or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 3946  

post #59176 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabru View Post

Good to know, thanks JS.  Now only if I can wait till fall !!

I don't know that for a fact - this one is just a guess based off of Players 2.0 sightings on the shoebank. But Paul did say they're doing a new SWB.
post #59177 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbouchard87 View Post
 


Black PA's are boring like the navy suit with a white shirt, blue tie, white pocket square combo.  Black PA's are boring like a good whiskey neat.  Sometimes boring is really a synonym for straight up class.


Like maybe a Navy blazer and grey flannel slacks, paired with a white shirt + Repp tie?  or perhaps a simple grey herringbone cashmere sportcoat - you know, the grey one every man should own?  Or a million other classic pieces that I own and wear year round?

 

At no point sir did I suggest your black PA's were "gauche" - simply a little boring for my tastes/uses...if you enjoy them, more power to you - and what I think should scarcely matter at that point

 

But feeling a need to offer me a lesson in "Class" strikes me a little like Margaret Thatcher's observation on Being A Lady:

 

"if you have to tell people you are, then you aren't"

post #59178 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGY1atTMW View Post


Like maybe a Navy blazer and grey flannel slacks, paired with a white shirt + Repp tie?  or perhaps a simple grey herringbone cashmere sportcoat - you know, the grey one every man should own?  Or a million other classic pieces that I own and wear year round?

At no point sir did I suggest your black PA's were "gauche" - simply a little boring for my tastes/uses...if you enjoy them, more power to you - and what I think should scarcely matter at that point

But feeling a need to offer me a lesson in "Class" strikes me a little like Margaret Thatcher's observation on Being A Lady:

"if you have to tell people you are, then you aren't"
Oh man...I wasn't trying to be combative sir
post #59179 of 70737

My oldest pair of AE's: Fenway's with Othello rubber sole on the 511 last. Have slowly developed a darker, slightly chili color to them. Perfect beaters for when its raining!

 

post #59180 of 70737

Re: SWB's, there was the Ithica in their orthotics line.

 

*                      *                   *

 

In addition to a SWB, AE has some other holes in its lineup of "classic" shoes, including:

 

* white buck & dirty buck (am I forgetting something?)

* pebble grained LWB (I got my walnut Macneil before they dropped it)

* loafer for folks with high insteps (they keep creating them, then dropping them, e.g. the McGraw)

* higher end boat shoe (which is weird since I think AE was involved somehow with the start up of Rancourt)  AE's made in DR boat shoe is too expensive for a cheap boat shoe and not of the same quality of a Rancourt. Sort of neither fish nor fowl.

* a (non-golf shoe) spectator.  They dropped the Broadstreet and replaced it with nothing (though you can get a spikeless Heritage for an extra $40).

post #59181 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count de Monet View Post
 

Re: SWB's, there was the Ithica in their orthotics line.

 

*                      *                   *

 

In addition to a SWB, AE has some other holes in its lineup of "classic" shoes, including:

 

* white buck & dirty buck (am I forgetting something?)

* pebble grained LWB (I got my walnut Macneil before they dropped it)

* loafer for folks with high insteps (they keep creating them, then dropping them, e.g. the McGraw)

* higher end boat shoe (which is weird since I think AE was involved somehow with the start up of Rancourt)  AE's made in DR boat shoe is too expensive for a cheap boat shoe and not of the same quality of a Rancourt. Sort of neither fish nor fowl.

* a (non-golf shoe) spectator.  They dropped the Broadstreet and replaced it with nothing (though you can get a spikeless Heritage for an extra $40).

They used to have the Spiaggia, but it seemed like they very quickly ran out of the white nubuck since I was unable to get one made in my size while they had existing shoes available. My SA tried pulling some strings, to no avail. Still a bit disappointed I don't have one, but my four Broadstreets and four Strawfuts are adequate enough for summer.

post #59182 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbouchard87 View Post


Oh man...I wasn't trying to be combative sir


then I owe you a retraction :)...and an apology...

 

FWIW, I fear too many people get hung up so easily on what's "acceptable" to wear - remember, I deal with supposedly adult men in this field every day lol...

