Hey guys. What is the sleekest AE penny loafer? I'd like to get a pair for the summer but don't want anything blobby. Thanks!!
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAllen Edmondstagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Malvern Boottagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- itemAllen Edmonds Men's Wilbert Lace-Uptagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- categoryBootstagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/18/11
- topicShell Cordovantagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by Murlsquirl, 4/3/15
Related Forum Threads
- The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread Last post on 10/11/16 at 8:29am in Classic Menswear
- Size 9 Shoes: Grenson Tassel Loafers and Tommy Hilfiger Oxford Boots Last post on 11/27/11 at 5:58pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on Today at 3:49 pm in Classic Menswear
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E $2,200 Last post on 9/13/15 at 2:32am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
Last edited: 2/9/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Allen Edmond Park Avenue sizingLast edited: 1/27/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOsLast edited: 5/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... - Page 3868post #58007 of 707374/8/15 at 2:42pmQuote:Originally Posted by JSO1
I would suggest you get sized on a Brannock device for a starting point, and then try on some different lasts at Nordstrom or an AE store to get a sense of what will work for you.
It's unfortunately very difficult to figure this stuff out without having a frame of reference - most people use the 5 last as their AE sizing benchmark since it's so popular.
I measure out at left (8.5B) and right (8C) on Brannock.For reference, I struggle with the 5 last with plain/punched cap toes (way too much excess leather on around vamp/toe area. I do have the Park Avenues in 8C, but not too happy with the fit. However, the McAllisters and Strands are not too bed. Currently testing the Norwich on 2 last, and while it is a bit snug, I like how it feels in 7.5D. Daltons are ok in 8D, and my 8.5C Byrons are a bit large (can probabely go with 8C or 8.5B). Also, I have a brand new pair of Long Branch boots in 8D sitting in my closet as I don't wear them as I have way too much room in the toe box.post #58008 of 707374/8/15 at 5:52pmQuote:Originally Posted by pizzapie
Have any of you guys with high insteps found certain lasts to be more forgiving/ comfortable? I have, what I believe to be, a normal arch, however my instep has forced me to go up a width in shoe (108 last and still not 100% comfortable) and am thinking about purchasing some new shoes during the Anniversary Sale, and would like something more accommodating.
High arch / instep is always an issue for me so I feel like I have to comment on this. The 65 last with what I will call non-standard leathers (like that used for the Neumok, Rush Street, etc.) have been pretty good. I say that because things like the Park Ave / Strand, etc. are somewhat of a problem. The 222 last is definitely better for me than the 65 in this regard, but a lot of people complain about narrow width. The 97 has been pretty good. Never tried the 201, but from what I read, that may be the best bet.
Oh, and last but certainly not least, try the 606 - no arch / instep issues there.
I can't seem to fit anything on the 108 due to arch/instep.post #58009 of 707374/8/15 at 6:45pmpost #58010 of 707374/8/15 at 7:07pmQuote:Originally Posted by pizzapie
Thanks! I do very much like the look of the new Rogues! I have only tried on shoes in the 108 last (as there are many discontinued/cheap models available), do you have any experience in the sizing comparisons? Do you find the 201 last to be true(r) to your Brannock size?
I tried on the Rogues this week. I wear 9.5D in 95% of my AE's - several different lasts. And I have a relatively high instep. The Rogue fit me best in 9D. The 9.5D had toomuch volume in the toebox and looked like it would have some bad / weird creasing.
Just my experience.
Chrispost #58011 of 707374/8/15 at 7:17pmI stopped by the local store last week to try on the Rogue. I was disappointed but not too surprised that they didn't have one in my size to try. They told me that the last is similar to the 65 last. They brought out one pair of another shoe to try, but nothing else. I'm not sure if it was my unusual size (13B) or what.
I have to admit that the shoe they brought out to try was awesome. They brought out a chili McGregor and it fit like someone built them on my feet while I slept. Hands down, that was the best-fitting shoe I've ever tried (even compared to my other 13B shoes on that last).
How I wish that I could afford to buy that shoe right now.post #58012 of 707374/9/15 at 3:23amQuote:
They are very nice shoes. Probably picking up a few different pairs next week; back in the beginning of March I tried the Kiowa and the San Marco - wound up not going with either of them as I had literally just gotten the Black Hills like a week before, but I like the Black Hills so much I'll probably get one of them this time.
The San Marco has that heavy lug sole similar to the Black Hills but it looks much more sleek. The arch/instep I thought was better than with the Black Hills, not by a huge amount but noticeable to me (meaning higher). The width was significantly more narrow - the Black Hills feel roomy to me (as do most other 65 last styles in a D width) - the San Marco in a D width was what I would consider my bare minimum.
Hard to compare this to the 108 - I just don't get a good fit with anything on that. I guess I would say the width of the 108 is greater than with the San Marco but the arch/instep just ruins it for me.post #58013 of 707374/9/15 at 3:34amQuote:Originally Posted by rostov
Anyone know what style we're expecting from the Varno 2.0? Can't find any references online to the "1.0" version, so it's probably a resurrected style from long ago?
I see it on the shoebank in Dark Chili Burnish and Black.
I'm also seeing a bunch of regular shoes coming up, prefixed by "Ja". Perhaps the JAB seconds are finally coming online?
Those Varno 2.0 are on clearance right now @ $249. I wonder if they will go lower during the upcoming sales. Very tempting.
Comparison to Leeds below. Other than the sole (double vs. mini lug), I imagine they are the same?post #58014 of 707374/9/15 at 6:20am
Got an email for an 'exclusive customer sneak peek' for the Anniversary Sale. Didn't notice anything new from the earlier reports, but check your emails if you were eying something
Does anyone know if the Shoe Bank is having an Anniversary Sale as well?post #58015 of 707374/9/15 at 6:32amQuote:
They also have select shoes going on sale in conjunction with the anniversary sale. Someone posted the list and prices a few (or more) pages back.post #58016 of 707374/9/15 at 6:36ampost #58017 of 707374/9/15 at 6:37am
Thanks, i'll have to take a look & see!
Looks like it's live now. Saw this on the shoe bank site:
"Anniversary Sale now through April 27th, 2015. Save an additional 20-25% on select factory second calfskin styles - Park Avenue, Strand, University, Grayson, Cody, Carlyle and more now $219. Wilbert, Clark Street and others now $179. Prices are as indicated below."post #58018 of 707374/9/15 at 6:50ampost #58019 of 707374/9/15 at 6:59ampost #58020 of 707374/9/15 at 7:25amQuote:
I too have low insteps and flat feet. Would love suggestions on specific lasts or models. (Been fitted in multiple AE stores/SAs/managers, so I have an idea of what size is recommended - but not necessarily what last/models would be more accommodating.)
This thread is locked
- Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
- › Romantic Europe meets NYC: the ROBERT GELLER thread 2 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 4 minutes ago
- › Custom Suiting Toronto 5 minutes ago
- › The Official RRL Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Baby Powder in shoes -- when sockless 7 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate Toronto Thread 8 minutes ago
- › The Home Ownership Thread 8 minutes ago
- › Eidos Napoli 10 minutes ago
- › Beams F earth-color plaid fine-worsted tweed Jacket size 36S,... 10 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 11 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...