alleviate some redundancy.  I've got a couple pair in Truffle which further adds to the redundancy.  It's hard to let them go!

post #59730 of 70737
Snuff Gobis...

ac007c2a2c3e86f7f9f05fb49e5897da.jpg
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...