Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 3914  

post #58696 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWTeal View Post
 

For anyone in Manhattan today:

 

 

Thanks for the info. I'll stop by tonight and ask the CEO about the new tiger stripe models.

post #58697 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEgoiste View Post
 

 

Thanks for the info. I'll stop by tonight and ask the CEO about the new tiger stripe models.


My understanding is that the striping is caused by variations in the leather, which are greatly amplified by the heat applied during the burnishing process. The burnishing process, when completed, actually ends up bringing out the striping. Unfortunately, this isn't something that they can discern until after the burnishing has been applied, it seems.

post #58698 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSO1 View Post
 


My understanding is that the striping is caused by variations in the leather, which are greatly amplified by the heat applied during the burnishing process. The burnishing process, when completed, actually ends up bringing out the striping. Unfortunately, this isn't something that they can discern until after the burnishing has been applied, it seems.


If this is true and the striping is a new phenomenon, then they must have switched leather providers.  If this is the case, the cost of the new stuff must be low enough to offset the lost revenue stemming from the quantity of second-quality classified shoes.  Hopefully the lower cost leather isn't also lower in quality.

post #58699 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzapie View Post
 


If this is true and the striping is a new phenomenon, then they must have switched leather providers.  If this is the case, the cost of the new stuff must be low enough to offset the lost revenue stemming from the quantity of second-quality classified shoes.  Hopefully the lower cost leather isn't also lower in quality.

 

I don't think the striping is a new phenomenon, necessarily. Bourbon was always affected by the issue, and that color has been around for a few years. I've seen pairs from a while back at the shoe bank that were heavily striped. I think they've also started burnishing Walnut more heavily, which could explain why we're seeing it more on Walnut. And of course, Oxblood and Dark Chili are both burnished finishes, so they're churning out a lot more burnished leathers than before.

 

It's just a bit surprising to see striping on firsts.

post #58700 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWTeal View Post

For anyone in Manhattan today:



I got this too. Wish I could go! Paul is a good hang. I enjoyed speaking with him during the Horween trunk show.
post #58701 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSO1 View Post
 

 

I don't think the striping is a new phenomenon, necessarily. Bourbon was always affected by the issue, and that color has been around for a few years. I've seen pairs from a while back at the shoe bank that were heavily striped. I think they've also started burnishing Walnut more heavily, which could explain why we're seeing it more on Walnut. And of course, Oxblood and Dark Chili are both burnished finishes, so they're churning out a lot more burnished leathers than before.

 

It's just a bit surprising to see striping on firsts.

 

Is this the striping you are referring to?  I noticed a little and it's clear that it's due to the leather when you feel it.

 

post #58702 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFCreddevil View Post
 

 

Is this the striping you are referring to?  I noticed a little and it's clear that it's due to the leather when you feel it.

 


Yes, although on some pairs it is significantly more noticeable than on others (like yours). On some pairs it looks almost like the entire shoe is zebra/tiger-striped.

post #58703 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFCreddevil View Post
 

Maiden voyage for the Bourbon Strands today!  :D  I was so used to seeing Walnut in person that I was surprised how "dark" the Bourbon turned out.  12.5D so they have to build them as they didn't have them in stock.  Next on my list McAllister in Merlot and Walnut!  

 

Good choice for today.  I chose the same.

post #58704 of 70737

Took out my shells for some cleaning/photos today. Mostly AE, so I x-posted this here from the shell thread.

 

From L to R:

 

AE MacNeil, Natural shell

Carmina 922, Cognac shell

AE Dalton, Walnut shell

AE Strand, Brown shell

Florsheim Royal Imperial, Color #8

AE Dundee, Navy shell

 

EDIT: replaced photos with better ones.

 

pNiDmYh.jpg oNkyIUV.jpg BjILEov.jpg Kiln6wv.jpg 7UOWTzO.jpg PZBeitr.jpg
Edited by JSO1 - 4/23/15 at 11:48am
post #58705 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSO1 View Post
 

Took out my shells for some cleaning/photos today. Mostly AE, so I x-posted this here from the shell thread.

 

From L to R:

 

AE MacNeil, Natural shell

Carmina 922, Cognac shell

AE Dalton, Walnut shell

AE Strand, Brown shell

Florsheim Royal Imperial, Color #8

AE Dundee, Navy shell

 

I'll take some better photos at some point (my iPhone isn't cutting it anymore)...

