or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 3919  

post #58771 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwatts2005 View Post

I've been a 10.5 D for about 25 years in other shoes. I came to AE this year, and all of my pairs are 10.5 D, five last Strand, McAllister, Shreveport, and also other lasts including Gobi and Hale. I confess I don't understand all these sizing posts.

I'm a 7.5c-8b on the Brannock, and I take one of those two sizes in just about everything (besides egregiously mislabeled lasts like Alden's Barrie) including the 5 last.
post #58772 of 70737
There is an effort to put together a group MTO by Monday, with the following specs:

Bob's Chili Heritage MTO

Bob's Chili/Dark Burnished Chili
Tone on tone stitching
Chili flat welt
Dark Brown welt stitch
Wheeling and fudging
Dainite outsole (possible leather midsole)
Independence insole and lining
Dark brown transparent edge dressing
$199 shipped CONUS -GMTO price

More details are available on the Allen Edmonds MTO thread. This would be a nice balmoral wingtip, for an unbeatable price. Check it out if you are interested.
post #58773 of 70737
Stopped by the Philly AE store today to look around. I'm always reminded of how much better the shoes look in person and how god awful the photographs on AE's site are.

Looked at a pair of oxblood Daltons but decided the color is too purple for me. A Bob's Chili Dalton may be in my future.

I also rekindled my love affair with the brown Vernon. What a beautiful shoe on a great last.

Also, I was at the Ralph Lauren store in the city yesterday and although I already own a few of them, the AE made for RL shoes look so beautiful when they're brand new.

No pics, so I guess this post is mostly useless. But up until now the only time I've been able to browse different AE models in person was at a Nordstom Rack elsewhere. Seeing all these shoes together in person made me wish I was a billionaire.
post #58774 of 70737
Goodbye, Park Aves... Hello, Harrisons...

7ogUCVPh.jpg
post #58775 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwatts2005 View Post
I confess I don't understand all these sizing posts.

 

My personal opinion is that some people get a little obsessive over sizing and fit.  I won't wear shoes that hurt, but otherwise not all of my shoes fit me the same way and I don't mind that a bit.  I'll wear thicker or thinner socks depending; I'll also avoid certain shoes if I know I'll have to do a lot of walking that day.  I also don't obsess over whether my shoes are creasing or rolling in the "right" places.  It may be easier for me to have this attitude when my rotation is as big as it is.

post #58776 of 70737

I have a pair of Leeds in brown calf with a Vibram Gumlite® sole. It is supposed to pour tomorrow during church. As these are my only rain shoes, could I get away with pairing them with a light gray suit? I am currently polishing them using the shoe snob method. If I can get a shine on them, what do you think? 

 

BTW, I am the minister, so I will be up in front of everyone.

post #58777 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEgoiste View Post

Goodbye, Park Aves... Hello, Harrisons...

7ogUCVPh.jpg

Are these older shoes, or were they bought as seconds?

post #58778 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Savage View Post

I have a pair of Leeds in brown calf with a Vibram Gumlite® sole. It is supposed to pour tomorrow during church. As these are my only rain shoes, could I get away with pairing them with a light gray suit? I am currently polishing them using the shoe snob method. If I can get a shine on them, what do you think? 

BTW, I am the minister, so I will be up in front of everyone.
I think you'll be fine.

http://www.thefineyounggentleman.com/pants/what-color-shoes-to-wear-with-what-color-pants/
post #58779 of 70737
Quote:

It isn't so much the color combo I'm worried about as the casual nature of Leeds with a suit. Are they too casual for formal attire?
post #58780 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Savage View Post

It isn't so much the color combo I'm worried about as the casual nature of Leeds with a suit. Are they too casual for formal attire?
Technically yes, but it's in dark brown smooth dress calf, which is way up there on the dressy scale. Plus, it's a plain toe dress shoe.

We obsess quite a bit about the "rules," but at the end of the day, the fornality of leather and simplicity of adornment (ie no broguing etc) will win out over the blucher vs bal conundrum.

Plus, you'll be wearing a robe, right?

Methinks thou wilst be fine.
post #58781 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by James60 View Post

Are these older shoes, or were they bought as seconds?

I bought them from the ShoeBank last month and been wearing them in the office 2-3x a week. They're much more comfortable than my Park Aves.
post #58782 of 70737
Question for you guys if you would be so kind. I have the following;

Park Ave. black
Strand. Walnut
Kenilworth. Bourbon
Lasalle. Chili
Dalton. Oxblood

I'm thinking of getting another pair and am thinking daltons in walnut but I already have the Dalton and a shoe in walnut. I'm wondering if this is the best solution if I want to expand on versatility. I'm not much into penny loafers or tassels. Thoughts? Thanks!
post #58783 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamelroberto View Post

Question for you guys if you would be so kind. I have the following;

Park Ave. black
Strand. Walnut
Kenilworth. Bourbon
Lasalle. Chili
Dalton. Oxblood

I'm thinking of getting another pair and am thinking daltons in walnut but I already have the Dalton and a shoe in walnut. I'm wondering if this is the best solution if I want to expand on versatility. I'm not much into penny loafers or tassels. Thoughts? Thanks!
I think you need a wingtip.
How about that chili Heritage design they're putting together as a group MTO? Check out the Allen Edmonds MTO thread if you're interested in a first-quality short-wing design for $199.
post #58784 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post

Technically yes, but it's in dark brown smooth dress calf, which is way up there on the dressy scale. Plus, it's a plain toe dress shoe.

We obsess quite a bit about the "rules," but at the end of the day, the fornality of leather and simplicity of adornment (ie no broguing etc) will win out over the blucher vs bal conundrum.

Plus, you'll be wearing a robe, right?

Methinks thou wilst be fine.

Ha! No robe, but they took a shine much better than I expected. Here is the finished product.

post #58785 of 70737
If I had that collection and your preferences, I would add a McAllister. Chili would be good. I would also jump on that MTO mentioned above, if I didnt have a wingtip.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...