or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 3939  

post #59071 of 70737
How about these?



Walnut rutledge. Looks like you don't have an Adelaide.

(Btw please excuse my wearing these with khakis. I'm just trying to figure out if I should sell these or not since- although I love them- I literally haven't worn them in ten months.)
post #59072 of 70737

Happy Monday, Gents!

Walnut McT's for me today...

 

post #59073 of 70737
Wearing the RL Singletons today.

post #59074 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc808314 View Post

Just placed an order for the shell Westchester by directly calling CAC. I was told that they are seconds.

 

Yes, anything on the shoebank is considered a second and is sold as such. However, my impression is that shoes are will be labeled seconds because they're deemed unsuitable for sale as firsts -- which is not always a flaw, but may be a matter of age, or an inability to move inventory.

 

I wonder if they're worried about some of this old shell drying out?

post #59075 of 70737

 

Brooks Brothers Dark Chili Warwicks came in last week and saw their first wear on Saturday. Wearing them again today because they're my new favorites. Pretty flawless aside from some extra burnishing/slight tiger striping on the right shoe, but in person it honestly looks more like patina. Guess the left shoe has some catching up to do!

 

On a personal note (and not to be too much of a me-monster) but the extra creasing on the right shoe is from getting down on one knee and proposing on Saturday!

post #59076 of 70737
...and she said????!!!!

PS: best to offer full disclosure of the shoe collecting bug up front, as it may affect her decision.

PPS: On second thought, as long as you haven't dabbled in cordovan too much, you'll probably be okay wink.gif
post #59077 of 70737

Congrats, BD!!! Surely she couldn't say no with you in dark chili, right?

post #59078 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post

...and she said????!!!!

PS: best to offer full disclosure of the shoe collecting bug up front, as it may affect her decision.

PPS: On second thought, as long as you haven't dabbled in cordovan too much, you'll probably be okay wink.gif

 

Yes!

 

And later when she noticed the shoes: "I haven't seen those before, are those new?"

 

To which I replied: "You got a ring, I got these - for a hell of a deal ($159)" haha.

 

She's a shoe woman herself, so I think I have a way to go before I'm treading on thin ice. She said she likes how organized the AE boxes look in my closet lol. Only one pair of shell...so far!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by middlepP View Post
 

Congrats, BD!!! Surely she couldn't say no with you in dark chili, right?

 

Thank you! I was hoping these would be my lucky shoes, and they were.

post #59079 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Dynamite View Post

Yes!

And later when she noticed the shoes: "I haven't seen those before, are those new?"

To which I replied: "You got a ring, I got these - for a hell of a deal ($159)" haha.

She's a shoe woman herself, so I think I have a way to go before I'm treading on thin ice. She said she likes how organized the AE boxes look in my closet lol. Only one pair of shell...so far!


Thank you! I was hoping these would be my lucky shoes, and they were.

If you're interested in your second pair of shell, we're talking about a GMTO for the Rogue in brown shell over in the AE MTO thread...
post #59080 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Dynamite View Post




Brooks Brothers Dark Chili Warwicks came in last week and saw their first wear on Saturday. Wearing them again today because they're my new favorites. Pretty flawless aside from some extra burnishing/slight tiger striping on the right shoe, but in person it honestly looks more like patina. Guess the left shoe has some catching up to do!

On a personal note (and not to be too much of a me-monster) but the extra creasing on the right shoe is from getting down on one knee and proposing on Saturday!

Congratulations on getting engaged!

Do the shoes come with the poron insole and the v tread sole? How is the fit on those compared to some other popular AE's?
post #59081 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFCreddevil View Post
 

Guys,

 

I have a dilemma.  What shoe in walnut do I buy?  

 

I have the following suits as I where them everyday:

- Navy sharkskin 

- Navy pinstripe

- Charcoal

- Black

- Med Grey

- Tan Poplin

 

and several sport coats (Chocolate, Grey herringbone, brown tweed, blue chambray)

 

I have Bourbon Strands and Black Park Avenues to start.

 

Next I want to snag Merlot McAllisters.  

 

I'm between these for the Walnut though.  I think the Strands would be too close the the Bourbon Strands.  Part of me think having a non-brogue brown shoe would be a good option to have.  Thanks for everyone's thoughts!

 

 

 

Let's see, five of your six suits are med-gray or darker and many of your SC's are dark, and of the two dress shoes you have, one is essentially a walnut shoe with heavy burnishing, and part of you wants to buy another walnut shoe?  I think that other part of you (see bolded) is on the right track.  I'd listen to it.

 

I don't know how often you wear the sport coats, as opposed to the suits, but you might consider not going with four bals if you wear the SC's with regularity.

 

So, one line up might be:

 

#1 black PA  (you already have)

#2 brown FA or equivalent from another maker

#3 bourbon Strands (you already have)

#4 burg longwings  (perhaps splurge on shell Macneils?)

 

That way you have two classic CBD shoes for suits, the Strands to bridge the gap between casual suits and SC's, and the gunboats just because. :D

 

If work is almost all suits all the time, and odd jackets only occasionally, you might go:

 

#1 black PA  (you already have)

#2 brown FA or equivalent from another maker

#3 burg McAllisters or shell Cambridges

#4 bourbon Strands (you already have)

 

If you go with a four bal line-up, you should consider a future #5 to be a loafer or LWB in brown/burg shell.

post #59082 of 70737

Thanks for the detailed thoughts!

 

Yes I know that Bourbon and Walnut are similar.  I really love the Walnut shoes though.  

 

When you say Brown in #2 are you saying Brown Burnished (ie dark brown)?  I haven't really considered the dark brown as I was thinking of the Bourbon Stands serving that role.

post #59083 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc808314 View Post


Congratulations on getting engaged!

Do the shoes come with the poron insole and the v tread sole? How is the fit on those compared to some other popular AE's?

 

Thanks CC!

 

They do have the poron insole, v-tread sole and combination heel. The insole did take up a bit of extra room, but the snugness is subsiding fair quickly/comfortably. I took the same size as my 65 and 108 lasts (13D). The extra instep height is almost negligible thanks to the insole, but still welcome since I have a pretty high instep. Heel-to-ball hits me dead on (the 65 h-to-b is a tad long). Might just be my foot, but I seem to have a bit of extra toe length compared to the 65. The 201 is both beautiful, and my favorite last.

post #59084 of 70737

I have a pair of new Brooks Brothers perforated captoes, which I believe are made by AE, and the squeak like CRAZY. I am considering returning them. It seems that the poron insert compresses when I put my weight down and squeaks. It is unbelievably annoying.

post #59085 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Dynamite View Post
 

The 201 is both beautiful, and my favorite last.

 

One of my favorite lasts, agreed. I'm glad they're keeping it around and bringing out more offerings in it.

 

PS - the shell Rogue GMTO is up to 6 interested folks, in case you want to treat yo self after your engagement!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...