 

...

 

Saw the pictures and immediately thought "that's not too many shoes to own, what's this guy talking about with enabling and such?". Read and realized it was only your shells... guess you weren't joking. :blush:

 

Very nice btw.

post #58706 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sane View Post
 

 

Saw the pictures and immediately thought "that's not too many shoes to own, what's this guy talking about with enabling and such?". Read and realized it was only your shells... guess you weren't joking. :blush:

 

Very nice btw.


Thanks. I've actually sold a bunch of my calfskin pairs to accommodate these in the wallet/closet.

 

I actually have a list of shoes, broken down by casual, business casual, and business, to prevent myself from straying too heavily into one category or the other...

 

The real issue is that I love boots, but won't have terribly many occasions to wear them. I also love longwings. 

post #58707 of 70737

Ran into another issue regarding the belt. Plan was to get a merlot Poplar belt ( http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF96630_1_40000000001_-1?style=96635 ), but they no longer have my size (34-35 pant). Closest affordable thing I see to a merlot in my size is Sheridan Dress belt ( http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF14618_1_40000000001_-1?style=14618 ). Opinions / suggestions? These plan on mostly being worn with chinos and fitted button ups / OCBD.

 

Also getting a pair of tan Elgins for chinos and jean use, so if you know or see a sale belt that'll pair with that it's very much appreciated! I'm still very new so have little experience pairing shoes and belts myself.

post #58708 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sane View Post

Ran into another issue regarding the belt. Plan was to get a merlot Poplar belt ( http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF96630_1_40000000001_-1?style=96635 ), but they no longer have my size (34-35 pant). Closest affordable thing I see to a merlot in my size is Sheridan Dress belt ( http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF14618_1_40000000001_-1?style=14618 ). Opinions / suggestions? These plan on mostly being worn with chinos and fitted button ups / OCBD.

Also getting a pair of tan Elgins for chinos and jean use, so if you know or see a sale belt that'll pair with that it's very much appreciated! I'm still very new so have little experience pairing shoes and belts myself.
There is a new belt coming out in the true oxblood color. Not sure when, but I have seen it. It is similar to the Manistee but has the perfs running down the center of the belt instead of the edges.
post #58709 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtchr1989 View Post

I am somewhat new to Allen Edmonds (bought my first pair about 6 months ago), and now I am working on expanding my collection because I am finishing school and starting work in a professional (legal) setting. The office I work at is typically business casual, but we dress up 2-3 times/week for meetings/court appearances.

I am looking to diversify my lineup while still keeping mainly to the classics.

Here is what I have so far:
1. Park Ave - Black - 9EEE (Great fitting and very comfortable)
2. Fifth Ave - Bourbon - 9EEE (Slightly loose but very comfortable)
3. Strand - Oxblood - 8.5EEE (Snug but still comfortable)
* I also have two Cole Haan loafers in burgundy and black and two pairs of chukka style boots in brown that I rotate on casual work days.

This week I ordered:
1. McAllister - Black - 9EEE (during the sale and I should get them tomorrow) 
2. Norwich Monk Strap - Brown - 9EEE ($157 off the shoebank for a second quality)

I am trying to decide if the new Black McAllister's and the new Brown Norwich's are the best shoes to add. I typically wear navy or medium grey suits. The other days in the office are dark jeans or khakis.

I would love to get some feedback on a good combination of shoes given my 3 pairs I already have and new pairs coming.

Thanks!

I wore my McAllisters today and they are great. I wore the Norwich's around the house last night and they actually feel very comfortable as well.

Any feedback on continuing to add to my collection?
post #58710 of 70737
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtchr1989 View Post


I wore my McAllisters today and they are great. I wore the Norwich's around the house last night and they actually feel very comfortable as well.

Any feedback on continuing to add to my collection?


You could use a derby, especially for those dark jeans days. Consider the Rogue in Bob's/Dark Chili?

 

Or, if you want another oxford for business casual but still want something interesting, consider the University in Bob's/Dark Chili?

 

I think something in Bob's/Dark Chili would complement your collection nicely, as it's less red than Oxblood but much more rich and interesting (and versatile) than Walnut.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...