 

But at the end, it's supposed to be about what you're comfortable wearing - without feeling out of place or self-conscious, hopefully happy and confident.

 

So I'm a little sensitive here - and you happened to bring out my rant

 

Mea Culpa sir

 

"Martini...shaken, not stirred..."  :D

post #59183 of 70737


Just received my Brooks Bros Warwick in Burnished Walnut. The toebox has a lot of volume, it's tall. It's width is on par with the Park Ave. I placed a thin shoe insert and now the shoes fit similar to the 108 last.

post #59184 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGY1atTMW View Post


then I owe you a retraction smile.gif ...and an apology...

FWIW, I fear too many people get hung up so easily on what's "acceptable" to wear - remember, I deal with supposedly adult men in this field every day lol...

But at the end, it's supposed to be about what you're comfortable wearing - without feeling out of place or self-conscious, hopefully happy and confident.

So I'm a little sensitive here - and you happened to bring out my rant

Mea Culpa sir

"Martini...shaken, not stirred..."  biggrin.gif
No definitely wear whatever you want...my point was essentially that there is often a fine line between boring and timeless
post #59185 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDad View Post
 


Just received my Brooks Bros Warwick in Burnished Walnut. The toebox has a lot of volume, it's tall. It's width is on par with the Park Ave. I placed a thin shoe insert and now the shoes fit similar to the 108 last.


Great looking pair! I was debating on getting these in Burnished Walnut, but ended up deciding on Dark Chili Burnished since I didn't have anything in the latter color. I'm honestly thinking of picking up the other two colors (Walnut and Black) the next time they run a Shoebank sale. Here's to hoping they last that long.

post #59186 of 70737

I received my first pair of seconds yesterday (Harrison) and they were a complete disaster!

On the phone I was told that they were tried on a few times but still brand new so I thought that would be fine.

When I opened the box I was quite disappointed to see that the shoes looked as if they had been recrafted. The

soles were new but the insole was very worn (and dirty).

The toplines were soft as if someone was putting them on without a shoe horn, repaired scuffs in the toe area, and a large gash in the leather.

 

From what I've read a pair of AE Seconds occasionally have minor flaws so I'm in a bit of disbelief here.

Has anyone else had or heard of an experience like this?

post #59187 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigg View Post
 

I received my first pair of seconds yesterday (Harrison) and they were a complete disaster!

On the phone I was told that they were tried on a few times but still brand new so I thought that would be fine.

When I opened the box I was quite disappointed to see that the shoes looked as if they had been recrafted. The

soles were new but the insole was very worn (and dirty).

The toplines were soft as if someone was putting them on without a shoe horn, repaired scuffs in the toe area, and a large gash in the leather.

 

From what I've read a pair of AE Seconds occasionally have minor flaws so I'm in a bit of disbelief here.

Has anyone else had or heard of an experience like this?


It happens. It's a risk you take when buying seconds. Some seconds look pretty good, while others look very rough.

post #59188 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGKIII View Post
 

... my four Broadstreets and four Strawfuts are adequate enough for summer.

 

Wow.  Four each?  Colors?  Pics?

 

I'd love a Heritage or Broadstreet with linen in place of the bone leather.

 

By the way, here's a link to a golf site that has 2nds of various AE golf shoes for $99.95.

 

http://www.golflocker.com/golf-shoes/allen-edmonds-honors-collection-cosmetic-blems

post #59189 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGKIII View Post

They used to have the Spiaggia, but it seemed like they very quickly ran out of the white nubuck since I was unable to get one made in my size while they had existing shoes available. My SA tried pulling some strings, to no avail. Still a bit disappointed I don't have one, but my four Broadstreets and four Strawfuts are adequate enough for summer.
The spiaggia wasn't exactly a white buck, it was a shortwing bal. AE kinda insists on kinda sorta playing around with classic styles instead of offering them straight up.
post #59190 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSO1 View Post
 


It happens. It's a risk you take when buying seconds. Some seconds look pretty good, while others look very rough.

I get the risk on a flaw but them being used and worn in should not qualify as "seconds".

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...